Upcoming hysterectomy SEPT 17th: The dreaded cleanse - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy SEPT 17th: The dreaded cleanse Upcoming hysterectomy SEPT 17th: The dreaded cleanse

Unread 09-16-2021, 06:23 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 9/17: The dreaded cleanse

Surgery is so stressful in advance I can't imagine having to contend with a bowel prep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2021, 01:42 PM

Ok Ladies,

I will never complain about a bowel prep again, not that I plan to have another surgery, but if I do, I will say nothing but: “Thank you!”

So as everyone knows, I had a five day pre surgery bowel prep, and hated it. As a little reminder, I was on two colace everyday, and one serving of miralax. This kept me pretty regular before surgery, and made me gassy. But now after almost two weeks post op, and very little pain with bowel movements, and no constipation at all I’m grateful I had the bowel prep and the two a day colace after surgery. I know we’ve all read the stories about painful bowel movements, and I have to say I would treat your bowels like you do your pain. I would stay ahead of it. Do yourself this favor even if your doctor (ask ahead if it’s ok) doesn’t prescribe it: get some over the counter stool softeners that don’t force you to go, but make it easier to go.
Unread 10-04-2021, 07:57 AM

My doctor has even brought up a bowel cleanse/prep. Should I ask about it?
Unread 10-04-2021, 08:33 AM

In general I would follow your own dr's advice assuming you have entrusted your care to someone good in their field. While one poster above had this severe bowel prep for most patients it is not part of the pre surgery prep and many of us take a stool softener after surgery for a day or two and are fine. That was the least of my problems and same with anyone I speak with. If in general if you have constipation and bowel issues advice may be different. Bottom line ,,,most do fine with no bowel concerns at all. The joke is usually how long for the first poop!!! This is all just normal.. Follow Dr's orders....
Unread 10-04-2021, 10:18 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy SEPT 17th: The dreaded cleanse

Hi!
I'm 27 days post op of abdominal hyst and reading about your bowel prep had me wondering if you had issues before surgery; hence the invasive prep. Not to be TMI but if it helps someone else, I'll share my story.

About two months prior to my TAH surgery I didn't poop for 9 days. In fact, I remember the exact date of that last poop (6/22) I tried everything to get and keep things moving: otc meds, tons of h20, walks, sitting for long periods of time, rocking, a potty stool, etc just couldn't poop. After an intense self belly massage (via Google) in an attempt to get things going, I started urinating blood. I finally made the call to my family doc who immediately took x-rays and found I was almost near full impaction. She could see one of my larger (20 week) fibriods near my very enlarged and full bowel and thought it might be pinching, contributing or causing the back up. Couldn't discuss what else could be causing this issue until these very fast growing fibroids were removed. (Colon cancer came up a few times so that scared me) Waited patiently to see my surgeon, 2 appts with her, ultrasounds, prep, fmla paperwork, etc...surgery was scheduled for a month later. During the month wait I was to stay on miralax 2ce/day, h20, use enemas, milk of magnesia, suppositories, whatever worked but to make sure I went at least every other day. It was a LONG month. Pre op appt, my surgeon said to NOT go into this surgery constipated. Told me to go light on food for a few days prior to surgery and a liquid diet a day before and of course nothing 12 hours before.

Had the surgery, colace was given to me in hospital, miralax prescribed for home, and bowels are currently doing their job wonderfully. All systems go; Yay!!

Recovery has been typical for me but I haven't had ANY BM issues since surgery. (Pooped on day 4) I'm still on 1/2 dose of miralax 1nce daily so to not push while in recovery, but doc says I can now slowly start pulling back on the miralax and let my body take over fully. I am so grateful & blessed to have had an amazing family doc and surgeon who worked together to fix this princess.

Bottom line, trust the directions given to you; you are precious and unique. Ask a ton of questions, do your research, but follow your directions to a T. There IS a method to their madness.

Healing hugs to all!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register