Electing to have my cervix remain. Any thoughts? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Electing to have my cervix remain. Any thoughts? Electing to have my cervix remain. Any thoughts?

Unread 06-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Electing to have my cervix remain. Any thoughts?

Hi: I am in Northern N.J. Will have my surgery on July 15. I;m electing to have my cervix remain. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Re: Electing to have my cervix remain. Any thoughts?

I decided to keep my cervix also because I never had an abnormal pap, and there is no family history of cervical cancer in my family and because it was healthy. Each woman is different, and the recovery is a bit easier and quicker by keeping the cervix.
you have to do what is best for you.....
Unread 06-24-2009, 07:07 PM

i chose to keep my cervix also (first dr wanted to remove it and my healthy ovaries). i have no regrets at all. its your choice and i wish you the best of luck with your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2009, 08:34 PM

Hi ggblog

I had my cervix removed because of recent abnormal paps and dysplasia. My doctor and I agreed this would be the best option for me, and I haven't felt any differently inside without it.

What has your doctor recommended? Although it is your decision, it is important to understand the doctor's recommendation and the possible results either way so your decision is an informed one.

I'm sending big your way.
Unread 06-24-2009, 10:16 PM

Hi Ggblog,

I kept my cervix with my hyst and I am still pleased with the decision. In pre-op, my Dr. told me that he thought the cervix helps with pelvic support and with sex. I had normal pap smears for years and my cervix was sturdy so I was a good candidate to keep it. My Dr. told me that cervical cancer occurs in 3% or less of women..so that was good odds for me. I did not want to remove my healthy cervix to prevent something that might never happen.

In the end..just do what is *best* for you. That is what is most important.

Best wishes~

Mary
Unread 06-24-2009, 10:28 PM

I kept my cervix and I'm very happy with the choice I have made...never had a bad pap...I do have mini-periods...but that only lasts a day and it's a wipe and go...don't even need to wear a pad.
Unread 06-25-2009, 01:18 PM

I kept mine.
Although my surgeon (onc-gyn) said that I made the right call to do so (it's perfectly healthy, no history of bad paps, no family history of cancer), I get raised eyebrows from both my family doctor and my gyn.

My gyn went as far as saying "but you'll still need pap smears!". To which I replied "So?"
I really think both of those GUYS just think it an inconvenience for themselves and the medical system that I elected to keep my cervix.

Given my low odds for cervical cancer, I firmly believe I made the right decision and I'm going to stick to that.
Unread 06-25-2009, 01:57 PM

My OB/GYN encouraged me to keep mine....my surgery is 6/29/09. He said there is no reason to remove a healthy cervix...plus it prevents the possibility of vaginal dryness later on.
Unread 06-25-2009, 04:19 PM

Kept mine - Dr. was totally supportive as I have no history of any problems. Only downside is need for Pap smears going forward - not a big deal.

My Dr. cauterized my cervix so that I won't have mini periods in the future- may want to ask about that.

Good luck with your decision!
Unread 06-25-2009, 04:26 PM

ggblog - I noticed on your questionairre that you are having a vaginal hyst. It is my understanding that the cervix must come out with a vaginal hyst. Any other sisters with knowledge to the contrary?

Check with your Dr. and good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register