new and a lot scared - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new and a lot scared new and a lot scared

Unread 03-30-2004, 07:39 AM
new and a lot scared

purplesnoopy,
It sounds like you have gotten plenty of great suggestions for questions to ask (and if you think of more later, write them down and give the doctor a call later. They are used to it.)

One of the most helpful things I did as far as my husband goes is I took him with me to the doctor. My reasoning was that in my emotional state, I felt another set of ears would be helpful. It turned out that DH had as many concerns as I did, just a different perspective--things I hadn't even thought of! It was also very good that he heard the doctor's strict orders about my limitations after surgery. DH was also more comfortable with the doctor at the hospital having previously spoken to him. DH will have to drive me to my 2-wk post-op visit and I intend for him to be part of that visit as well.

Another suggestion, which may not apply to you...my pre-op visit at the hospital involved a general exam by a hospital physician. I asked him a lot of questions, some that I'd already discussed with my own doctor, just for a second opinion. It really eased my mind about the surgery and the estrogen therapy.

And one last thing, on surgery day, your anesthesiologist will come in to talk to you before surgery. They will definitely be able to answer all your questions about post-op pain meds and it will not be "too late" to change any of the plans.

Best wishes to you! Your head will swim with questions for awhile and you'll make a lot of lists. My life seemed to have two catagories "Pre-Op" and "Post-Op" before my hyst date one week ago!

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2004, 09:26 AM
Hi Purplesnoopy,

Don't be afraid you will learn everything you want to know on this site. They were so much help to me. It's normal to be scared and want to know so much. Besides this site I read. My husband was awful helpful too but I do know some husbands are just scared themselves and don't know how to help you. Have him do some reading if you can. Hope everything goes well. Love, ((((STITCHER))))
Unread 03-30-2004, 10:06 AM
new and a lot scared

Thank you all so very much for your words of wisdom. I actaully wasn't going to have my DH go w/ me to my preop visit, but now I have reconsidered that and will ask him to go. He works 3rd shift and made the offer, but I didn't really see the need, but thanks to all the great advice, he will be there w/ me (less than 2 weeks - UHHH!) I have taken my list of questions for my doc out of my desk drawer and made notes on it as I have read each of your notes. I am so blessed to have found this site!! It's just really good to know that my fears and concerns are not abnormal! I'm the one everyone else comes to w/ their problems, so being dependent for support is new to me but as I have read alot of the posts, I realize that I am going to have to be very dependent on my DH, as well as all those friends and family who have depended on me - and with thier help, and God's, I will be a good girl and do just as the doc instructs. I do not want this to ruin my summer! Again, I cannot say enough how blessed I feel for this site.!!
Unread 03-30-2004, 10:31 AM
kathmerkin

Weepy? I was constantly weepy. Crying and cleaning none stop. I'm 44 and had a tubal done when I had my last child 18yrs ago. I knew I was done having children but it was so hard to give up that sacred uterus. I thought I was going crazy. I had my surgery last Friday LAVH and I was very weepy after surgery and I was not easy to get along with. I gave the nurses a hard time and I gave my DH an even harder time. I just wanted to go home and be left alone, like I was in murning. I had the patch put on right after surgery and when it finally kicked in I felt much better and very embarassed about the way I acted. I found that the people who truly care about me were all waiting to take care of me and my recovery has been very nice and I am much more pleasent now that I have the surgery behind me and dear friends and family that have been very understanding and supportive. No more crying for me. Lots of cards and flowers and emails from everyone has made everyting better. I too bought several new nightgowns and I couldn't wait to get in them and lounge around like a princess. I might be a little sore but I sure look good in pastels! I just want you to know that it is normal and hormonal and you too will feel better soon and you'll be glad that it is all behind you!
Good luck and speedy recovery!
mscorine
Unread 03-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Hi Purplesnoopy,

So glad your DH will be going with you. It is so important and much more help if your DH understands what you will be going through. Wish you the best. Keep us posted! Love, ((((STITCHER))))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register