TAH 8 days post hysterectomy: Urinary Retention, Foley Cath, and Extreme Struggling | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 days post hysterectomy: Urinary Retention, Foley Cath, and Extreme Struggling 8 days post hysterectomy: Urinary Retention, Foley Cath, and Extreme Struggling

Unread 10-16-2020, 12:25 PM
8 days post hysterectomy: Urinary Retention, Foley Cath, and Extreme Struggling

Hi ladies! I am hoping I am not alone. This might be long, but if anyone can relate or has words of wisdom I am all ears.

I am 31 years old, and have had two previous c-sections in 2017 and 2019. I had a TAH on 10/8. I wanted another baby, but had several enormous uterine fibroids. Apparently my uterus was very enlarged, and had grown so big it had fused itself to my bladder. My surgeon had to pull my uterus off of my bladder, which was very painful during initial recovery. However, my bladder was not damaged.

I was discharged on 10/9. I had no problems urinating once the cath was removed Thursday night, Friday morning, or all day Saturday. I spoke with my on-call physician Saturday evening and she increased my 5mg Oxycodone dose every 6 hrs to 10mg every 4 hours. This is when the trouble started.

I noticed late Saturday evening that I was unable to pass any urine, so I called the on-call again. She advised me to get to the ER. I was in the ER until Sunday morning, still unable to urinate and requiring a Foley catheter. The insertion was traumatizing-I just laid there sobbing like an idiot for a long, long time. They discharged me with zero information on catheter care.

I followed up with my OBGYN on Monday am, and he removed the Foley in office. After spending 7 hours there, I still could only slightly empty my bladder on my own. Just drops. I had to be recatheterized with the Foley. Again, I was really upset.

I saw a urologist yesterday. They pumped my bladder full directly from the Foley with sterilized water, and removed it for me to try voiding again myself. I couldn't get anything. I was just crying on the toilet, unable to even produce a drop. So again, I got another Foley inserted.

I regret my surgery and am resentful for ever doing it. Any pain I had with my fibroids wasn't worth this trauma. I have high anxiety to begin with, and I am terrified I will never be able to pee again on my own. I have broken down hysterically crying several times the past few days. I have a one and three year old, and they are obsessed with me so I can't even be at my house in this condition. My husband and family have me staying at my sister's until I recovery more. I don't even see urology until 10/27 so my bladder can "rest".

I am a full time mom and full time student, and am getting behind in everything. I feel like a failure who can't even pee or tend to her babies by herself. I am still in pain from the surgery, but this situation with the catheter is the worst thing that has ever happened to me. I have had a CT and workup, but everything internally looks fine. I hope I am not alone, but more than anything I hope I won't be this way forever. I can't live this way, and am struggling more than I ever thought possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2020, 01:56 PM
Re: Urinary Retention, Foley Cath, and Extreme Struggling

i'm so sorry you're having such a hard time . i hope things improve for you very soon.
Unread 10-16-2020, 06:07 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry you are having a such a hard time. I completely understand what you are going through. Many years ago I had surgery on my urethra. It was abdominal surgery and it was a pretty easy recovery except for my bladder. I had a Foley in for at least two weeks after discharge because every time my doctor took it out and filled my bladder with water I couldn't void. It was the worst pain and still live in fear of catheters because of the experience.

Here's the thing, bladders are very sensitive organs. They do not like to be messed with. Try to relax and not worry about it. Stay hydrated and even with the catheter in you can gently try to void. While sitting relax, get comfortable and pretend to blow through a straw. That activates the muscles that release urine flow.

Let us know how you are doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2020, 08:16 PM

(((Urkelgru))) Following my radical hysterectomy which is a more extensive procedure, I was sent home with a Foley cath to allow my bladder to rest/recuperate. During my pre-surgical consult, I was informed of this and the possibility of an extension of keeping the cath in if I wasn't able to void on my own. Thankfully, I didn't have any issues. But, we have had other ladies on our Cancer Concerns forum who have experienced difficulties, and one in particular went through quite a bit of an ordeal. The good news is, they each eventually regained the ability to void on their own and are no longer wearing caths or self-cathing which is another possibility. So, please, please try not to panic. Sending calming thoughts and positive vibes your way. Hang in there, sister!
Unread 10-16-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monami View Post
(((Urkelgru))) Following my radical hysterectomy which is a more extensive procedure, I was sent home with a Foley cath to allow my bladder to rest/recuperate. During my pre-surgical consult, I was informed of this and the possibility of an extension of keeping the cath in if I wasn't able to void on my own. Thankfully, I didn't have any issues. But, we have had other ladies on our Cancer Concerns forum who have experienced difficulties, and one in particular went through quite a bit of an ordeal. The good news is, they each eventually regained the ability to void on their own and are no longer wearing caths or self-cathing which is another possibility. So, please, please try not to panic. Sending calming thoughts and positive vibes your way. Hang in there, sister!
Thanks for your reply! I had no idea this kind of an outcome was possible. Just wondering, when they told you about the “possibility of extension of keeping the cath in” did they mean like, forever? I’m just convinced I’ll never be able to go back to normal after some really scary threads I read today.
Unread 10-16-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urkelgru View Post
Thanks for your reply! I had no idea this kind of an outcome was possible. Just wondering, when they told you about the “possibility of extension of keeping the cath in” did they mean like, forever? I’m just convinced I’ll never be able to go back to normal after some really scary threads I read today.
Having permanent issues for both bladder and bowel function were discussed, as they have to cover all bases. But, these were presented as less likely outcomes. With your bladder having been so directly affected with the uterus fusion, it's understandable that there could be complications. In my case, I think it was about 10 days or so that I had my cath following surgery which is similar to the amount of time you'll be having yours. So, this could be the window of time your bladder needs to get things back on track.

Please don't beat yourself up over your decision to have surgery. We make our decisions based on the information we have, and that's truly all any of us can do. And, try not to let your mind race too far ahead of things. Remember, worrying has never changed anything one way or the other and only serves to harm us emotionally and physically.
Unread 10-17-2020, 03:47 AM

Urinary retention is a common side effect of opioid painkillers, so I suggest talking to your on-call physician about decreasing your dose of oxycodone, or stopping it altogether; if you still need effective pain relief, then I suggest naproxen, which, according to a study recently published in the Journal Of The American Medical Association, can be just as effective as opioids for relieving pain, without this side effect. To address the retention directly, my favourite tip is to take a warm shower, or immerse your hands in warm water, which engages your parasympathetic nervous system, causing your urethral sphincter to relax. And don't worry about not being able to take care of your children; just as your heart first sends the blood to the arteries that feed it before sending it anywhere else, taking care of your own health is an important first step in taking care of them. Wishing you all the best for beating this soon, and for continued health and healing!
Unread 10-18-2020, 05:47 PM
Re: 8 days post hysterectomy: Urinary Retention, Foley Cath, and Extreme Struggling

Thanks!
Unread Today, 04:49 PM
Re: 8 days post hysterectomy: Urinary Retention, Foley Cath, and Extreme Struggling

I had a total hysterectomy last September and kept my ovaries. I was in recovery for a lengthy time and in much discomfort. I was released the next day in spite of pain and discomfort. The next few days I noticed that I had the urge to urinate more frequently with little stream. My ankles began to swell as well. I reached out to the on call physician that Friday and was told this was normal but as long as I was going not to stress. Throughout the weekend I contacted the on call physician again because I was concerned. Again, I was told this was normal, after all what did I know? By Monday, I had an emergency appointment with my physician as I was unable to walk or lay down. After an imaging scan, it was determined that I was in severe urinary retention 3400cc and that I was lucky my bladder didn’t burst. I was catheterized on and off for two weeks. It was awful especially having two small kids at home and not being able to do the typical daily things. After the catheder was removed, I had to learn how to self cath and essentially retrain my bladder. I had to self cath on and off for two weeks and be sure to go to the bathroom every two hours. I kept track of everything I ate and drank and what I expelled. I can relate wholeheartedly to what you are going through. I followed up with a urologist weekly and eventually I went to see a urogynecologist which was the best decision I made. I was watched very closely for months by my urogynecologist. I was told repeatedly that the bladder is a muscle and needed time to recover. I was doubtful but the docs were right. The best advice I can give you is to try to relax and get in a positive head space. I wish you all the best on your recovery journey and sending you positive vibes.
Unread Today, 04:53 PM

I am so sorry you had to deal with that, Foley's are the worst!

My bladder was damaged and stitched back up in surgery, so I had to wear a Foley for EIGHT DAYS. It would have been seven, but that Monday was Labor Day, so I got an extra day. Lucky me.

It was painful, it hurt to sit, it made walking super difficult (and I was about walking every day, doctor's orders)

The leg bag filled up too quickly so made myself a makeshift belt out of nylon webbing to hang it from and wore it under a long skirt.

Out of all the things that I could have, should have, did cry over, the thing that got me was that stupid Foley.

From what I understand, the issue you are having is most often caused by inflammation and does resolve.

Hang in there. It's hard to see now, but it will get better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register