does taking lupron shots help??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

does taking lupron shots help??? does taking lupron shots help???

Unread 04-30-2002, 04:26 AM
does taking lupron shots help???

I am thinking of taking lupron shots..to shrink my fibroids.Have anyone else taken these shots???Can you take them anytime of the month?? Will they grow back?? I am going to be 45...know I need to get rid of my fibroids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2002, 05:31 AM

Lupron is only a temporary treatment and will cause you to have symptoms of menopause. Is this what your dr. recommended? From what I've heard it's not a fun thing to be on and lots have refused the drug due to the side effects. It's always good to explore your options and make the best choice. I've heard of some women not reaching menopause until well in their fifties.

http://womenshealth.about.com/librar...terms=Fibroids
"Science is starting to evaluate other options for treating fibroids, including the use of Lupron which may be beneficial for those who want to become pregnant or for women approaching menopause when fibroids often shrink naturally. Lupron shrinks fibroids in most women with continued use, but one drawback is that the fibroids will quickly grow back once treatment is stopped."
Unread 04-30-2002, 05:50 PM

I was never on Lupron but can share about a friend of mine. She was placed on Lupron several months prior to her hysterectomy. The doctor needed to shrink her fibroid that was the size of a 6 month fetus. This was necessary to shrink prior to surgery. She had major hot flashes and night sweats. She had trouble sleeping. You may wish to do a search on this topic here in HysterSisters. Just go to the top of the page and click on the tab that says SEARCH and type in Lupron. You will see all the posts that have been made regarding Lupron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2002, 06:40 PM

Hi Phyllis

I was offered Lupron, but never used it. However, I've read posts here from ladies who had good success with it. Others reported pretty nasty side-effects.

Lupron normally is used no more than 6 months at a time. It essentially shuts down your ovaries so you experience menopausal symptoms. Lupron is often used with ladies that have endo. For some, this can provide several months of good pain relief. Lupron is also used to shrink fibroids - a temporary treatment until surgery in some cases.

Lupron is controversial, no doubt, but it has helped some women even if just for short periods of time. This is a decision only you can make, after weighing all the pros and cons and your personal situation. Best of luck! Let us know what you decide and how you are doing.

Beth
Unread 04-30-2002, 07:29 PM

.Hi Phyllis.

I have taken lupron shots twice. seven years ago i was on them for 10 months. As Beth said the usual is 6 months. I was on them for several reasons--i had (and still have) endometriosis and dr was trying to dry it up, my uterus was huge(could have turned tractor trailers around in there. lol) and she was hopeing it would shrink, to control my bleeding which would last up to 2 1/2 months at a streach, and to try to regulate my cycle. The first one comes 21 days after the start of your last period and then they are every 28 days and it's ok if they have to be given a day or so early but not late or you will have to start all over again. Now all that is what my dr told me and the schedual that i was on.

the bleeding stopped after the second shot and i loved the freedom of no periods. by the third shot i was a walking hot flash and had major night sweats. could only sleep for about 40 min at a time and would average about 3 hrs of sleep a night. i was needless to say always tired,grouchy,and miserable. when i told my dr she just smiled and said the shots were doing what they were suppose to and gave me some sleeping pills (which didn't help) and said see you next month. we had a lot of snow that winter and i would shovel in sweatpants, t-shirt and gloves. i was always so hot i could have just waded into the snow and i'm sure it would have just melted without me shoveling. the more shots i had the more symptoms would appear and the ones i already had got worse. it was very ugly and i am lucky that i have a patient dh who loves me so much because i couldn't stand myself at times and i'm not sure how he or my dd's did. when all was said and done the shots didn't work and i feel that they threw my whole system out of wack.

once the shots stopped the symptoms started to disappear. I could sleep again, had more energy, my hips didn't hurt any more, my skin was not as dry. but my internal thermostat was set on full force and it took 2 years and lots of prayer to get it back to where it should have been.

i started my second set of 3 shots in dec. 01 in to help shrink my uterus and dry up endometriosis so i could have my TAH/BSO on 3-4-02. this time i had no ill side effects at all. everything went well and here i am 8 weeks post. i am not on any hrt..my choice..and doing well.

this is just what happed to me. and i didn't have any fibroids so i don't know if any of this will help you. i am 43 now and was 35 when i had the first set.
Unread 04-30-2002, 08:05 PM

I had two Lupron shots to shrink my fibroids so they could be removed hysteroscopically (through the vagina using a camera and a special instrument). I had hot flashes, some mood swings, and slept badly because of the hot flashes. It was twelve weeks before my next period and the last few weeks were unending PMS. Other than that it was fine. I had no joint pain.

I had my hyst a year later for adenomyosis.
Unread 04-30-2002, 09:56 PM

I was scheduled for three Lupron injections, but ended up only taking two of them. One of the chief residents on my surgical team wanted me to give it a try because I was hemorrhaging uncontrollably and had already ended up in the ER for an emergency transfusion, with a hemoglobin of 4. I had a massive fibroid and extensive adeno (confirmed after surgery).

They started me right away, I had been bleeding for so long I didn't have any actual cycle (unless you count one cycle as about six months, lol). But I was one of the extremely rare cases where the bleeding never stopped. It let up a little bit for a few weeks, but then the hemorrhaging started again. Took the second injection, same thing happened, and by the time I had my hyst I already needed another three units of blood before they could operate. It also didn't shrink the fibroid.

I don't regret giving it a chance, because if it had worked the way it was supposed to, of course things would have gone more smoothly. The only side effects I had were a few hot flashes and weepiness. I'm not even sure the weepiness was from the Lupron, after all I was already in pretty bad shape and depressed as it was.

Just remember that it is only a temporary fix. The only permanent solution for fibroids, endo, or adeno is some kind of surgery. In my case a hysterectomy was the only answer, as my problems had obviously become life threatening by that point.

I hope this helps.
Unread 05-01-2002, 01:15 PM

Re. Lupron, my doctor recently recommended a TVH for adeno and prolapsed, majorly retroverted uterus (I'm scheduled for May 21st). When I asked my doctor about other options, she said she would tell me about Lupron b/c if I did my own research on the internet I would see it as an option. She said that I would spiral into menopause and that the side effects are awful; therefore, she does not recommend it. I have never used it but thought I would pass along what my doc said.
Unread 05-01-2002, 01:52 PM

I was on Lupron injections for 6 months about 3 years ago and let me tell ya the only 2 good things about the shot was no period and no pain! The rest was horrible! Hot flashes, emotional wreak!, sleep problems, etc...and then 3 months later I was on operating table for a laproscopic surgery to remove the endo, so the Lupron in my opinion is a temporary fix. I tried all the options, BC pills, Lupron, vitamins, progesterone and then Hysterectomy and its the best thing I ever did and I really wish I would've done it sooner!!
But if it makes you feel better then try everything I guess, I did! everyones body is different so Lupron may work for you its a chance to take if you feel after reading up on it you want to...
your body will be messed up though for awhile afterwards my hair wouldnt grow it was straw like skin was horrible general feeling of blah..
I hope I helped.
Christine
Unread 05-01-2002, 02:32 PM

I just finished 6 mos. of Lupron with add-back. I had hot flashes and severe joint pain before the add-back was started. I still had joint pain, just not so bad with the add-back. I only had one period while on the Lupron and that was when I got the first shot.Now I'm starting cbcps. My hair is awful, too. I wondered if it was because of the Lupron. I'm ready to cut it short to get rid of it. My skin was really dry, but I thought that was just winter time. Now I itch. The Lupron does seem to have helped the endo, tho. I haven't done real well with cbcps before, but I thought it would be worth a try since I did the Lupron. Now if I decide to have surgery, I will know that I have tried everything.

doublea

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register