LSH: What are the real risks/complications to be aware of? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH: What are the real risks/complications to be aware of? LSH: What are the real risks/complications to be aware of?

Unread 10-25-2008, 10:06 AM
LSH: What are the real risks/complications to be aware of?

Hi all,

I have been trying to decide between an abdominal myomectomy and the LSH. After lots of reading here, I am leaning LSH. I just want to ask to be sure I'm considering all the possible downs here... is there anything to add to my list of potential "minuses" for LSH?

-Small chance of going into surgical menopause, even if ovaries are left
-Unknown effect on libido, may go up, may go down, may stay the same.
-Possibility of mini periods since cervix will be left

Anything else I should be thinking about or aware of?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2008, 11:31 AM

Hi LucilleClifton,

I am four years post-op from my LSH and it is still one of the best things I ever did for my long term health.

In my opinion, a big factor with the LSH surgery type is to be a *good* candidate for the surgery type. I was a good candidate since I had a sturdy cervix and normal pap smears for years. Also, I had my cervix cauterized druing my hyst and I have not had any mini-periods in post-op. If a Hyster Sister keeps one or both ovaries and the cervix, there can be a chance of mini-periods in post-op. Generaly, ladies report needing a panty liner at that time of the month. Cervix cauterization does not guarantee no mini periods..and it does help.

I kept my ovaries with my LSH and they are still working great. Hyster Sisters can sometimes get sleeping ovaries in immediate post-op. The ovaries can go to sleep for a few weeks due to the trauma of surgery. In my case, my ovaries did not go to sleep.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 10-26-2008, 03:14 PM

Thank you, history lady, that's reassuring. My doctor wants to do an LSH. I brought up the mini period issue and he said he cauterizes the cervix and his patients haven't had a problem with mini periods so far. I am also a very good candidate for it and after debating I've decided that there are stronger arguments for keeping the cervix in than taking it out in my case, so it should be left in. I feel very good about this decision after weeks of debate.

I've been really worried about the ovaries though. The fact that they can "go to sleep" for a few weeks after hysterectomy is the first big piece of new information I've learned here. I had hot flashes after my ablation-at the tender age of 25! Therefore it's possible that my ovaries might react to the hysterectomy. I'll know not to freak out if that happens now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2008, 06:11 PM

i had an lsh over two years ago and although my ovaries took about 2 weeks to work at 100%, i had no other problems that i can complain about. i think its great to be informed of all the risks of any surgery and i hope you dont have any problems at all.
Unread 10-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Hi

I had a LSH on Jan14 of this year and i'm doing great. I have got a couple of mini periods. The doc corterized my cervics once and I still have had the occational mini period, which I should go back to the doc for because he wil do another silver nitrate treatment, that is what he said. The mini period's are very little staining nothing much at all. No cramping either. Just make sure your doctor is well trained in Laproscopic surgerys, because that is very inportant. Ask him how many surgerys of this kind he or she has done. Good luck to you and God Bless. Denise.
Unread 10-27-2008, 01:08 PM

Thanks everyone. I made the call today to schedule my hysterectomy. When I hung up the phone, I felt such an immense sense of relief wash over me! That must mean I've made the right decision, right?

:-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register