Planning to work same day as Pre-op ? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Planning to work same day as Pre-op ? Planning to work same day as Pre-op ?

Unread 07-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Planning to work same day as Pre-op ?

I will have my pre op 7/23. I have an appointment with the hospital at 10 am and them my doctor at 1 pm. I am taking a sick day at work. It would be too much to try and fit work in between appointments. They did mention a bowel prep.
My LSH is on 7/28. I am schedule to work 7/26 and have the 27 off. Does any one thing it a good idea to take off 2/26 as well.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2008, 08:54 AM

my pre-op consisted of biopsy(cramping) then went straight to hospital for bloodwork and pee in a cup , EKG and chest x-ray. All that toke me a litttle over an hour. Depending on what area you are in and what the Dr. orders you may or may not have to report to the hospital for pre-op before hand to talk to anesthia tech and fill out papers. I didn't have to, the hospital called me for the info. I made sure to tell the Dr's. office that the hospital had to call me at a certain time so I could still get to work in time. Of course I work second shift. But maybe you can still schedule stuff around your work time. If the hospital contacts you for info. maybe they can call you at work for that, if that is allowed. Everybody has different experiences with there Pre-op. May be you should call your Dr. office and see what all you have to do and maybe they can give you a time line with how long it will take.
Unread 07-10-2008, 11:10 AM

My pre op with the doctor was a quick pelvic and a overview about what he was going to do and what I could expect. I also had to pee in the cup.

Pre op at the hospital was urine and blood. I didn't need any other tests. I am 46 and the pre op person at the hospital told me that at age 50, a chest x ray is requested unless you'd had one recently. Same with an EKG which I had just had a few weeks prior at my primary care internist as part of my annual exam.

I went to work after both of these pre op visits.
Unread 07-10-2008, 11:46 AM

I am going to take the 4th off, the day before my surgery, but I will work the 3rd. I want to save as much paid time off as I can! That will get paid out at the time of my surgery. JoHo you might want to start a new thread so you can get the support you need!
Unread 07-10-2008, 11:53 AM

Of course everyone's is different. Mine was a blood draw, pee in a cup and lots of questions (by them & me).

It wouldn't have been a problem for me to work that day.

If you are really concerned about it, call and ask what all they are going to do. I'm sure someone would be happy to answer your questions.
Unread 07-10-2008, 01:35 PM

Ok, I havent had my pre-op yet either and you all are scaring me. Mine is also Aug 1st. I thought I would go into the Dr office have a nice chat, perhaps a quick exam. Then I would be off the the hospital to answer their questions. My surgery is scheduled for the next week.
Unread 07-10-2008, 02:07 PM

If you have not had your pre-op, call the DR's office to see what you will need to do.

I went to the gyn. for an exam. I decided to have the hysterectomy at that time and they asked if I wanted to do the pre-op on that day or come back on the Fri. b4 my surg. Since the drive is about an hour and a half one-way, I opted to do it that day. I went right to the hospital (we live in a rural community) and did some cup-peeing, blood work, and questions, questions, questions. All in all it was about a half-day DR visit. But I guess its important so you know and they know.

I would have had no problem physically returning to work afterwards. Emotionally I wasn't sure, but you have already decided to have the surgery. I agree with Audra1974, "tell your boss that you're a "definite maybe" for the afternoon. That way, if you get to come back, you're a pleasant surprise..."

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register