Still scared and nervous. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still scared and nervous. Still scared and nervous.

Unread 06-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Still scared and nervous.

So the date is getting closer, surgery is on Tuesday June 21 in like two days, and I'm getting more and more scared. I have read so many posts and articles and they all help but I'm still scared. I can't sleep was up till 4 am last night or this morning I guess. I don't know what I'm scared about. I think maybe just the not knowing. I am not sure though. I'm getting ready by doing laundry and making sure that my husband and son are taken care of. What if I want to stay in the hospital longer than just overnight then what do I do? What if I feel like I need to stay till I feel like I can go home. I don't know why they can just send us home the same day or even the next day. Isn't this major surgery? What happened to staying two to three days. I'm ha ing the Da Vinci but it is still major surgery. Just because they made it easy to operate doesnt make the recovery easy. I just dont get it. I know I'm justventing but I'm scared and I haven't told too many of my friends or much of my family. I don't know if I should what do u all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Re: Still scared and nervous.

I wish I had advice for you, I'm 1 week after you so I haven't gone through it yet. I just wanted to let you know that I feel the same way as you. I don't know if that helps or not but I wanted you to know you are not alone! Big hugs to you!!
Unread 06-19-2011, 09:49 AM

Thanks it helps to know I'm not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydo View Post
I wish I had advice for you, I'm 1 week after you so I haven't gone through it yet. I just wanted to let you know that I feel the same way as you. I don't know if that helps or not but I wanted you to know you are not alone! Big hugs to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2011, 10:01 AM

I am also scared of the unknown, though I am a veteran to surgery. I am having an Abdominal Sacral Colpopexy on the 22nd. I had a vaginal hysterectomy in 97 and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I had a c-section in 95 and the pain from that is worse, which is why I am concerned. They are going to open me up using the old scar, hmmm maybe I can talk them into a tummy tuck? LOL

I do not have any experience with the Davinci surgery and I believe that there are incisions made in the lower abdomen. You can expect to be sore for a week or so and when you start healing it will be itchy. Your best bet for recovery is to get up and walk as much as possible.

I wish you the best of luck in your surgery, a swift recovery and will look for your posts post op. (((((((HUGS))))))
Unread 06-19-2011, 11:00 AM

I had my Da Vinci hysterectomy a little more than a week ago. You sound just as scared as I was beforehand. It kicked my anxiety into overdrive and I mostly didn't sleep leading up to my surgery...
Girl, let me tell you- don't be scared. I feel great. I had endometriosis. I am 22. I did this without narcotics of any kind. The pain I felt the most after I woke up from surgery was the gas they fill your belly with. It takes a while to get rid of, but walking around makes it better.
Within a few hours of waking up from surgery, I was taking walks around the hospital (from the fourth floor down to the first, across the lobby, down the hall next to the cafeteria, out the side doors and back.)
My surgery was at 8 am and I left around 10 am the next day? I wanted to leave sooner than that... I was mostly bored. I would have rather rested at home.
It hurts to cough for a couple days too, but literally, everytime you go to sleep and wake up, you feel an improvement. The pain with the cough didn't last long at all, and while it was there it was helped by squeezing a pillow tightly to myself.
I hope this helps at all... If you have any questions about how I felt with other things, let me know. I would be happy to help relieve the nervousness you're feeling. Be strong, HysterSister!
Unread 06-19-2011, 11:18 AM

Thank you so much this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolly.hayze View Post
I had my Da Vinci hysterectomy a little more than a week ago. You sound just as scared as I was beforehand. It kicked my anxiety into overdrive and I mostly didn't sleep leading up to my surgery...
Girl, let me tell you- don't be scared. I feel great. I had endometriosis. I am 22. I did this without narcotics of any kind. The pain I felt the most after I woke up from surgery was the gas they fill your belly with. It takes a while to get rid of, but walking around makes it better.
Within a few hours of waking up from surgery, I was taking walks around the hospital (from the fourth floor down to the first, across the lobby, down the hall next to the cafeteria, out the side doors and back.)
My surgery was at 8 am and I left around 10 am the next day? I wanted to leave sooner than that... I was mostly bored. I would have rather rested at home.
It hurts to cough for a couple days too, but literally, everytime you go to sleep and wake up, you feel an improvement. The pain with the cough didn't last long at all, and while it was there it was helped by squeezing a pillow tightly to myself.
I hope this helps at all... If you have any questions about how I felt with other things, let me know. I would be happy to help relieve the nervousness you're feeling. Be strong, HysterSister!
Unread 06-19-2011, 12:06 PM

I should warn you though... The bowel prep is dis-heartening. It was definitely the most difficult part of the process for me. I would never like to go through that again... but it is all uphill once you wake up from surgery. Good luck Tuesday. I will keep you in my thoughts. Feel free to PM me anytime before or after surgery if you need someone to talk to.
Unread 06-19-2011, 12:58 PM

What dis u have to do for the bowel prep?

QUOTE=dolly.hayze;3502424]I should warn you though... The bowel prep is dis-heartening. It was definitely the most difficult part of the process for me. I would never like to go through that again... but it is all uphill once you wake up from surgery. Good luck Tuesday. I will keep you in my thoughts. Feel free to PM me anytime before or after surgery if you need someone to talk to. [/quote]
Unread 06-19-2011, 01:42 PM

I will think of you Tuesday when I'm doing my bowel prep for my surgery on Wednesday. You are definitely not alone, I'm really nervous today, nerves starting to kick in big time. Great gig hugs and same for me, feel free to pm me since we are going through this basically at the same time! ren
Unread 06-19-2011, 01:48 PM

Most of us with bowel prep have to use Miralax or similar to clean out everything. Some docs don't do the prep. If yours doesn't I would make sure to eat very lightly day before and leave tons of time so your body is cleaned out and surgery is easier.
I had the davinci and my worst problem was the gas. Just take it easy and start slowly asyou walk. I was so weak at first but then recovered. Good luck. I am sure you will do great

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register