Feeling really overwhelmed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feeling really overwhelmed Feeling really overwhelmed

Unread 11-22-2005, 07:42 AM
Feeling really overwhelmed

Hi Ladies!
I woke up early this morning (due to downpouring rain) and I just feel really overwhelmed today. I think trying to keep the happy face on for everyone so I don't freak them out is starting to take it's toll. Along w/trying to clean house,plan Thanksgiving dinner, take care of kids and DH,make sure everything is set for upcoming surgery, and Christmas (my Favorite holiday in the whole world) is coming! Just overwhelmed today! Thanks for listening to me ramble! Wishing you all the Best!
Laurie
(taking deep breaths)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2005, 07:48 AM

Keep taking those deep breathes. You don't always have to put on a smiley face, make sure you talk to dh about your fears, it may help. After thanksgiving, try and take a day or 1/2 day for yourself, just to do some pampering.
I wish so badly I had some words of wisdom to take your fears down a notch(sp), but unfortunatley pre-op is just a hard time.
Good luck with everything and know that we are all here to listen anytime you need to vent.
Unread 11-22-2005, 08:10 AM

Hey Girl,
When is your surgery date? I am sending you hugs
for the holidays and I am praying that you do well, heal well and stay in good spirits. Good spirits is very important. Pamper yourself all you can and take it very easy while you are healing and you should be just fine.
Take Care!!!! Sunshine 48
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2005, 08:30 AM

Good morning, Laurie
I don't know what to say to eleviate the overwhelming feelings you are experiencing right now but I do have a hug for you.
Sit down, give the little one a colouring book and crayons and grab a cup of tea/coffee/hot chocolate for a little break RIGHT NOW.
Then take out a couple pieces of paper and label them : MUST DO, SHOULD DO, and WOULD LIKE TO DO.
List out what you have left to do for the next 2 weeks and prioritize them. And if everything isn't ready for Christmas....that's what gift cards and on-line shopping are all about. As far as decorating for Christmas...well maybe this year you will have to do with a couple less lights and fewer decorations out? I don't want to sound Scrooge-ish but I know, even though I am way ahead in my recovery, that we aren't going all out like usual.

Make sure you tell DH that you are getting a little overwhelmed and maybe he could give you a hand with some of the little things (like taking the kids out for a couple hours so you can do some things around the house). And you really shouldn't be putting a happy face on for him. Let his see your emotions surrounding this time in your life. It is a huge change for you and you need to keep him a part of the changes.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat further.
Thinking about you,
Autumn
Unread 11-22-2005, 08:46 AM

Hi Laurie,

It sounds like a lot of your "being overwhelmed" has to do with things that need to be done. Boy, I do remember that feeling. The thing that helped me to feel like I was back in control, was to sit down and make a list of everything under the sun that I could think of that needed to be done. This actually did not take very long because it was all swimming around in my head.

Then, I got out my calender and scheduled it all. Gave each item a date that it would be done on. Since it added to the overwhelmed feeling to look at the calendar and see it all there, I copied each day on its own 3x5 note card and put the calender away. Then each morning when I got up, I pulled out the one card for the day. I reminded myself that all the other stuff will have its day, but today I was only going to think about what I needed to do on that day. For me, it was a life saver, and it actually calmed me knowing I had a good workable plan. It also freed up my brain to only have to deal with that day.

If I thought of something ,that I hadn't thought of before that needed to be taken care of on another day, I would immediately write it down on the appropriate card to prevent worrying about it.

I wish you the best as you prepare for your trip to the castle.

s
Kay
Unread 11-22-2005, 09:02 AM

Hi Ladies!
Thank you for all your hugs,support, and great ideas! I like the list idea a lot! I'm a list kind of girl! lol Just finished sweeping and mopping kitchen and living room. Gotta unload dishwasher and fold some laundry, so there's a half hour! lol My surgery date is Dec 6th for those of you who I haven't spoke with before.
Regarding the "happy face", I am the "strong" one in my family. The one everyone turns to in any kind of crisis. I am not the oldest child in my family, but I am the oldest daughter (aka 2nd mother). I think if my brothers,little sister,and parents see me upset or worried they will be twice as worried. ( I didn't tell my brothers but apparently my parents did) As for my DH, he is great, kind of like a state police canine, he can sniff out fear and when I'm in pain! LOL
Thanks again Ladies! You're All Great!
Sincerely,
Laurie
Unread 11-22-2005, 09:08 AM

Hello Everyone,
I too am feeling overwhelmed. I keep looking at my calendar counting the days. Trying to think of all the things I need to do around the house. I just want it all be over with. At first I thought I would be ok mentally but now I feeling so overwhelmed. Thank you for listening.
Unread 11-22-2005, 09:38 AM

Hi Laurie
I can totally relate as my surg. is dec 1. I have gotten some xmas stuff done, ie small amt of baking not doing all of it this year, xmas gifts bought and found my last years supply of paper today so will get them wrapped and if not will do dh and he can do the rest.
I was a nervous wreak 3 wks or so ago, then got a note from a girl on here that happens to have the same dr!!! that really helped me a lot knowing what he does, how the hosp was etc.
Now I am telling myself ( not always believing it but) that all will be well and I will come out fo this better than I go in. Going for bad bad periods, fibroids and enlarged uterus.
I too am a list person so have my lists, also finish work friday so that is out of the way. I have my pre op the morning of thge 28th so will know a bit more what to expect.
Hope you are feeling abit less anxious about before and getting things done. Dh and I had an argument the other day about decorating as I want him to do it, he never does so guess we are doing it nov 30 or not at all. Well that wasnt the comprimise I wanted then thought what the hay it isnt a huge thing in the scheme of things right now.
anyway hugs to you and good vibes. email me if you want just say hyst or something so i knwo it isnt junk mail.
hope all goes well
Unread 11-22-2005, 11:52 AM

Hi! I'm just wondering, why are you putting on a happy face for everyone? I know that for kid's sake it is a smart move, but not for everyone else!! Especially not for you!! You've got to let it out at some point in time. You've got a need to discuss your fears and anxieties with at least your DH when you're alone with him!!

Don't keep it all bottled up, it's not good! You'd be surprised how your kids can help if you accidentally let your emotions out in front of them as well. I had a few oops moments in front of my 4 and 6 year old kiddos and they comforted me as well. It was amazing!

I'm hoping you can find a good time to let it all out because that is best for you!

Unread 11-22-2005, 03:20 PM

My TVH is in 8 days, with two of my sons b-days in between to occupy my mind a bit. I set up my xmas tree, did my shopping early and my sister is secretly (alittlebirdytoldme) arranging for my friends to bring me dinners for first week (even though she just got out of ICU with a broken neck!!) being a head of myself has helped me lots with the "to do" stuff. I am just overwhelmed about making it through surgery but I know that it's not my time and my angels will guide me. Good luck and keep your chin up. Mom's work their butts off for everyone else, its your turn to let everyone else help you!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register