Scheduled TAH May 19th I am going in | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

May 19th I am going in May 19th I am going in

Unread 05-12-2010, 04:23 AM
May 19th I am going in

I am going to be having a vaginal hysterecomy (Is that a TAH?). She told me I will be at least staying over night and that I will be out of work for 6 weeks. I am a mix of emotions, all though I don't feel any loss I guess as I have had two children and I am 35 now. We do not want any more children. I just want to be pain free as I have Adenomyosis and Pelvic Congestion Syndrome (PCS).

I have been reading on how to prepare for this surgery and I am so confused about it all. Like how do I prepare my room? My ride home? Could I take my own blanket with me for the night at the hospital? This is the part that is overwhemling to me.

Am I going to have to cleanse myself or do I eat a light salad the night before (course no eating after midnight, feel like a gremlin). My husband plans to take two weeks off of work just to take care of me and our 7 year old. Will I need him longer then that? Cause if so we got other people that will come and help as well if he has to return to work.

How long will I have to remain in bed as I work on graphics for hobby/slight living on the computer and I don't have a lap top? My work is not pleased with how "short" of a notice this is although I warned them this was happening sooner or later. But I work from now until the day before my surgery (I am a cashier and my shift is from 3pm to 10:30pm). Not sure at time my surgery is yet as I just saw my gyno yesterday and left a message for the surgery schedualing coordinator. So I should hear from her some time today. Plus I not I will have to make a pre-op appointment with my gyno again. Why does it seem to be more overwhelming to get prepared then it is to actually have it?

I hope I can find support here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Re: May 19th I am going in

Hello Sweetie....First off, I sending you a big cyber-hug...now...just sit down and breath....a TAH is where they remove your organs through your belly....yours will be removed through your vagina. How to prepare your room.....move things around where you can get to them easier....your night stand...have what you think you will need on it....I kept the remote and a place for my drinking water...stuff like that, so you can reach them easier. I also kept a notepad there so I could keep track of my meds and when I took them. My husband brought me home and I used a beach towel and folded it under my seat belt to keep me more comfortable...I had an SAH...so I was cut hip to hip. You don't need to take a blanket...but you might want to take your own pillow..if you think it would make you more comfortable. Take comfy pj's for the ride home. The hospital will provide a lot of what you will need. It is good that your husband will be with you for a few weeks....but you will have to explain to your 7 year old that you will not be able to lift him...but he can get on your bed...or in the chair to cuddle with you. After two weeks....just play it by ear and see how you feel....you might need someone to watch your child while you need a nap to rest...try not to push it. At 2 weeks...you will still be tired!!! With work....try not to worry about that....they will have to go by your doctors orders. You job it to get well and heal....but you must tell your doctor all of your duties at work so he/she won't let you go back too soon. Remember...you can always call the doctor's office with your questions...that is why they are there. About cleaning yourself...it just depends on the doctor...some women have to do bowl preps...I didn't have to do that....don't shave...if you need to be shaved...the nurses will do that. The doctors office should give you instructions...do not take asprin or advil....(they will thin your blood) Start writing down your questions for your doctor...I always forget to ask them, if I don't write them down.....take a notebook to the hospital so your husband can also write down instructions for when you come home. If you have any questions....ask us...we are glad to help. Good luck...(I hope I was able to help alittle)
Unread 05-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Re: May 19th I am going in

and

Welcome to HysterSistes! We're glad you joined us as you begin this journey! This is an awesome site filled with a wealth of information, support and lots of s!

A TAH is an abdominal hysterectomy. There are different types of vaginal hysterectomies. You can find a list of commonly used abbreviations here. I had a TVH (Total Vaginal Hysterectomy) 6 years ago and my initial recovery was about 6 weeks.

You might want to do some reading here. I encourage you to read in Checkpoints and the Pre-Op Page. You can also find lots of great hints from members in Hints.

I know it is overwelming for you. When preparing for my hysterectomy, I made sure that my bedroom and family room, where I planned to do my recovering, were clean and organized. Clean bedding, clean furniture and floors, table for meds, remotes, phone, etc.

Women who have an abdominal incision say that taking a small pillow to put in between the seatbelt and their tender tummy for the ride home is a good idea. I didn't have an abdominal incision and I, personally didn't need a pillow.

You can check with your hospital to make sure you can take your own blanket. My hospital didn't mind at all if I took my own blanket and pillow. Packing light is a good idea for your hospital stay, but things that make you more comfortable can be a big help.

Your doctor will instruct you about eating/drinking or bowel prep/cleanse before your surgery. I didn't have to do a bowel prep or liquid diet beforehand, just nothing by mouth after midnight the night before. The important thing is to do exactly what your doctor instructs you to do. If you're told to do a bowel prep, do it and if you're told not to, don't.

My husband took a week and a half off and that was plenty of time for me. It's good that you have others who can help out when your husband returns to work.

After my surgery, I was encouraged to take slow short walks and not just stay in bed. I did find that I was a little sore when I sat for too long, but I was able to get up and walk around and that helped.

Hang in there! We're here for you!

Deb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register