Scheduled LSH heart murmur discovered on pre op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

heart murmur discovered on pre op heart murmur discovered on pre op

Unread 04-21-2010, 01:30 PM
heart murmur discovered on pre op

Hi Ladies...had my pre op today. All was going well until they listened to my chest...there it was..that little silent bit where the doctor ummms and ahhhhhs. Have now learnt to pick up on those two second silences if you know what I mean. The doctor said she had heard a heart murmur and sent me for an immediate ECG. As I have an due to have my surgery on May 14th hopefully all will be ok. I have been told that a heart murmur is commen but I just do not need anything at the moment to worry about right now. Wish me well ladies and I'll keep my fingers crossed that my surgery will go ahead. Dee x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Re: heart murmur discovered on pre op

Oh it's so scary when unexpected health issues come up right? By any chance could you be anemic? I had severe anemia which caused a heart murmur. Got that treated and all is well now but I was a basket case for a while there thinking I had something seriously wrong with my heart!

Anyway good luck and hope it's nothing to worry about!
Unread 04-21-2010, 01:42 PM

Last year before my hysterectomy I had an abnormal EKG; it indicated that I'd had a heart attack!

I see a cardiologist for high cholesterol. He saw the EKG and cleared me for surgery. He said that I was fine. I've also been told a couple of times that I have a heart murmur but then other times no one mentions it.

Heart murmurs are pretty common and not a big deal. Of course, you should see a cardiologist and follow-up; but TRY not to worry about it. I was so freaked out thinking I'd had a heart attack.... I wish now I'd saved myself the energy and gotten more rest before the surgery!

Hope all goes well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2010, 07:27 PM

deegee,
I was told years ago that I have a heart murmur, but the doctors told me that it is quite common, and not a serious health problem. Still get it checked out though.

Craftychica, it is interesting that you mentioned anemia as a possible cause of irregular heart beat. I am anemic too, and had a vitamin B12 deficiency after my first surgery. It must all be related. Gives me something to ask my doctor when I see him next week.

Hang in there and let us know how you're doing.

Unread 04-26-2010, 05:12 AM

Hi everyone. Have just had a call from hospital today. I have to go and have more investigations on my heart early next week. They have told me it may not delay my op on 14th May but there is no guarentee. This is something I just do not need right now. xx
Unread 04-26-2010, 06:35 AM

I've only been told recently that i have a slight heart murmur, and it wasn't even by the cardiologist I saw earlier this year!
Some dr's hear it, some don't. I guess it's common.
While they are covering all bases and doing this for your health and safety, it doesn't make it any less stressful.
Boy, when it rains, it pours huh.
Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that you'll get the all clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegee1 View Post
Hi Ladies...had my pre op today. All was going well until they listened to my chest...there it was..that little silent bit where the doctor ummms and ahhhhhs. Have now learnt to pick up on those two second silences if you know what I mean. The doctor said she had heard a heart murmur and sent me for an immediate ECG. As I have an due to have my surgery on May 14th hopefully all will be ok. I have been told that a heart murmur is commen but I just do not need anything at the moment to worry about right now. Wish me well ladies and I'll keep my fingers crossed that my surgery will go ahead. Dee x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register