Ovaries attached to what? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries attached to what? Ovaries attached to what?

Unread 10-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Ovaries attached to what?

Hi everyone,
Oddly enough my sons watched a hysterectomy operation on youtube last night and came up with a question i havent stopped thinking about since. We were wondering......if the uterus is cut from the ovaries..then what are the ovaries attached to afterwards? I go in for my TAH next wed so its certainly the topic of discussion at our home.
Thanks again, Marie x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2008, 06:34 PM

I have the same question. The surgeon plans to leave one ovary, but I wonder what the heck it will be connected to once the uterus and tubes are gone?
Unread 10-08-2008, 06:36 PM

Hmm, I would have just guessed the ovaries were attached to the tubes.. Looking at a picture of our insides I dont see how they would function without the tube. WEIRD, LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2008, 06:40 PM

Maybe they just float around and hope to land somewhere cosy. I sure hope not!! lol
Unread 10-08-2008, 06:40 PM

Oh my! Maybe the ovaries are attached to both the uterus and the tubes? Strange how only now we realize we had no idea how we were really put together!!
Unread 10-09-2008, 03:18 PM

i'd seen this thread and asked at my post-op appt today!

the doc told me that the ovaries are connected to your tubes, and the tubes connect to your uterus...it's the tubes that are cut when you have your uterus out...
but the ovaries are not just connected to your uterus, they have a ligament that connects them to the side of your body, so, no they don't go floating away after your uterus has been removed!
Unread 10-12-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampbell
Hi everyone,
Oddly enough my sons watched a hysterectomy operation on youtube last night and came up with a question i havent stopped thinking about since. We were wondering......if the uterus is cut from the ovaries..then what are the ovaries attached to afterwards? I go in for my TAH next wed so its certainly the topic of discussion at our home.
Thanks again, Marie x
Marie,

That's a very good question and I know there are many members who have wondered the same thing. I was also one of the curious and asked my doctor at one of my post-op checks. He told me they were attached to ligaments and that's where they remain today.

I wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery! I will be thinking about you and praying that everything goes very well!

Deb
Unread 10-13-2008, 06:41 AM

Marie, Great question! I love anatomy stuff too and find it all fascinating the way we are put together.

Ladies, I removed quite a few replies to this thread because our original thread starter deserves to have a reply to her concern that isn't puncuated with silliness.

There are many places where we can enjoy our humor. Answering a question for a member who's question is legitimate isn't one of them. It's discouraging. It's embarassing. Notice our original thread starter didn't return? Let's keep in mind the original thread starter when you hit the reply button. It's why we are here!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register