What did you tell people at work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What did you tell people at work? What did you tell people at work?

Unread 03-27-2011, 02:01 PM
What did you tell people at work?

I have to tell my boss tomorrow what I want her to tell the other managers of my surgery. I work for a small company so if one person knows it seems to get around. I feel it is personal that I am having a hysterectomy so I don't know if I want to tell everyone. What did other people tell their co workers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Re: What did you tell people at work?

I told my managers and HR person, I don't know if they told anyone else of my plans, but in my case I don't mind anyone knowing. I imagine you could tell whomever you need to and ask that they be discreet.
Unread 03-27-2011, 02:26 PM

I was totally open with my staff. I told them at a staff meeting that there was a good chance I would have to be off for surgery and when I finally got the date, I told them that I would be off until the New Year and who would be my replacement. Anyone who asked for details after that, I answered their questions and let the rumour mill do its job. I am the type of person that is pretty well an open book.

However, that doesn't seem to be your case. All you need to tell your boss is that you are going to be off on medical leave for so long and that is what she is to share with the other managers. If your boss knows more than that, ask her to please keep that knowledge private as you are uncomfortable with anyone else knowing. Tell her you trust her to keep your medical issues out of the rumour mill. That should make her think twice about sharing anything she shouldn't. =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2011, 02:42 PM

With my job, I work with a lot of well meaning gossips. Both male and female. Only my boss knows what I an going in for(small staffing, he contacts outside HR, but we also have their info). If any gets pushy, I say I'm going in for major abdominal surgery and let it go at that. I'm a fluffy sister, so I think they think I'm getting a tummy tuck. I wish.
Unread 03-27-2011, 02:54 PM

I just said medical leave to most of them. If they asked more I said "health issues". Really I'm not sure why I cared so much, but I didn't want my GYN problems to be discussed by one and all. In the end they mostly thought I had back surgery, so who knows where THAT idea came from. I did say later to those who I cared to tell what the story was, and word did travel.
Unread 03-27-2011, 03:14 PM

I work in a large office of mostly all girls. We talk about it all, so this was no biggie, they were so happy for me! It was wonderful to have their support. BTW, the first co-worker to call and check on me was the lone male in the office! :-)

If you'd like to keep it quiet, I'd let the Mgr know that. Just say, its something you feel sensitive and a bit emotional about and you'd like it not to be shared.
Unread 03-27-2011, 03:59 PM

I told my boss and close co-workers what I'm having. My boss has translated that to "invasive abdominal surgery" to the management above her. They can probably infer from that, but she felt that was sufficient to explain the length of my absence.
Unread 03-27-2011, 04:09 PM

I told HR as disabilty needs the info, and informed my manager of a major operation, but that was it.
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:21 AM

I told my boss--who was great--that I was having some surgery, and when I would be out (I teach college and we get about a 3 week break at the end of spring semester before summer starts--so I won't be missing too many days). I also told a close co-worker, who will be covering some of my advising duties.

I guess this is bad, but I did not tell HR. I did so 2 years ago when I had back surgery--again, during break--and the paperwork was NUTS. I also found out she was talking about me with her door open--and another co-worker overheard everything. I'm teaching online, so I don't even have to be on campus until late June (TAH is mid-May). So--just my boss and close co-worker. I am like you--very private. Good luck with everything!
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:42 AM

Had to tell my main management and those I work most closely with but anyone else who asked that was just being nosey I told I was having a Labotomy. Shut them up and they didn't ask again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register