Disappearing Ovaries? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Disappearing Ovaries? Disappearing Ovaries?

Unread 09-22-2021, 04:33 PM
Disappearing Ovaries?

I am 46 and having some ongoing menopausal symptoms. So, today I had an ultrasound of my ovaries... And they could not find them. I'm a bit confused, they did an internal and external ultrasound but nothing. Did they disappear? Has anyone heard of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2021, 06:20 PM
Re: Disapprearing Ovaries?

Jemsplay,

Wow that is interesting! Maybe they are just camera shy and hiding? I am sure post op records where checked. Do you have any follow up appts to recheck?

Hopefully some ladies here that have some experience on this can shed some light on what might have happened.

Good Luck
Unread 09-23-2021, 08:39 PM
Re: Disapprearing Ovaries?

is it possible your dr removed them and that's why you're having menopause symptoms? I'd ask your dr and also ask for your surgical report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2021, 10:35 AM
Re: Disappearing Ovaries?

I've seen a few similar discussions here on that before! Ovaries and other smaller organs can "hide" behind the intestines, endo, adhesions, you name it - especially with an ultrasound which isn't as detailed as other imaging and they have more shadowing. I wish I could find the one from a few years ago which I remember clearly, but alas I can't. I found a few other past discussions with similar replies:If your surgery report doesn't show they were removed and there's no pathology report on them, I'd bet they're still there. Also, if you're having meno symptoms now, having had your ovaries removed would've probably brought those symptoms on well before a year post-op. At age 46, it's very possible that your menopause symptoms are from natural menopause.

Unread 10-05-2021, 04:19 PM
Disappearing Ovaries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemsplay View Post
I am 46 and having some ongoing menopausal symptoms. So, today I had an ultrasound of my ovaries... And they could not find them. I'm a bit confused, they did an internal and external ultrasound but nothing. Did they disappear? Has anyone heard of this?
I just had my surgery 6 1/2 weeks ago. Because my doctor took everything BUT my ovaries, they had to move my ovaries so they aren’t in the “normal” place where an inexperienced or non-curious ultrasound tech would look.

Below is what my surgeon did during my robotic hysterectomy:

“Bilateral Oophoropexy - A procedure in which the ovaries are elevated and fixed to the abdominal wall after the uterus, cervix and Fallopian tubes are removed.”

I hope that helps you! God bless!
Unread 10-05-2021, 05:06 PM

Years before my hysterectomy, I had an ultrasound because my gyno thought she felt a ‘roving’ cyst. The cyst was found but my right ovary had shriveled up to something so small, the tech couldn’t find it. When I had my hysterectomy, BOTH were found and removed.
Unread 10-05-2021, 06:37 PM

Ovaries can be tricky on US. Sometimes even before hysterectomy, they’d have trouble finding one or the other on me. They are small and among the most mobile organs! So they can hide easily. If your dr is concerned, he/she can order a repeat US or follow with a CT or MRI if you have symptoms that warrant it.
Unread 10-05-2021, 06:47 PM

Same thing happened to me! Could not find my ovaries on ultrasound! The tech said, oh that is normal, they shrink up into little raisins after as you get older! What!
Unread 10-06-2021, 06:06 AM
Disappearing Ovaries?

Hi There,

Before my hysterectomy years ago I had an ultrasound and the Tech couldn't find my right ovary.
I know I had a right ovary. Like another lady said it was probably hiding behind intestine or scar tissue. When I finally had my hysterectomy they found my right ovary. So it was there.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Unread 10-06-2021, 07:09 AM
Disappearing Ovaries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemsplay View Post

Maybe they did remove them… can you get a copy of the surgery notes? Should be in you medical records… I have a copy of mine from 2008 with pucturesvofbtyebovsriescand cyst they removed

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register