WHAT was I THINKING --Steps | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

WHAT was I THINKING --Steps WHAT was I THINKING --Steps

Unread 04-02-2005, 05:03 PM
WHAT was I THINKING --Steps

Hi sisters. My dh and I bought a big comfy bedroom set that has 3 steps that you MUST use to get into. I am wondering, will this be a problem?

I have heard the couch is not a friend. i do have a daybed, not very comfy, and DH said he will move it to living room, if i desire.

Anyone have any comments as to 1. Bed w/steps

2. Why is the couch not my friend?

3. I have no chairs except for my dining room they are wooden, i have read that some use lawnchairs, but what about my computer chair?

THANKS for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2005, 05:10 PM

I have 2 VERY long steep flights to get to the bedroom - so I asked at pre-op. I was told (and my written post-op instructions confirm) that stairs are okay. You do them one at a time - don't try bounding up them. My bigger concern for you is that I am sure there are no railing or support bars on those bed stairs - and your balance may not be perfect at first.

Think Sandy.... hmmmm.... can you move the steps against the wall for balance, even if you have to move out a nightstand temorarily and use a folding snack table that can be placed after you are in bed?

You may have to re-arrange your bedroom somewhat, but I would get something there for support.
Unread 04-02-2005, 05:13 PM

I don't have a bed with steps, but my doctor gave me permission to use the stairs slowly. Are they very steep? I might worry about balance the first few days, so it would be good to have something to hold on to on your way up or down.

As far as the couch not being a friend, it seems that would depend on the particular couch. I spent a lot of time on mine when I got tired of my bedroom's four walls, and I have a friend who spent her whole recovery on her couch. I'd guess that if it's wide enough and gives you good back support, and you can see the TV without crinking up your neck, it wouldn't be a problem.

My DH did put his big recliner in the bedroom the first couple of weeks so I had some variety in there when I got tired of lying on my back. You will need something soft under your behind--at least I did and I have a pretty cushy behind to begin with!--so I wouldn't recommend a lawn chair, or even an office chair for very long. In my case, sitting up straight hurt after a short time--too much pressure on the raw tissue inside--reclining or lying flat on my back was most comfy.

Of course, your experience could differ greatly from mine! Best wishes to you for a totally successful surgery and comfortable recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2005, 01:35 PM

My couch has become my best friend! I think you'll enjoy the change of pace - if I stay in bed too long I just get "stale".

I recommend having several different pillows on hand at the couch, including the squishy pillows everyone talks about here on this site. You can shift around, slouch on the couch with a pillow for support, lean against a pile of pillows to release gas...

The bed stairs are a little concerning. As other sisters have said, support for imbalance will be important. But, before you get out of bed, sit on the edge of the bed for a few minutes to make sure you're not dizzy or woozy.
Unread 04-03-2005, 02:49 PM

Thank each one of my sisters for the suggestions, I will be a good princess and stay out of the bed for the first week and see how it goes.

You ladies are the best.

thnks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register