Ibuprofen question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ibuprofen question Ibuprofen question

Unread 04-15-2004, 09:59 AM
Ibuprofen question

I had to call the nurse the other day cause I was in so much pain and was so tired of all the bleeding and I didn't know what to do. She told me to take ibuprofen 800mgs every 6 to 8 hours and it'd help with the pain and probly stop the bleeding. Well it's helped alot with the pain but my question is, if anyone knows, how long does it take to slow down or stop the bleeding cause mine hasnt slowed down much at all yet

Thanks bunches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Ibuprofen question

Hi Misty,

I'm glad the Ibuprofen is helping with the pain. As for when the bleeding might subside ... that's hard to say. Did you ask the nurse about that? It might be worth calling back just to let your doc/nurse know how you are doing. So much depends on what is causing the bleeding - fibroids, adenomyosis, or other conditions. Sometimes even tiny fibroids on the inside of the uterine lining can cause very heavy bleeding. You might even be anemic.

I'd suggest calling the doc again. Let us know what you find out and how you are doing, okay?

Beth
Unread 04-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Ibuprofen question

Hi Beth,
Thanks for your reply. I'm glad too that it's helped alot with the pain, it still lets me know there's something going on in there though but it's managible, I just hate the way it makes my head feel.
Nope I didn't ask the nurse about it, I was crying and so upset and tired that I forgot to. and yes I am anemic I found that out from my regular doctor and he sent me to have a pelvic ultrasound done. it showed an enlarged uterus. well to explain it a bit easier here's what part of the report said:
Incidental note of a few nabothian cysts is made.
Prominently enlarged uterus from no discrete mass. there is heterogeneouse echotexture suggesting multiple myometrial fibroids. There are portions of the junctional zone, which are poorly visualized and adenomyosis or submucosal fibroids cannot be excluded.
My regular doctor requested I go see a gyn because I may need a hysterectomy and I'm still waiting for that appointment date to get here to really find out what is really going on.
I'll try calling teh nurse again if I can get the nerve up to do it. believe it or not but I get so tongue tied when I need to ask questions and I'm afraid of getting teh run around just trying to get her on the phone again heh
Anyway I'll let you know if I find anything out and thanks for your reply

big hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2004, 06:16 PM
Ibuprofen question

I actually used to have some luck with Aleve cutting the bleeding by maybe a quarter to a third. However, I had to start taking them a couple days before my period was due. I know I've seen Aleve suggested for this purpose in a couple of other places. The last couple of years prior to my hyst. I was chomping on percocets during my period; they also seemed to slow down the flow. Glad it's all behind me now.
Unread 04-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Ibuprofen question

I'm sorry to hear of your pain. Story sounds all to familiar...

I, too, was told a few years back to try the ibuprofen, 800mg. It did slow my bleeding, to a degree. I found it worked better for me if I started taking it the first day of my period, which has always been nothing more than spotting. If I took it every 6-8 hrs for a couple of days, then the bleeding wasn't quite as bad as it would have been otherwise. Only thing, that's a lot of ibuprofen, and my stomach burns if I take 800 mg as often as every 6-8 hrs. Now I take 600mg every 4-6 hrs, and it doesn't seem to bother my stomach so much. Don't know that it has any effect on the bleeding anymore, but the pain relief is as good as anything else I have tried.

Please try to get the nerve to make the phone calls soon. This is your health and your body and you need help...don't be intimidated to look for that help.

My thoughts and prayers are with you...
Unread 04-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Ibuprofen question

Hi,
Sorry I haven't been replying, just been to tired to mess with the computer.
I thought I'd log on though and give you all an update. I was supose to see the gyn on monday afternoon but that morning I had shopping to do then went to get my hair cut and I passed out while waiting to have it done, so that afternoon I got to spend my time in the emergency room instead of seeing the gyn. The doc said it was just a combination of things that caused me to pass out so I didnt really get a straight answer. My new appointment is on the 6th so I don't have to wait as long as I did before and the good news is I've stopped bleeding so I don't have to mess with that now I just hope it lasts for awhile heh anyway that's my update. hope you all have a great day!

Hugs
Unread 04-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Ibuprofen question

Misty Eyes, I hope you are feeling better. If this is the first you have known about fibroids I hope you won't rush to get a hysterectomy. There are alternatives. It sounds like you need iron and that you are very anemic if you are passing out. I know how that is..no fun! The ibpropin helps the pain for me. It also makes the bleeding more manageable. I also have some Chinese herbs for when the bleeding gets very heavy. My best to you.
Unread 05-01-2004, 02:16 PM
Vitamin C

Hi Mistyeyes!
I hope you're feeling a lot better!
Your story sounds sooo familiar!
I too have a lot of bleeding from fibroids even though I am on BCP. I have found that 2 Aleve every day during my cycle really does help as does vitamin C (see link below). I've been taking 1000mg of C daily during my cycle and I find that this has helped to curtail the bleeding a great deal.
(C is water-soluble so your body only uses what it needs.)

And don't forget your iron supplements too!

http://www.wdxcyber.com/nbleed12.htm

And as ilikemyuterus ( I like mine too!) says, please don't rush into a hysterectomy! Get other opinions! I've had 2 docs tell me that I need one and I found one who says I don't. There really are many more options out there than one might think!
Unread 05-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Ibuprofen question

Hi everyone,
thanks for your replies and sorry I havent replied back. Sometimes I'm just to tired to know what to say I guess.

I went to the gyn today and he did a pap and some other test on my cervix, should know the results next week. He said I have two options, take birth control or something to control the bleeding and continue to let the fibroids grow and later down the line end up having an abdominal hysterectomy or have a vaginal hysterectomy now.

If I have it now the recovery time and hospital stay will be shorter, and not cost as much. If I do the bc it'll just prolong what will be needed later and may not have insurance to help cover it. My sister came to the docs with me and heard what he had to say and she thinks I should have the hysterectomy now as does my whole family. I see their point and kind of agree with them but I'm having a hard time making the desision. It seems like it will be so final, no more kids ever you no longer have that choice. but then I really don't need any more kids, I have two wonderfully hyper boys ages 16 and 12, they drive me nuts sometimes but what kid doesnt. I have my freedom if I want it, I wont have to worry about bringing a baby with me if I wanna get up and just go somewhere, I wont have to wait 5 more years then have to start dealing with the school again or if the kid will have adhd like my other two and need meds for that.
There are so many pluses why I shouldn't have another child but not having that choice is harder to deal with than I thought.

Anyway sorry this is so long, I just needed to vent it out to others who are going through the same thing around the same time I am.

{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register