Having a hard time; conflicted – would love input | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having a hard time; conflicted – would love input Having a hard time; conflicted – would love input

Unread 08-24-2004, 09:33 AM
Having a hard time; conflicted – would love input

So, I have been for my second opinion, had my hell biopsy. Three tries and she couldn’t get passed 4 cm – ouch! – the first one would have been fine but three was too much. She was EXTREMELY thoughtful about it and said she won’t do more than three tries because it is just cruel. She was right! So, we are hoping there was enough of a sample to show something!

Anyway rant first; I called the gyn and they had received my referral from Dr. #1 – the one who said there was nothing wrong with me having extreme endometrial thickening and constant cramping, DUB, painful sex which has never, ever happened before. He requested a consult re: metformin only – didn’t even mention a recent u/s. I found this out because my appt was going to be booked for the end of the month. Told the MOA that that I would take any appointment ASAP, even a cancellation (even if it meant cancelling my clients on short notice, which I ordinarily would not want to do). She asked why, I explained what had happened and she went to consult with one of the gyns. Came back with an appointment for tomorrow! And a promise that they would call the lab where the biopsy was being analyzed and tell them they needed the results on an urgent basis. I am feeling more and more hopeful and more like Dr #1 is the crazy one, not me!!!

So, where I feel confused was that a few nurse I know have been researching for me. All of them have come to the same conclusions as doctor #2 (the good one who did the biopsy) and found that the likelihood is hyperplasia. Lots of times in premenopausal women they prefer Provera or repeated D and Cs to hyster. I don’t want Provera – had it be one it once before, made me totally depressed, cramps even worse and I haemorrhaged so bad I bled through a futon (it was gross) and I was recommended by two docs to stop the BCP because of the mood side effects (most BCP are primarily progesterone). They couldn’t find one that didn’t make me rather depressed. I definitely do not want repeated D and Cs… but I am also not sure I want a hyster (although right now that is definitely looking like the best option!). I suspect metformin may be an option as well.

I would love input from anyone – but especially women who have had hyperplasia (with or without atypia). What did you do and why? Did you use Provera and was it okay for you? I have only had one experience with it – but am not in a big rush to repeat that! I am just trying to accumulate as much info as I can without totally overloading.

I do think it is important to note that I haven’t seen the gyn yet and so we are just speculating about what he is going to say!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2004, 11:50 AM

Hi,
I'm sorry your going thru all of this with your dx's then the frustration of the many unanswered questions you have

I have no personal experience to share for what your dealing with but I do know that, IMO, I would be scheduling a 2nd opinion or even 3rd opinion...

Good Luck with everything I'm sorry I couldnt be of more help..pls keep us posted...(((hugs)))
Unread 08-24-2004, 02:05 PM

Thanks Sheri - I am hoping that tomorrow will answer some questions for me. Please keep your fingers crossed!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2004, 03:04 PM

I'll keep my fingers & toes crossed

Good Luck...I'll keep an eye out for your update tomorrow
Unread 08-24-2004, 04:11 PM

You might want to ask about the Mirena coil. If you're dealing with hyperplasia, or early dysplasia, some women have had success with it. It's a type of an IUD that helps suppress the endometrium, but without the systemic effects of Provera or its cousins.

Good luck, I hope you get those biopsy results ASAP!

Audrey
Unread 08-24-2004, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the coil info - I feel strange about the thought of an IUD, but maybe it is the better option?!
Unread 08-24-2004, 04:55 PM

I took Megace.. apparently it is even stronger than Provera. I DID indeed have some side effects... depression, weakness, weight gain... but, when you consider I only had to take it 6 months... I was ok with that. You don't have to stay on it forever! After the hyperplasia is clear, they can just check up on you with biopsies or d&c's every once in a while, though they will want to make sure you aren't estrogen dominant again, or it will happen again. Thus, the Metformin is prob a very good idea. Some docs, though, after the hyperplasia is gone, might want you to cycle on a dose of Prometrium... it's much milder than Provera, and natural. I'm to take it 14 days a month personally.

Pam
Unread 08-24-2004, 05:41 PM

Thanks for that Pam. I don't have any natural progesterone to speak of, so if I do take something, I am looking at a long term thing. If it would just be a cycle of Provera and then Met. I would be willing to try that... I just have issues with taking medications. The other thing is that I am told that the cramping would not likely be a result of the hyperplasia and indicates a secondary process... so, if it is endo (which dr #2 is theorizing), this may not be a good option.

Does anyone else find it a bit bizarre that I am more comfortable (at least right now when it is all speculation!) with a hyst than taking pills? I am finding myself a bit bizarre right now!
Unread 08-24-2004, 05:47 PM
Mirena Coil

Hi Driad

I had the Mirena coil for heavy bleeding and early hyperplasia. Some ladies hate it, I really liked it (have had it for 12 months now) I am having some other problems not related to the coil, but for me it worked really well - no periods after about 3 months!

Ask about it - it stays in for 5 years.
Unread 08-24-2004, 07:25 PM

The natural progesterone I speak of is Prometrium... most docs will prescribe it after the hyperplasia is gone, as it is very light and natural.... it comes from peanuts, I believe, so if you are allergic to those, you might have a problem.

The IUD's may work... wasn't an option for me, as I'm trying to get pregnant.

Pam

PS Yes, the biopsies are bad... I didn't have much trouble with them getting it in-- guess my previous D&C's helped that out! But, the pain during the suctioning process was badddd. I didn't move or cry or anything.. I just held my breath mostly till it was over. After the doc left the room and I stood up, the cramps continued for most of the day. Next time, I will take ibuprofen, as I heard it helps a lot... the tylenol did nothing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register