LAVH is day surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH is day surgery? LAVH is day surgery?

Unread 02-12-2016, 05:15 PM
LAVH is day surgery?

I am scheduled for March 9 and I just found out it is day surgery - surgery around noon and out that evening. Though I just had laparoscopic day surgery to remove a cyst, one ovary and tube, and do a D&C, a hysterectomy plus removal of the other ovary and tube and some lymph nodes seems like a lot bigger surgery. Is anyone else scheduled to have your hysterectomy as day surgery? I'm nervous about how I'll feel on the hour ride home!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2016, 06:09 PM
Re: LAVH is day surgery?

My Dr. has me scheduled for overnight but stated that if I could keep clear liquids down, walk, eat anything they brought me and go to the bathroom; she has been known to let people go home that evening.
Unread 02-12-2016, 06:18 PM

Yes, my surgery will be day surgery as well. Like you I just had my left ovary and d&c and biopsy as well and it took 3 hrs because she had a hard time getting my ovary unstuck from my bowel. This time I will be getting everything removed. I shudder of the thought of going home on the same day. I think they should keep us at least one night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2016, 07:55 PM

Hi LotusFromMud -

Yes, LAVH can be day surgery. But, they will not let you go home if you are having issues. And, they will expect certain functionality before they release you.

If you do not feel well, you can ask if they will keep you overnight.

I had a TAH BSO, so I was in the hospital for 3 1/2 days.

Unread 02-12-2016, 08:02 PM

When I was first told LAVH is outpatient, I was shocked! I see many, many women post on here that they were more than happy to go home and sleep in their own bed. I am of a different mindset; I would prefer to stay just one night even if I am not having problems. I can't help it, it is just who I am and I would like that one night.

As of now (4 days away) I am not at all nervous about the surgery, but I am filled with anxiety about not staying overnight...it would just give me so much peace of mind. When I went to my pre-op this past Wednesday, my doc didn't seem so dead set on sending me home the same day. Instead I got a, "most go home, but we'll just have to wait and see how you are doing." It did allow me to breathe a little, but I still am extremely nervous of going home the same day.
Unread 02-13-2016, 04:26 AM
LAVH is day surgery?

Hello I'm having a TLH/BSO coming up on 2/26.

That was my exact thoughts when they said I would be going home same day. I personally don't handle pain very well and just didn't want to be pushed out of the castle so quickly.

I have done research and a Laproscopic surgery is routinely done as an outpatient whether you take out one organ or the whole works.

I have talked to my DH who will be my advocate that if I don't look too great and in pain to fight for me to stay one night.

I hope this helps alleviate your concerns.

Good luck 🍀
Unread 02-13-2016, 07:36 AM

I was shocked when I saw "Outpatient" on my form! Turns out, "outpatient" means less than 24 hours, so it could mean one night.

As others have said, if there are any issues, they will assign you to a bed, otherwise, you will go home.

In my particular case, I stayed one night, as my RBC was really low and I needed a transfusion, which took several hours, so I stayed one night. By the next morning, I still hadn't moved one inch. I felt like I was in so much discomfort that I laid on my back for about 10 hours straight. The doctor came in first thing in the morning and told me to get up, walk around, and to only sit in the chair, out of the bed. I was like.....whaaaaat???? I couldn't move! But he left, and I forced myself, lol, and I felt a ton better, once I was moving.
Unread 02-16-2016, 03:06 PM

Many thanks to all who replied! I spoke with my doctor and she said most of her patients do quite well going home same day. I'm still really nervous about it but I guess it's just best to trust that they know what they're doing and I won't be sent home unless I'm ready. This whole process will have been 6 months from my first symptoms to surgery date. I think I'm just a bit emotionally ragged and I'm noticing my family is kind of getting sick of thinking and talking about it. I'm planning to have my mom there just for the first night or two and then be alone. That way I can rest and deal quietly with things and it will give my family a break. I'm so thankful to have found this site. I don't have to worry about people here getting tired of this subject because you all understand. Thanks to everyone again!
Unread 02-16-2016, 04:26 PM

OH don't I KNOW what that feels like. I have been having pain that started in Nov 2014, I had a large complex ovarian cyst on my left ovary that turned out to be a endometrial cyst, I also had thickening of the uterine wall 19mm post menopause and a lot of pain in my left side. A gynecologist took out my left ovary and did a d&c, abdominal wash last Feb 11th. It was done laparoscopy, it took 3 hrs get do it all, I was told that it would only take an hr. She sent me home about 2 or 3 hrs after and I REALLY didn't feel like I was ready. Heck, I hadn't even peed yet, and i was throwing up.

SO here I am a year later, still having left pain but now the pain is everywhere in my lower pelvic. I can hardly sit. Urinating is painful afterwards for hrs and so is my bowel. I have been to see a few gyno's and then my dear husband insisted they do an MRI, thanks got they did it. It showed adenomyosis, fibrosis, my bladder wall is thickened and adhered to my abdominal wall, and my uterus is also adhered to my bowels. I also have endometriosis. Now this is the thing, adenomyosis is very painful and it usually goes away after menopause, but I fit into one of the rare cases where it doesn't, and it's actually getting worse, go me. I am also only 48 and went into menopause when I was 46.

So now, after all that I have been told that the only way to get rid of the pain is through a hysterectomy. I am OK with that, I'm actually quite excited about not being in pain all the time. The surgery is scheduled for March 23, (this Dr is the head of the gynecology unit at Mount Sinai) he will also have a bowel surgeon in with him in case they run into any problems. But because of all that I have going on in there and it sounds complex I can't for the life of me even imagine how and why they would want to send me home. I would feel so much more comfortable knowing that I am in a safe place surrounded by medical professionals if something goes wrong or if I cannot control the pain.

I feel like you as well about complaining all the time. That's all I seem to do, and I am sure my son and husband are getting tired of listening to it. I totally understand how you are feeling.

We can complain together.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register