Almost 5 weeks post hysterectomy: Feeling like I'll never feel good again | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Almost 5 weeks post hysterectomy: Feeling like I'll never feel good again Almost 5 weeks post hysterectomy: Feeling like I'll never feel good again

Unread 10-15-2020, 07:37 PM
Almost 5 weeks post hysterectomy: Feeling like I'll never feel good again

Hello ladies....

I am just dropping in for some encouragement. I am almost 5 weeks post op and I am really discouraged. My tummy still gets swollen and in the process of being laid up, I have gained so much weight! Or at least it feels like it! My digestive system is a disaster! Everything I eat goes right through me and I have zero appetite. Am I the only one at this stage feeling pretty crappy still??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2020, 10:02 PM
Re: Feeling like I'll never feel good again

I'm 8 weeks pist op and feel
Like I'm a loop... now iv got to go thru brachytheraphy as a preventative after my total hysterectomy... i wish I could get over this feeling of being stuck
Unread 10-15-2020, 11:58 PM
Re: Feeling like I'll never feel good again

You just went through major surgery! You may still be dealing with the after effects of anesthesia, gas depending on type of surgery on top of the many other issues that comes with a hysterectomy. Things didn’t calm down for me before 3 months and I really didn’t start feeling much much better for about a year (but I had some complications).
Give it time and allow yourself to not worry and 100% relax so your body can heal and adjust, Feel better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2020, 04:06 AM
Almost 5 weeks post hysterectomy: Feeling like I'll never feel good again

It sounds like you have what we like to call Swelly Belly Its a normal part of the recovery process, similar to what happens when you sprain your ankle, and the traumatized tissues become swollen and inflamed, and it commonly goes through phases of waxing and waning until it's gone for good. As for food going right through you and feeling like you have no appetite, post-op GI issues like this are very common; they're commonly caused by a combination of bacterial imbalances stemming from antibiotic use during the surgery, and prostaglandins produced as a normal part of the healing process overstimulating the smooth muscles inside your intestinal tract. Increasing your intake of soluble fibre can help to slow the tide; a bowl of cooked oatmeal with a spoonful of almond butter, or a banana and a spoonful of chia seeds blended into a protein shake, can help you to take in extra calories and soluble fibre in an easily digestible form. If you're really struggling to take in enough calories, a meal replacement can help; my top pick for the weeks following my surgery was Vega One, which can be found at most health food stores and major supermarkets, and contains all the nutrients needed to support your recovery. Also be sure to avoid hard to digest foods that can exacerbate the issue; that includes red meat, legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, pears, plums and prunes, apricots, cherries, artificial sweeteners, and fried foods. Wishing you all the best for moving through this stage soon, and for continued health and healing!
Unread 10-16-2020, 06:33 AM
Re: Almost 5 weeks post hysterectomy: Feeling like I'll never feel good again

You're still in the initial weeks of recovery... even though you're in Week #5. I had an LSH, textbook surgery, textbook recovery, yet didn't really turn the corner on feeling human again until Week #4. Even then, I couldn't stand up long, sit upright long, nor bounce up and down a flight of stairs with my usual exuberance. I had to manage my bowels for 7-8 weeks, got daily swelly belly through 8 weeks, swelling AND mild cramps whenever I did more than my body was ready to handle beyond that, fatigue would hit me out of nowhere, and my ovaries didn't get back to full throttle until between 12-16 weeks.

I'll emphasize again my recovery was textbook. It takes longer than most of us expect, and it's a gradual return to real life rather than pressing some "Easy" button like the Staples' TV ads. Be kind to and patient with your body. It's been through a lot.

Unread 10-16-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussette View Post
: You're still in the initial weeks of recovery... even though you're in Week #5. I had an LSH, textbook surgery, textbook recovery, yet didn't really turn the corner on feeling human again until Week #4. Even then, I couldn't stand up long, sit upright long, nor bounce up and down a flight of stairs with my usual exuberance. I had to manage my bowels for 7-8 weeks, got daily swelly belly through 8 weeks, swelling AND mild cramps whenever I did more than my body was ready to handle beyond that, fatigue would hit me out of nowhere, and my ovaries didn't get back to full throttle until between 12-16 weeks.

I'll emphasize again my recovery was textbook. It takes longer than most of us expect, and it's a gradual return to real life rather than pressing some "Easy" button like the Staples' TV ads. Be kind to and patient with your body. It's been through a lot.
I needed to read this today - I'm in week 4 - TAH - and have been feeling a bit down about my recovery - This post really, really, helped me mentally feel better about where I am at - Thank you!
Unread 10-18-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganlady View Post
I needed to read this today - I'm in week 4 - TAH - and have been feeling a bit down about my recovery - This post really, really, helped me mentally feel better about where I am at - Thank you!
I also needed to read these posts today! I’m 4 weeks and 2 days since surgery but it seemed like it must be longer until I just stopped and counted days. My incisions are healed and I’m back at some normal activities (Like baths!) but the past few days I’ve felt mentally dull, unmotivated, and just “off”.

I suspect this is at least partially due to hormones, although I was already menopausal for 2 years before my surgery and hadn’t had many issues transitioning. The past couple weeks I’ve craved chocolate/sugar and have been emotional and irritable at times.

The swelly belly has bothered me more the past week too. I’ve gone back taking Advil most evenings and applying heat pillow to my belly before bed.

Realizing now that I’m just barely a month along- and reading these posts- put things in perspective and encourages me to be more patient with my hormones and swelly belly.
Unread 10-18-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaByDay View Post
My incisions are healed and I’m back at some normal activities (Like baths!) but the past few days I’ve felt mentally dull, unmotivated, and just “off”.

I suspect this is at least partially due to hormones, although I was already menopausal for 2 years before my surgery and hadn’t had many issues transitioning. The past couple weeks I’ve craved chocolate/sugar and have been emotional and irritable at times.
The fatigue. I mentioned earlier how it could hit me out of nowhere. One day at 10 weeks post-op, we all came home from school and work, we had dinner, and I was in my jammies by 7pm. I was so brain dead, I was unable to do anything but work on a jigsaw puzzle. At 7 months post-op, I hit another fatigue wall. I'd wasn't sick and had gotten plenty of sleep in the days before, so maybe that too was lingering post-op fatigue. Women have reported fatigue for up to 6 months or even a year after.

Even when we're menopausal, we get the "dribble effect" from trace amounts of our own hormones. After surgery, the ovaries can be out of whack or off-line for several weeks due to surgical shock and also the likelihood their blood supply was compromised. So, yes, it is possible that even menopausal women feel the hormonal effects of this surgery. It doesn't apply to you, but it's possible to go through surgical menopause when the ovaries are removed even if you've already been through menopause. Fun times!

Unread Yesterday, 11:54 AM

I am also 5 weeks post op and I can only eat a certain amount of calories before feeling nauseous. My food also goes through me. I guess this is normal. I am just keeping an eye out on things adn tracking what I eat. I can only tolerate salads with protein for lunch, oatmeal with fruit for breakfast and for dinner a vegtable stirfy without meat or veggie soups. I think I am slowly becoming a vegetarian.
Unread Yesterday, 02:47 PM

As the other posts have mentioned - you have had MAJOR surgery so it is time to be good to yourself/Self Care! My TAH was four years ago but I still clearly remember my recovery period. Listen to your body regarding sleep/naps, swelly belly (which is very normal!), foods to eat, drink lots of water, etc. This is your rest and recovery time. Just me - but I experience a lot of post surgery gas so walking and peppermint tea was super helpful.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register