2nd day post hysterectomy, pain worse today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2nd day post hysterectomy, pain worse today 2nd day post hysterectomy, pain worse today

Unread 09-23-2021, 05:59 AM
2nd day post hysterectomy, pain worse today

Good morning!

I had my hysterectomy yesterday. Laparoscopic/vaginal. Please tell me the pain I’m in today (worse than yesterday) is normal. I hurt so bad. It probably didn’t help that in the middle of the night I dropped my cup and not thinking sat up really quick. I’ve been taking ibuprofen and Tylenol piggy backing and oxy but I still hurt so bad. Am I the only one feeling like this? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2021, 06:37 AM
Re: 2nd day, pain worse today

you probably have a lot of trapped lap gas still and that should resolve in a day or two. try to walk as much as possible to help it dissolve.
Unread 09-23-2021, 06:40 AM
Re: 2nd day, pain worse today

and

Any anesthesia or hospital-administered pain meds are working their way out of your system, so yes, it's possible to hurt more once you're home. We encourage women to stay ahead of / on top of pain by taking meds as scheduled. For some, it indeed means setting a reminder for night time dosages. Allowing too much time to lapse between doses can lead to pain getting the upper hand.

Our article Communicating Pain After Hysterectomy makes sure we're all on the same page about pain. If you're at a 7, with meds taken on schedule only being partially effective - ie. not reducing pain for 3-4 hours - let your doctor know. Some women need a different pain management regimen. Also, if you are unable to get your pain under control, I'd advise going to the ER.

One caution about taking oxycodone and Tylenol: - oxycodone has acetaminophen in it already, and any additional acetaminophen (in Tylenol) may be putting you over the maximum daily dosage.

Since you've just joined us, you might find these resources helpful in knowing what to expect during these first weeks:I'd also like to invite you to connect with your Recovery Thread for women who had surgery the same week as you at Recovery Progress Reports for Sep 20-26. Recovery Threads are wonderful for getting support, comparing notes, encouraging others, and keeping one another company.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2021, 10:13 AM
Re: 2nd day post hysterectomy, pain worse today

Hello,

Just checking in to see if you are feeling better, hoping the pain has lessened for you. Do try and keep up with the ibuprofen as it does help with swelling and inflammation. The first 3 days were the hardest for me but it does get better!
Sending you a cyber hug!
Unread 09-26-2021, 04:12 AM
2nd day post hysterectomy, pain worse today

For me, the pain from the laparoscopic gas peaked on day 3 and then it gradually dissipated, so I just thought I'd check in to see how you're doing with that. I'd also like to point out that if you're taking Percocet, which combines oxycodone with acetaminophen, combining that with Tylenol carries a high risk of overdosing on acetaminophen, but if you're just taking straight oxycodone, then you can safely combine that with the Tylenol as I did; if you're also taking an NSAID like ibuprofen, be sure to take it with food to minimize stomach upset. If you have a smartphone, there are apps that can help you to manage your medications, and possibly even set an alarm to remind you of when it's time to take your next dose. Best wishes for finding effective pain relief, and for continued health and healing!
Unread 09-26-2021, 01:49 PM
Re: 2nd day post hysterectomy, pain worse today

The second day was the worst for me as far as pain; my belly felt so painful and swollen I felt like I was going to explode. Walking around (slowly), drinking a little warm water, and an ice pack on my belly were what helped me the most, along with the pain meds. I got noticeable relief once I finally pooped; I've never celebrated a bodily function as heartily! Hope you feel better soon. Sending you hugs!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register