9 days post laparoscopic surgery: So how DOES hysterectomy compare to C-section? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

9 days post laparoscopic surgery: So how DOES hysterectomy compare to C-section? 9 days post laparoscopic surgery: So how DOES hysterectomy compare to C-section?

Unread 10-15-2020, 08:29 AM
9 days post laparoscopic surgery: So how DOES hysterectomy compare to C-section?

Slightly annoyed here, but it seems today is an irritation day so don't read too much into the tone of this. I want to ask before I forget.

I'm, let's see 9 days post-op. I'm already tired of talking to my maternal family. I try to keep in mind that I don't know anyone who has had a hysterectomy, so my sister and Mom probably don't either. The natural inclination is to compare to something you do know, right? Well it's annoying!!

My husband and I knew we weren't going to breed very early in our relationship. His genes are rampant with strong trends of mental health and addiction issues as well as being large-boned folks. My genes seem to be strong as well, but we are small women and both sisters had pregnancy complications and I was 2 months premature. Mix those together, the risks are strong.

Our decision was/is final, but that does NOT mean that I didn't suffer a sort of grief after a pregnancy scare over it anyway. Just because we choose not to have children (*and now definitely cannot), doesn't mean I didn't really want them at one point, you know?

Anyway, rant over.

My curiosity is seriously peaked, though. You wonderful hostesses keep having to remind us that this is a MAJOR surgery. I've googled unedited laparoscopic hysterectomy videos and seen those instruments flopping our insides ALL over the place, burning and snipping and shoving all the while.

So for those who have had C-sections, can you share your comparisons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2020, 06:13 AM
Re: 9 days post laparoscopic surgery: So how DOES hysterectomy compare to C-section?

Since with hysterectomy the organ is removed rather than left to function again like a c-section, all the cuts, cauterizations and any internal stitches happen around and outside where the uterus was rather than to it and in it.

I didn't have a c-section so I can't speak from personal experience nor compare the recoveries. We have an article where past thoughts on C-section vs. Abdominal Hysterectomy were pulled together, and I'll be interested in reading replies from any current members.

Unread 10-16-2020, 12:33 PM
Re: 9 days post laparoscopic surgery: So how DOES hysterectomy compare to C-section?

I have had two c-sections, and just had a TAH. Hysterectomy is worse. The incision is more painful from all of the cutting over previous scar tissue, organs are confused because an entire structure is missing, and its a similar recovery except there's no beautiful baby. And won't be, ever again. Also I am having to be on a Foley catheter, which never happened in either other surgery. I hate this and wish I had never done it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2020, 01:54 PM

since you had a lap hysterectomy, there would be no comparison. a c section is a big incision and very painful. my lap hysterectomy was much less painful than my 2 csections (once the gas they used for the lap dissolved).
Unread 10-17-2020, 04:42 AM

I haven't had a c-section and so can't compare recoveries, but asked my surgeon this very question before my abdominal hysterectomy (horizontal incision) when friends had indicated it was no big deal as it was the same as their c-sections.

My surgeon laughed. He said, "The comparison begins and ends with the incision. A hysterectomy is major surgery removing an organ, plus all the additional work which that entails. A baby is supposed to come out."

My friends were a little more understanding after that.
Unread 10-18-2020, 12:46 PM

My c-sections were almost 30 years ago so it is hard to compare the aches and pains. With my c-sections I had full labors with emergency c-sections so I was always very exhausted afterward. (Planned c-sections are easier in that respect). The big difference for me is that I could focus 100% on my recovery and wasn't lugging a 9.6 lb baby around.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register