LAVH Almost 4 weeks post hysterectomy: Turtle power | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Almost 4 weeks post hysterectomy: Turtle power Almost 4 weeks post hysterectomy: Turtle power

Unread 06-22-2021, 08:18 AM
Almost 4 weeks post hysterectomy: Turtle power

I am almost 4 weeks from surgery, and still cannot do any more than when I first came home. I can't walk far or do any lifting. I have a little more energy, but still get so sore and swollen at the slightest things. Is this normal? I'm getting a little discouraged...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2021, 11:48 AM
Re: Turtle power

you should be able to do a lot more than when you first came home after surgery. if your pain and swelling is that bad, you should contact your dr about it.
Unread 06-22-2021, 04:36 PM

Swelling is totally normal, and can continue for MONTHS. Yep. It can. As you move around, the internal healing soft tissues get inflamed and you swell up.

Being sore and tired are both to be expected, as well. Stand up straight, and start belly breathing. Deep, long inhales into your diaphragm, through your nose (try to get to a slow and easy 10 count inhale) and then an exhale through your nose in the same way. Push yourself to walk more. If you get a little sore, that’s ok and to be expected. If you are off prescription pain meds and can tolerate them, try Ibuprofen or Aleve to reduce the inflammation and help with soreness. An ice pack on your belly, following normal guidelines to prevent frost bite, reduce the inflammation and ease the soreness. I remember a distinct pressure and “my insides are falling out!” Feeling, as well. I found a water soaked frozen maxi pad worn in my underwear, following the frostbite guidelines helped a ton for that, as well. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water!

If you feel PAIN, stop. Soreness and swelling are part of the healing process. Hang in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2021, 05:07 PM

I was a very slow healer so I understand your frustration.

While four weeks may feel as if an eternity has passed, you are still in the early stages of recovery. Aches, pains, swelling and fatigue all may hit you at once. Pain is your body’s way of telling you to resume activity gradually. Yes, other gals do recover quicker, but that doesn’t matter - your body sets the pace for you personally.

Mindy Lee shared some great advice. Be kind to yourself and keep your expectations realistic. I had to constantly remind myself recovery was not a race.

Hugs and please take care. You will turn that corner.
Unread 06-23-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy Lee View Post
Swelling is totally normal, and can continue for MONTHS. Yep. It can. As you move around, the internal healing soft tissues get inflamed and you swell up.

Being sore and tired are both to be expected, as well. Stand up straight, and start belly breathing. Deep, long inhales into your diaphragm, through your nose (try to get to a slow and easy 10 count inhale) and then an exhale through your nose in the same way. Push yourself to walk more. If you get a little sore, that’s ok and to be expected. If you are off prescription pain meds and can tolerate them, try Ibuprofen or Aleve to reduce the inflammation and help with soreness. An ice pack on your belly, following normal guidelines to prevent frost bite, reduce the inflammation and ease the soreness. I remember a distinct pressure and “my insides are falling out!” Feeling, as well. I found a water soaked frozen maxi pad worn in my underwear, following the frostbite guidelines helped a ton for that, as well. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water!

If you feel PAIN, stop. Soreness and swelling are part of the healing process. Hang in there!
Thank you, Mindy Lee. This is super helpful. I haven't wanted to push myself even in walking due to inflammation. Thank you for your good advice. I'll try to get walking more!
Unread 06-23-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciamae View Post
I was a very slow healer so I understand your frustration.

While four weeks may feel as if an eternity has passed, you are still in the early stages of recovery. Aches, pains, swelling and fatigue all may hit you at once. Pain is your body’s way of telling you to resume activity gradually. Yes, other gals do recover quicker, but that doesn’t matter - your body sets the pace for you personally.

Mindy Lee shared some great advice. Be kind to yourself and keep your expectations realistic. I had to constantly remind myself recovery was not a race.

Hugs and please take care. You will turn that corner.
Thank you, Marciamae. It is such a mental battle! It's nice to hear that this can be quite normal and not necesarily something wrong!!
Unread 06-23-2021, 07:04 PM

I totally understand your frustration. As I learned, everyone heals at a different pace. Yes the majority are up and moving alot but for some of us it just takes longer. At 6 weeks I was still struggling, laying down alot. I went to the doctor and my vaginal cuff was healing very slowly. I started vaginal estrogen. I didn't really turn the corner until almost 9 weeks. Then my progress seemed like it jumped leaps and bounds. I'm currently 11 weeks and doing better every day. I actually walked 2 miles today. Listen to your body, not everyone else's. Healing will happen.
Unread 06-24-2021, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hm50 View Post
I totally understand your frustration. As I learned, everyone heals at a different pace. Yes the majority are up and moving alot but for some of us it just takes longer. At 6 weeks I was still struggling, laying down alot. I went to the doctor and my vaginal cuff was healing very slowly. I started vaginal estrogen. I didn't really turn the corner until almost 9 weeks. Then my progress seemed like it jumped leaps and bounds. I'm currently 11 weeks and doing better every day. I actually walked 2 miles today. Listen to your body, not everyone else's. Healing will happen.
Hm50, congratulations on your healing and being able to walk 2 miles!! That's certainly encouraging! I'm glad you found a solution to help you heal! I'm going for my first postop checkup tomorrow, so hopefully will get some answers!!
Unread 06-24-2021, 11:25 PM
Re: Almost 4 weeks post hysterectomy: Turtle power

Hang in there. Embrace the turtle power.
Better to let your body rest.
I thought I could get back to work at week 4, and planned only for 4 weeks break. But now I'm mid-week 5, I realized I can't do it.

The swelling should go down. Also sometimes the gut may play a part. My doc said the digestive system goes funny after this surgery, so there may be discomfort for up to 8 weeks.

Just make sure you walk a little here and there. If you can walk up to 30-45 mins? I think that is a good milestone. I still walk about 10 steps, stop, walk about 10-20 steps, stop.

Also, we lose a LOT of leg muscle in the first few weeks and it will take time to build that up. My legs are like jelly, I can't use stairs yet. I tried going down a few steps a couple of days ago and it was "step, wobbly, step together." My doc. said no stairs for 6 weeks.
Unread 06-25-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murasakigurl View Post
Hang in there. Embrace the turtle power.
Better to let your body rest.
I thought I could get back to work at week 4, and planned only for 4 weeks break. But now I'm mid-week 5, I realized I can't do it.

The swelling should go down. Also sometimes the gut may play a part. My doc said the digestive system goes funny after this surgery, so there may be discomfort for up to 8 weeks.

Just make sure you walk a little here and there. If you can walk up to 30-45 mins? I think that is a good milestone. I still walk about 10 steps, stop, walk about 10-20 steps, stop.

Also, we lose a LOT of leg muscle in the first few weeks and it will take time to build that up. My legs are like jelly, I can't use stairs yet. I tried going down a few steps a couple of days ago and it was "step, wobbly, step together." My doc. said no stairs for 6 weeks.
Thank you, murasakigurl. I just saw my dr today, looks like I'm on the same pace as you. She said no driving or swimming, etc for another 2 weeks. I feel so weak, too! At least it helps to know that this is normal and we're not alone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register