not feeling much like a princess... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

not feeling much like a princess... not feeling much like a princess...

Unread 05-03-2002, 06:02 AM
not feeling much like a princess...

Hi all,
I am 10 days post op. I had a TAH/BSO on the 23rd of April. My first checkup appointment is May 10th. I don't understand how some of you princesses can have so much energy already, (going back to work after 1 week!!!!!) and I have so little. I've been walking inside the house since I got home but after 2-3 minutes, I have to sit down. My healing seems to be going okay except for urinating is very uncomfortable. It doesn't really hurt but I have pressure after I'm done, like my bladder is deflated and is still trying to get more to come out. Does anyone else have this going on?
Gail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2002, 06:35 AM

You have been through a very major surgery. It is very normal to still get so tired. There is alot of internal healing going on. I took naps everyday for the first 6 weeks. I am now 12 weeks post-op and still get very tired and the swelly belly if I have had an active day. Keep resting, drinking lots of fluids, and the short walks. It is NOT common to go back to work at only 1 week post-op. Most doctors say at least 6 weeks. Trying to do too much, too soon, can just cause damage to the healing process. As for your bladder, possibly with all the "action" that went on internally during your surgery it will take some time for things to settle down. Call your doctor about the bladder problem. Keep us updated on your progress. Take care.
Unread 05-03-2002, 07:28 AM

It is not common to go back to work after just one week. I am close to 5 weeks & have been working 1/2 days this week which is about all I can handle. I go home in the afternoons & put my feet up. I sort of "overdid" it last week when I thought I was feeling so well - then realized that I had to back off some of the activity & give my body a chance to heal.
It takes a lot of patience when you're accustomed to being very active - but it will be worth it if you will take care of yourself. I understand that we can expect to feel much better after 6 - 8 weeks. But it really takes a good 3 months before you'll feel glad that you had this done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2002, 09:18 AM

Gail,

I can relate! I had my TAH/BSO on 4-8-02. I am almost 4 weeks and feel some days like I am never going to have any energy again. But I can tell you this. Every week just gets a little better. I can look back now and see the difference. I feel like I should be able to do more but I realize, thanks to all the sisters on this site, that this is going to take awhile.

The bladder thing gets better too. Just rest, walk, and drink (water, ya know, LOL). Hang in there! Every day is a little better. Better to take it easy and heal right, that's my mantra at the moment.

God bless you,
Brenda
Unread 05-03-2002, 09:23 AM

I'm the 1-week girl... all I can say is that I had mine done vaginally, which I think has made a huge difference in my recovery time. Also, typically, I recover more quickly from surgeries. I'm also 28, so I'm sure that factors in too, and I have an easygoing computer job..... All of those factors plus a huge incentive to go back (I can't afford not to) made me have to go back at one week. I'm also working part time there and am taking it very easy.

I dont' want anyone to get the impression that everyone should be rushing back to work! I'm in danger of overdoing it, but I don't really have much choice, and I'm trying to be very careful. I don't think my doc knows I'm back at work, and I seriously doubt she would approve it. She did tell me I can start working from home at 1 1/2 weeks if I felt up to it.

Please don't feel bad because you're not recovering like I am.. You had a completely different approach to your surgery - and EVERYONE recovers differently!

Unread 05-03-2002, 10:04 AM

I also had my surgery on April 23. I feel like I am running very low on energy. I do feel a little stronger each day though. I am trying to behave and not do much because I'm afraid of a setback. I am hoping to go back to work after 5 weeks and work 1/2 days for a week or two. I already have my staples out and have steritape. I can't wait for it to come off. My worst problem is bordum right now. I am not used to not driving and staying home. Best thing I can say is pay attention to your body and don't overdo it.
Reema
Unread 05-03-2002, 10:15 AM

A lot of employers require a written release from the DR to return to work so they aren't liable if you overdo at work.

My Dr told me I would be a couch potato for two weeks and she wasn't kidding. After that I started feeling like sitting up and moving around more, and it improved every day after that. I needed an afternoon nap until about 6 weeks.

I'm 12 weeks and mostly feeling back to normal.
Unread 05-03-2002, 10:38 AM
I know what TexasGirl means...

I had a TVH on April 29 and am already able to walk around the house more. Having the surgery done vaginally is easier on the body. My SIL had an abdominal hyster. and it took her much longer to feel better. TexasGirl is only working part time in a laid back atmosphere and she's 29 [boy, wish I were--healing is definitely easier!]. Yes, we all have to rest and listen to our bodies--I found the easiest way to listen to my body is to forget [yeah,right!] my pain pills. It's like a smack upside the head to lay down. And when you need the money, it's a hard decision. But yes, we should all rest now so that we heal properly.
Unread 05-03-2002, 10:39 AM

Please don't be discouraged, gogo. You are so newly crowned! Be patient and know that what you are going through is very normal after this Major Surgery.

I think I slept the entire first two weeks. Well, not every minute, but I fell asleep alot during the day as I laid on the sofa and watched a movie. As the weeks progressed, I napped alot and now I still get very tired sometimes if I do alot.

It is the rare person who feels well enough to go back to work before at least the 4 week mark. Many have a hard time even at 6 weeks. Many who are feeling well and overdo it, especially in the early weeks, end up suffering at least *some* negative effects. Sometimes they even end up in the ER. with major complications as a result.

So pamper yourself and try not to be discouraged. It takes quite a bit of time for most of us to feel great again.

Hugs!
Unread 05-03-2002, 10:55 AM

I also had my tah/bso on the 23rd. I won't be going back to work until at least june 12th. I am totally sapped too. I can do alot of things that I didn't think I would be able to do, but I am staying in bed mostly right now. I had suture out Tuesday and half of the incision opened up and now I've got alot of drainage. Don't push yourself or you will end up like me. Stuck in the bed so the incision will heal.

Hope you feel better soon,

Tracy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register