Hysterectomy or D&C ? ( I have disordered proliferative endometrium without a-typia + on/off hpv not 16 or 18) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy or D&C ? ( I have disordered proliferative endometrium without a-typia + on/off hpv not 16 or 18) Hysterectomy or D&C ? ( I have disordered proliferative endometrium without a-typia + on/off hpv not 16 or 18)

Unread 04-08-2021, 08:34 AM
Hysterectomy or D&C ? ( I have disordered proliferative endometrium without a-typia + on/off hpv not 16 or 18)

Hello HysterSisters,
In advance, I am extremely appreciative of responses from anyone with similar conditions/experiences: Many many thanks ! – Vita Forte.

Overview:
I have had on and off conditions of uterus for 6-7 years and on and off of cervix (hpv – not 16 or 18) for 10 + years. I am 50 years old , 5'-5", 145lbs (+/- a few over years) and have been in menopause for 2.5 years with one spotting 10 mons into menopause which led to a series of endo biopsies. I did genetic testing and no genes with pre-disposition for hereditary cancer.

Doctor’s recommendations:

• Two doctors are pushing me towards a hysterectomy without removal of ovaries, so I don’t have to worry in future and keep watching these conditions.

• Two other doctors feel I can proceed more conservatively with a D&C only for now, since I have no bleeding and all findings are benign.

My Questions/perspective:
I know if I would EVER need a hysterectomy, I would want to do that now. I just don’t know if hysterectomy is overkill for these conditions, nor know if these are conditions will turn malignant in future. Therefore, do I want to cut major organs out for no real reason? I don’t know how long I will have to stay on progesterone if I don’t do a hysterectomy. Progesterone makes me a bit crazy after several months of use. I have no pain, aside some with intercourse, nor any bleeding any more.

MEDICATIONS:
I started taking progesterone (Medroxyprogesterone 10mg-10 days ea. month) again in March 2021. I had stopped it for 1-1/2 years, and took it for a continuous year prior to that.

CURRENT & PAST Diagnosis:

UTERUS/OVARIES :
( I have had 5 endometrium biopsies over past 4 years and one D&C 6 years ago)

• 01-2021 Endo Biopsy Diagnosis: Pre-hyperplasia, Disordered proliferative endometrium without atypia. No evidence of endometrium or malignancy.

• 01-2021 Vaginal Ultrasound: Showed 3 fibroids, endometrium lining 8.72 mm w/ polyp. Ovaries: RT (3.35x2.33x2.01) w/ cyst 1.6x1.36x1.48. LF: 2.5x1.54x1.29 (no cyst).

• 03-2020 Endo Biopsy Diagnosis: A-tropic endometrium, no evidence of endometrium, polyp or malignancy.

• 12-2019 Endo Biopsy Diagnosis: Focal simple hyperplasia w/o atypia, backgroud pattern weakly endometrium. No evidence endometrium, polyp or malinancy.

• 08-2019 Vaginal Ultrasound: Endometrium lining 9mm, uterine fibrosis end thickness 8mm. Ovaries: RT (1.9x1.4x2) w/dominant focal on right side (1.6x1.4x1.6), could not see left ovary.

• 08-2019 Endo Biopsy Diagnosis: Disordered proliferative patterned endometrium w/ simple hyperplasia w/o atypia. No malignancy found.

• 2017 Endo Biopsy Diagnosis: Proliferative pattern w/ end breakdown unremarkable tissue, negative for hyperplasia & malignancy.

• 09-2015 D&C test results: Benign endo polyp found, negative for hyperplasia and endometriosis.

CERVIX:
(Pap & Colpo results last 9 years)

• 2021 Pap results: No virus detected.
• 2020 Pap results: HPV virus found, (not 16 or 18) and no malignancy found.
• 2019 (Jan) Pap results: Abnormal cells ascus, surface layers
• 2019 (Aug) Pap results: Cells normal but HPV still detected (not 16 or 18)
• 2019 (Feb) Colpo results: HPV detected, but within normal limits
• 2018 Pap results: Pap normal, no HPV found
• 2017 (June) Colpo results: negative for HPV and no hyperplasia
• 2017 Pap results: normal, no HPV found
• 2016 Pap results: HPV virus found, (not 16 or 18)
• 2016 (April) Colpo results: Mildly abnormal cells of CIN-1 cells
• 2014 Pap results: HPV virus found, (not 16 or 18)
• 2012 Pap results: No virus found

Thankyou , thank you for any thoughts/ideas/experiences/recommendations Hystersisterst!___ from the bottom of my heart! VitaForte
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2021, 05:38 PM
Re: Hysterectomy or D&C ? ( I have disordered proliferative endometrium without a-typia + on/off hpv not 16 or 18)

We can’t tell you whether or not to proceed with a hysterectomy, but we recommend you seek other opinions.

A hysterectomy is a major surgery and you should be the last resort.

A hysterectomy is a major surgery and it can result in side effects that are worse than your current condition
Unread 04-11-2021, 07:32 PM
Re: Hysterectomy or D&C ? ( I have disordered proliferative endometrium without a-typia + on/off hpv not 16 or 18)

thank you ! vitaforte
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2021, 10:33 AM

There are risks and uncertainty either way, whether you watch and wait or move ahead with surgery. There is also something to be said if watching and waiting creates more anxiety which is the case for some ladies. We always say to do your own research, get as many opinions as you need, then do what you feel is best for yourself long term. Whatever you decide, we'll be here for you!
Unread 04-13-2021, 12:18 PM

Many thanks Monami !
Unread 04-13-2021, 12:29 PM

PS: Does anyone know how I might be able to get some more specific replies, ie: someone that had this condition and what they did, etc?

Thank you again, VitaForte
Unread 04-13-2021, 04:04 PM

(((VitaForte))) You're on the forum where ladies with similar experience would most likely found. Unfortunately, our site traffic has been a bit slower lately. Until someone does come along, you can try some searches here on our forum for previous discussions which might be helpful (D&C or hysterectomy, etc.).
Unread 04-13-2021, 04:30 PM

Hi Vita,

I can't speak to the uterine issues but as far as your cervix goes. everything you've posted would be considered pretty low risk. It's not uncommon to have a positive hpv test off and on but between not having 16/18, never having a history of any real abnormal cell growth, and being negative at your last test, that would not be too worrisome and wouldn't even need any treatment.

I would imagine that your uterine issues would be the more important factor in your decision, and it sounds like based on what your doctors are saying that there is no single right answer, but more what works best for you. The doctors that are saying hysterectomy is better so you don't have to keep watching for anything - how are YOU feeling so far about having continued follow up? Are you finding it stressful or anxiety making? Or are you finding it not too bothersome and acceptable? Is the status quo working for you pretty well, or do you feel like you need more certainty?
Unread 04-14-2021, 09:08 AM

Thank you again Monami ..!

And Thank you so much JuniperSage for your specific advice. These are very good questions and I am trying to make the final decision D&C or Hyster in the next couple of weeks.. I am getting a 3rd opinion very soon prior to final decision.

Much appreciated !
VitaForte
Unread 04-14-2021, 09:51 AM

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register