Leave cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Leave cervix? Leave cervix?

Unread 10-30-2001, 03:44 PM
Leave cervix?

I feel fairly confident I need the hysterectomy. I did check with 2 other doctors to confirm original dr's recommendation of total abdominal hyst including cervix removal & bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. Tests show endo, enlarged tubes & uterus, fibroids, 8x11cm ovarian cyst. I've read some internet articles that indicate the main reason to remove the cervix is to eliminate risk of cervical cancer - while reasons against include loss of pelvic floor support (possibly leading to incontinence, & prolapse of bladder & rectum) and loss of deep orgasm capability. I've only had one of those, 20 years ago, but I'd like to retain the hope of another one. I also want to avoid incontinence & prolapse. I'm afraid my doctor won't be for this, but so far I've just faxed a copy of some info from the internet - I'll talk to him Friday. Surgery is scheduled for 11/9. Any strong opinions, facts, etc. will be very appreciated. Thanks for the hope just posting this message gives me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2001, 05:38 PM
Leave cervix?

Dear Susan:

I had SAH/BSO on 3 Oct. My doctor was the one who recommended the supra-cervical procedure which kept my cervix. He said it was important for the support issues. Also mentioned the sex issues as well. He said that cancer of cervix can be easily identified thru yearly paps and he thought it was the thing to do. Additionally, keeping the cervix means less stitches and ligaments being moved around etc. during surgery. I am glad I made this decision. It made sense to me and still does.

Good luck to you.

Betty
Unread 10-30-2001, 06:54 PM
Leave cervix?

Well the choice that I made was to have mine removed. My mom has had cervical cancer before and so there is that strong possiblity to get it too. I do not want to have to go back through surgery if at all possible. My doctor explained to me the exact procedure he would be doing to support the necessary things after removing my cervix. I felt more comfortable after that. I also can say from recent experience that I have had better orgasms now than I did before. No pain no more! Everyone will have a different view point on this and it is up to you to make that choice. Talk it over with your doctor and the both of you can come up with what is right for you! You will make the right choice in the end. Take care

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2001, 08:46 PM
Leave cervix?

Dear Susan,

Your doc should be able to help you determine if you are a good candidate to keep your cervix with the endo & fibroid diagnoses.

I am sending huge cyberhugs your way
Unread 10-31-2001, 08:13 AM
Howdy...

It really is a matter of surgical skill and personal preference. It's yours and if you want to keep it, so be it. There are some downsides to it, like possible bleeding post hyst (just like with regular pd only lighter) depending on whether or not you keep ovaries or take hrt, and if you have endometrial implants there (which is rare, but possible) then pain can continue (but isn't likely). Make sure your surgeon is skilled in the supracervical surgery, however. You don't want to be a "test case".
Unread 10-31-2001, 10:36 AM
Leave cervix?

My dr just phoned in response to the faxed info I sent - & said "LEAVING THE CERVIX IS ARCHAIC" & MAY LEAD TO MALPRACTICE SUITS. This sounds defensive, rather than a calm, serious response. I know I'm freaking out a little about losing all this stuff (that I don't need), & feeling not in control, & I don't know how much this affects my decision-making. If I let my dr take the cervix too, am I caving in to a stubborn, possibly archaic, dr, or making a logical decision?
Unread 10-31-2001, 10:54 AM
Leave cervix?

Quote:
Originally posted by SusanJ
My dr just phoned in response to the faxed info I sent - & said "LEAVING THE CERVIX IS ARCHAIC" & MAY LEAD TO MALPRACTICE SUITS. This sounds defensive, rather than a calm, serious response. I know I'm freaking out a little about losing all this stuff (that I don't need), & feeling not in control, & I don't know how much this affects my decision-making. If I let my dr take the cervix too, am I caving in to a stubborn, possibly archaic, dr, or making a logical decision?
Dear Susan,

My doc #2 had much more cutting & pasting in mind than doc #3. Only YOU can decide if you are comfortable being his patient, based on the care you have received from him up to this point. And only YOU must live with the results of your surgery, good or bad.

Make the best choice for YOU.

Sending cyberhugs
Unread 10-31-2001, 11:10 AM
Actually it's not archaic...

It's being revisited as a "new procedure" in some circles. You can check this out at www.centerforendo.com and www.newshe.com If you're not comfortable with this doc (and his/her reactions to being questioned) I'd find another one and pronto. Surgery is hard enough to deal with, you don't need some one who is defensive and well, rude, to make things worse for you...

In particular this procedure is called Laparascopic Supracervical Hysterectomy...

The key, from my limited understanding, is having a surgeon who's competant to perform it....
Unread 10-31-2001, 11:26 AM
Leave cervix?

Susan:

Please get a second opinion! As I said my doctor recommended this. He said it is still the way hysts are normally done in Europe and that the US had gotten away from it thinking taking the cervix while already "in there" would eliminate any need for further surgery or chance of cancer of cervix. However, he said that the issues for keeping it outweigh that thinking. He also said that the US doctors are moving back to recommending this surgery when there is no history of cancer. I would really be offended if I got a fax from my doctor like what you received. This is your body and you can only choose these options once! Please find another doctor who will give you support in this area and more information so you can make a wise decision and not just let a doctor dictate what you have done for possibly no reason!

Please let us know how this goes for you.

Betty
Unread 11-02-2001, 09:05 AM
Cervix question vs "archaic" dr

Thank you so much for your helpful, supportive responses. I did give dr #1 a bunch of info from internet, then decided I just didn't trust him since he didn't know what is going on currently in the endo/hyster field. I've cancelled today's pre-op appt with him & the surgery date, and have gotten opinion from dr #2 who is up to date & willing to do surgery asap. Believe I'll find dr #3 too before I go ahead. I'll let you know when things are set up again, or if I need you again. Hugs all around.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register