Lots of questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lots of questions Lots of questions

Unread 03-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Lots of questions

I am 30 years old. I have two beautiful daughters and a wonderful, caring husband. The best husband in the world. Oh, Also, I am finished having children.

Last year I went to see a urologist about recurring UTI's and he told me the only way to fix my dropped bladder would be to have a full hysterectomy. And then left it up to me as to what I would want to do, especially with being so young.

I went to my new gyn this last Wednesday. My complaints were of painful periods, heavy bleeding, painful intercourse, spotting in between periods, low back pain, daily cramps and the dropped bladder that leaks urine all the time.

He felt around in there and it was of course very painful and said that my right ovary was inflamed and infected and that the right side of my uterus was ridged. He said that with all the symptoms I came with and with the right side of the ovary and uterus being like they were, there was a very big indication of endometriosis. (My mother had a hysterectomy last year for a total hyster w/ lots of endo.) They performed a vaginal ultrasound (which was very painful) and confirmed the enlarged ovary on the right.

He wrote a script for Metronidazole for the infection and imflamation to take for 5 days vaginally.

He also scheduled me for a total hysterectomy abdominally for April 19, 2004.

My husband is totally fine with whatever will help me.

My mother was very happy for me too, until my father spoke up. He told her that intercourse just isn't the same. He says it does't feel the same. She also says that she hurts with intercourse (but she has never liked sex). Also, she can't take hormones because of blood clotting, which would be the same for me.

My questions are:

Is there anything further I need to ask the doctor? (I myself am fine with it, but now feel bad because of what my mom has said)

Is it going to feel different for my husband?

Am I going to hurt with intercourse?

Are there going to be options for me as far as hormones go, even though I can't take the normal hormones?

My mother also said that having one shortens your life span. Is that true?

I appreciate all the help that I know I will get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2004, 03:28 PM
My opinion

Hi
I am kind of new here. My surgery isn't until around the first of May.

I know several friends who had hysterectomies and their sex life is fine. Perhaps like you said, your mother just does not care for sex. Also, you father might feel that its' different because he expects it to be but maybe it really isn't ???
Most people tell me that getting rid of the pain and the bleeding and no fear of pregnancy helps make sex more enjoyable.

Perhaps you could check in with a compounding pharmacist . My understanding is they do not use synthetic medications. There is lots of information on the Hormone Jungle section of this board and also on the internet. It is something I am going to look into as blood clots run in both sides of my family. Find one in your area if you can and stop in one day and tell them of your concerns. See what they think about blood clots and HRT.

Just keep researching and try not to pay a lot of attention to others remarks. They often think they are being helpful.
Also, each of us is different. What goes for one person doesn't for the other. If you feel you will get negative information from someone try not to talk to them in depth if possible. Just tell them I am taking it one day at a time.
Hang in there.
Sharon
Unread 03-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Lots of questions

Hi and a warm welcome to Hystersisters where you will find a wonderful group of kind women eager to share their experiences with you. If you have not perused the site yet, as a new LIW you may want to look at the following pre-op and post-op articles:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsl...s=&forumid=170
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsl...s=&forumid=171
Unless you feel uncomfortable, I suggest you raise the questions in your post with your doctor too. Re your parents' responses re sex post-H, that may be a function of what they expected. We all know the mind plays an exceedingly important role in sex and IMHO ones post-H sex life can be as good or bad as one makes it to be. Also, I would not worry about shortening your life because of this operation; not certain where your mom may have picked that up since I never heard it before.
Please come back with any additional questions your may have or just to vent if that is ever needed. Many s and blessings, peggiesue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2004, 04:57 PM
metronidazole

Thank you for the information you have shared.
My mother is scheduled for surgery May 21st.
She knows very little information and I am finding that this site is loaded with helpful info to relate to her.
Thank you to everyone participating .
Heather.L
Unread 04-14-2004, 09:00 PM
Lots of questions

My grandmother had a hyst and she's now 88. Said it was the easiest surgery to recover from that she's ever had. I don't think it affects your life span.
Unread 04-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Lots of questions

My mom was 80, when she had her TVH bladder repair (five years ago) and she kept reassuring me it was a piece of cake. My dad was still alive when she had it but they never resumed having sex. I don't think they had sex the ten years prior because she had problems with her uterus and bladder protruding through her vaginal opening. So I could never ask her how sex was or ask my dad. My mom is 85 today and still insists that the surgery was no big deal. I've had more problems post then she had and my problems aren't any big deal, just normal stuff.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register