Cath myself????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cath myself????? Cath myself?????

Unread 03-23-2001, 05:41 AM
Cath myself?????

Hi Ladies, Well, I've have my straight cath removed twice this week and no luck in peeing yet. Now I have to cath myself. Does anyone have any idea how long I will have to do this? My doc gave me a type of muscle relaxer to help with the bladder muscles and also he put me on Valium to relax ME!!! I have been so upset from all of this. The hyst was a breeze but I have this problem from the bladder repair. Any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2001, 12:47 PM
Cath myself?????

So sorry that you're having a challenge with your bladder. What type of bladder repair did you have?

I had a bladder tack. My term for it is a "tack and tuck" I also had some challenges at first. I had a suprapubic catheter that I had to leave in for 10 days. It seemed as though I had to retrain my bladder. I had to really relax and "think" about what I was doing. I am now 3 months post op and doing great.

Drink lots of water, cranberry juice, eat fruit. That will help some.

Let me know how you are! Feel free to email me.

Hugs,
Lola
Unread 03-24-2001, 04:09 AM
Cath myself?????

HI,
I also had a bladder tack along with my hyst, and Lola is correct in saying re-training. It was not easy going to the bathroom, and it seemed the harder I tried to go, the less I went. I learned that less pushing meant more in the way of outflow, and I also had to find a different position to sit in. When I discussed this with my doctor, he said, "I changed the position of your bladder, so changing the position you sit in would only make sense!" You are also in the process of healing from not only one surgery, but two, and this makes recovery a little bit slower. It will take some time, but it does happen. It is not uncommon for people to have to self-cath after it was time for the cath to come out. You may be able to find some other posts on the site by doing a search of the site and typing in "self-cath." Keep us updated on how you are doing!
Unread 03-24-2001, 10:55 AM
Cath myself?????

I had to cath myself for almost a month, I think. (Wow, how quickly I forget). I had some complication with the suprapubic. I was so grateful I could self-cath. It was the only way they would let me go home since I couldn't seem to pee. I know you get tired of hearing this - but be patient. Eventually it happens and then you can celebrate. A year from now it will all be a distant memory. Good luck on your recovery.
Unread 03-25-2001, 04:58 AM
Cath myself?????

Here is a link I found, you may want to email some of the women who had to self-cath to get some of their stories and to share your own. They may have some good info or ideas to discuss with your doctor.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...light=catheter
Unread 04-03-2001, 08:11 PM
Cath myself?????

Wimpy,
I have a few suggestions for you. First, get a peri bottle from your doctor. It is a plastic squeeze bottle you can fill with warm water, and gently squirt water on yourself, to help the muscles relax. Try running water in the sink when you are trying to void. You can also get a pan of warm water, put it on your lap, and put your hands in it. These are all things the nurses did with me, and any one of them may help you. Get as relaxed as possible. It is sooo hard to relax and let go, but once you do it once, it should become easier, and then you will be going potty like the big girls once again!!

Feel free to email me!
(((((Hugs)))))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register