Scheduled Ablation and now very worried... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled Ablation and now very worried... Scheduled Ablation and now very worried...

Unread 12-30-2007, 01:11 AM
Scheduled Ablation and now very worried...

Hello,

I am relatively new and have posted in a few areas during the unraveling of my journey since my gyn appt. Let me give you a brief background. I had my annual exam (with a different doctor this year) where I told him about my irregular periods and very heavy bleeding/clotting. After a pelvic exam, he mentioned that my uterus was enlarged. Then he performed a transvaginal ultrasound where at first he thought it was a fibroid - He even showed me a white blob mass on the transvaginal ultrasound done in his office. Treatments were outlined for me, which began with taking birth control pills, depo shots, then ablation and of course hysterectomy. To confirm his findings, he wanted to send me out for a 2nd opinion of the findings and sent me to have another transvaginal ultrasound. And during this time, I had some time to adjust to the news of having fibroids.

The 2nd ultrasound has revealed NO FIBROIDS but instead endocervical thickness indicating adenomyosis. The lining of the uterus was in appearance normal up to 2mm but the lining in the endocervical area was not. And again, no fibroids found. At this point, I still had the same options laid out in front of me. So, I was scheduled for a biopsy which I had on Friday 12/28/07. They scrapped me all over the place and it was not pleasant at all. Now, I am awaiting news back from the pathologist whether or not there is any signs of cancer before ablation is scheduled.

I am concerned with reading all the posts I can on this procedure and the endocervical andenomyosis and the potential for cancer. The pap came back normal with indication of inflamation (got antibiotic cream). I had asked the doctor that if the pap came back normal, wouldn't I be in the clear of cervical cancer. Of course, he said "no" because the pap is for the ectocervical area not the endocervical area where the thickening is located.

I am surprised to find out information on fluid build up after ablation is done. It appears to me that it is very common and I cannot find any information online that associates the two together.

I have other concerns as well, during the biopsy, he mentioned that there was a cyst on the vaginal wall and if anyone has said anything about it (keep in mind this is a new doctor for me). I mentioned that previous doctors stated it was Bartholin's Gland Cyst and he said that it did not look like that at all.

So, I am here on these boards researching as much information as I can because I am really concerned that I may have indications of cancerous cells. I researched some of the risk factors and I am scared. I have been diagnosed with diabetes and I am obese and have been for 15 years now. (I just never lost that baby fat from having kids...)

I just had the biopsy done on friday, do you think the results would be in by the end of monday? I am anxious to know the rest of the story. Because if there is no cancer....great!!!....then I have to be concerned with the side effects of the ablation and that doesn't sound good from what I have read on here....If there is cancer, then that opens up a different bag of worries and concerns.

I watched my mother fight a long tough fight in 3 rounds of breast cancer and my father died of cancer when I was young. I am scared. The thing that I fear the most now lingers in my shadow.

I apologize for this being so long but any and all advice and stories are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2007, 09:59 PM

Hi Zuzupedals

I had a thickened endmetrium also, and remember what it was like waiting for the results of the endometrial biopsy too. My GYN said they weren't expecting cancer, but they routinely check pathology on patients before doing an ablation. They told me it would be about a week for my path report - and mine wasn't done on a holiday weekend.

I wasn't the best candidate for an ablation, and mine did fail, but I'm still very glad I tried it. My sister and two neighbors all had successful ablations and I wanted to see if I might have the same good fortune as they did. The only way for me to know was to try. It was an easy procedure for me. (Much, much easier than having my horrid period. ) If you proceed with EA, I hope you do well with it also. Good luck to you. Here's a link to a good Endometrial Ablation Discussion Group

s
Beth
Unread 01-01-2008, 12:02 PM

Hello,
I had an ablation done this summer for heavy bleeding,clots ect.
I did have my ultrasound done before the ablation. This showed polps and a slight thickning of the uterus. My OBGYN thought that this was because of the heavy bleeding. I had my ablation done all went well.
My Dr called me and stated to her surprise pre- pre cancer cells showed up.
My fear was here..... (My mom had a rare cervical ca about 16 yrs ago.) (my dad died from ca too) So, I like you worry about the "C' word.
Because I had my ablation, there was no way to keep track of the progress of these cells. She consulted with an GYN/ ONC and he stated If I still had bleeding the best thing would be an hysterectomy, "otherwise he tought I would be ok" There is NO way of knowing for sure.
I have had cramping and spotting since. I am scheduled 1-14-08 for a hysterectomy. Playing safe...
I wanted to give you my expreience.
Let us know how it goes...I am so very glad you had the testing done before your ablation .
Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2008, 12:19 PM

I had an ablation done in 2005 because of andenomyosis and polyps. My doc did tell me that if these returned I would be facing a hystorectomy. The ablation worked wonderful and I was back to work the next day. I had min. to no pain and the periods afterwards were a breeze (no worring about standing up or wearing 2 pads "just in case"). I just had (12-10-07) a TVH due to a prolapsed uterus. The ablation worked wonderful and I would highly recommend it. I pray they don't find cancer with your biopsy. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register