Upset -- no one coming to help after surgery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upset -- no one coming to help after surgery Upset -- no one coming to help after surgery

Unread 11-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Re: Upset -- no one coming to help after surgery

I'm in the same situation as you. I don't have anyone to be here so i'm rearranging my rm, tv, tables, drinks and food anything and everything that I think I will need will be next to me. I thought, since I may be in pain and probably sleeping most of the time, I don't want anyone to bother me or have to rely on anyone. I have to take care of myself first even if I have to do it alone. Take Care of yourself. TAH Nov 30, 2009. Just want to mention, I'm scared too and I find myself looking for excuses NOT to have this done right now. And actually, my preop appt is right now in 20 min. I guess I ran out of excuses. Take care. I wish you the best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2009, 03:43 PM

I used a walker for the first week because I was so out of shape & over weight that I needed it to get up & walk a bit. Then I found that even when I didn't need it to help me walk or get up, it was great to keep my medication & snacks & chapstick in & then when you change rooms for bed it just goes with you. Getting ready for bed was hard that first week & anything that made it easier was great. I loved it. Since your going to be alone, I would also get a shower bench. Those first few days I was very unsteady on my feet & you get really tired really fast. & If you are somewhere cold, you may want an electric blanket. My ovaries went to sleep & I could not get warm (until the hot flash hit). I would have cranberry juice on hand to along with the gas-X & peppermint tea.
Unread 11-16-2009, 05:01 PM

Others have given you some great ideas. I think it's always best to be overly prepared and not need it than find yourself wishing you had something on hand. I had a TAH and came home 2 days later. Even when I was in the hospital, I walked to the nurses station to beg for food and was up and down the halls like crazy. I never had trouble getting to the bathroom there or at home and I took a shower unassisted my first day home with no problem. I found that if I was on my feet too much, I got crampy but I could easily make a light meal and cruise around the house. I hope your recovery will go as well, but have a contingency plan anyway. If you're in no shape to be alone, I'm sure your husband could find a way to get a couple days off. (((HUGS))) - we're all here to give you whatever support we can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2009, 05:33 PM

Just a thought: When my husband went back to work, he made me promise to carry my cell phone with me at ALL times. That way, he could contact me, but more importantly, I could reach help should anything happen. I was never without my cell phone, even when moving from room to room.

Best of luck with your surgery.
Unread 11-16-2009, 06:57 PM

Hi KC
I would just recommend yogerts, apple sauce, i had the cambells soup in the lunch bowls, easy microwave simple. I dove into hotdogs and burgers, not warned that I would be 8 lbs constipated. If I would have been informed I would have never dove into such a heavy menu. Because I learned from the mistake I really recommend light foods even broth. I was alone to. I only spent 1 night at the hospital, they shipped me home. I slept alot up to the fifth day. Please don't cancel the surgery, you will be fine. Keep your phone close with the ringer off so your not waken. Good Luck sister...
xxoxoxoxoxox
Unread 11-17-2009, 04:11 AM

Agree with most of the posts here. Preparing things in advance will be a huge help. We kept a huge pot of soup with rice on the burner all the time. I was able to ladle it out into a cup when I was hungry (not often). My surgery was completed on Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. and I went home at noon on Friday. Most of the worst was out of the way. You'll be able to get around - minimally - like to the kitchen, and bathroom. You'll just need to move in slow motion (which was hard for me - since I'm a real Type A). You won't have much energy for the first week, so sleep will and should be all you should be doing anyway. The waiting is the worst. Precluding complications, these surgeries are routine and recovery should be smooth, as long as you go easy. I stopped watching Dr. shows on television, since it seemed that everything was an exception and there were too many crises - I didn't need the extra drama! Best wishes for a smooth procedure and recovery.
Unread 11-24-2009, 09:07 PM

Can only add that the other ladies arer so correct in having things planned out as well as possible before hand. I actually borrow a shower chair and it was a lifesaver for at least 4 weeks. First, when I was too tired to stand to bathe and NO SHOWERS allowed I could sit there for a long time and pretend it was a b-a-t-h!

Like the very knowledgable friends have mentioned. Fatigue (like I've never felt it before!) Is a big consideration.

Let mewarn you ladies early. Take as much time as you can away from work. You really will need it. I went back to work as a nurse at 5 weeks and spent 2 weeks literally thinking a: I'm gonna fall over on the floor right now or b: I ache all over, I have a fever.....I'm getting the flu!

Nope, what I had was a case of exhaustion. All that to tell you, take the time that you are able to. You will need it.

and, I really would recommend someone being with you at least the first 2 days at home. work out the kinks in the system and see how you're functioniong on pain meds!

good luck to all of you.
Unread 11-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks sisters, I feel much better! You're amazing!

WOW, this really is a great thread! Thank you so much for responding to my cry for help! It's really hard for a type A personality to admit they need something or someone. I like to do things by myself and enjoy knowing I don't need anyone to help me with things. But this is different. I just don't think we prepare or discuss women's health issues enough! I didn't know what to expect before, but after reading all of your posts and studying what's on the site, I do feel as prepared as I could possibly be. All of the hints about the cooler by the bed and setting up my "recovery room" were very helpful! I do feel like I'm still a bit of an emotional wreck, but, believe it or not, I'm about to have my (last, thank God) period! My body doesn't even know what's about to happen!

Anywho, thanks for all your support. I will be sure to continue to post on this site after my surgery too, so maybe I can lift another woman's spirits!
Unread 11-24-2009, 11:35 PM

Hi KC!

I have my surgery scheduled for 12/10 and I was worried about not having much help. My DH HAS to work, and works 6 days a week, nearly 60 hours a week. He is out of vacation and since he is the location manager, really can't call in "sick" like other jobs so I understand your apprehension. I hated the thought of asking for help from my friends who all work as well, but I did it. And I found that when I asked for help people were really willing to do whatever they could after work or on lunch, etc. I actually talked to my closest friends individually, and then I put a status message on my facebook sort of explaining the situation in more detail and the response was overwhelming. It is going to be pretty chaotic around here for a couple weeks, but I will have friends over here in and out bringing food, walking the dog, etc. and I focus on recovering. I would say, ask whoever you possibly can. The worst they can say is no!

I LOVED all of the recovery room suggestions! What wonderful support in this thread!

HUGGS to you KC! Sending you light and prayers that you will get through recovery comfortably and as painlessly as possible!
Unread 11-29-2009, 06:02 AM

Hi I'm starting my 3rd week Post op (TAH). I've been sleeping on a sofa and using a walker to pull myself up. You will be able to get up to go to the bath room by yourself, you can ask your family to prepare and leave your meals so you can warm them up in the microwave. Or you can ask them to Keep a flask of soup next to the bed, keep your pain killers, water, breathing thing, telephone next to you and you will be OK.
Your family will help you out big time, you kind of feel guilty because we are so used to doing everything ourselves.
Good luck on your operation - just surrender and knock out any negative thoughts. Everything thing be fine and you will be so happy you did it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register