What besides cancer could cause a rapidly growing uterus? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What besides cancer could cause a rapidly growing uterus? What besides cancer could cause a rapidly growing uterus?

Unread 07-21-2007, 11:41 AM
What besides cancer could cause a rapidly growing uterus?

I've avoided a hysterectomy for the past couple of decades, but due to a rapidly growing uterus (tripled in size in less than 2 years; plus I have fibroids) I now have no choice but to have a TAH/BSO. My doctor is concerned re: the rapid increase of the uterus, although he thinks it's only a remote possibility it is due to cancer (yet cancer IS the reason for his concern at this point). I've been reading about adenomyosis on this website and at first thought maybe that was the culprit (for the growing uterus), but then it seems that pain is the predominant symptom--which I've had very little of throughout the decades. I know that I have longstanding endometriosis and for sure adhesions from previous surgeries, so could it be that I am not experiencing the adenomyosis-related pain because so many nerve endings have been cut off by all the scarring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2007, 12:13 PM

I had adenomyosis and didn't know it because I had little to no pain. The little pain I was having was thought to be from the endo. So it was a surprise when the pathology report came back with adenomyosis as well as the endo.
Unread 07-21-2007, 02:53 PM

I would think adenomyosis is still a possibility even if you're not experiencing much pain. Another possibility is multiple fibroids. My uterus was covered in them-- some big, many small, some inside, some outside.

Gigimay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2007, 06:04 PM

Add me to the rapidly growing uterus...I didn't have cancer post op, but I did have adeno, multiple fibroids, and generally my uterus was a mess. I am SOOO glad it is gone!!! Yippee! I feel so much better, and you should too.
Unread 07-21-2007, 07:52 PM

When I got a copy of my pathology report I was surprised to said I had deep adenomyosis in the walls of my uterus, several cysts and fibroids. I never felt all the pain I have always read about associated with any of those. But my uterus was enlarged and tilted.

The pain I was experiencing was from two cysts on my right ovary.

Hang in there. Think positive and hugs to you!
Unread 07-22-2007, 08:19 AM

Dear Mariso,
Please get a 2nd opinion on how you can have your procedure done.
I am scheduled for my full hyst. on Oct 17th. I have endometrial atypical complex hyperplasia bording grade on carcinoma. I am on the east coast and went to Johns Hopkins for 2nd opinion. The gyno oncologist connected me with a dr. back on the east coast. I learned that I can have this surgery by new technology called "the DaVinci Robotic Surgery". The Dr. sees in 3D instead of 2D and with more precision and only 5 small holes in the abdomen. I cuts hospital recovery to 1-2 days and back on your feet in 2-3 weeks with little to no blood loss or stitches. I asked why didn't I know about this sooner and I walked away feeling that the whole hysto. is a very political and money making procedures for hospitals. Not all hospitals have the DaVinci and the Dr.s need to be very well trained. I am so glad I went for a 2nd opinion who hooked me up with a dr. who uses the DaVinci. I am still very scared but I no longer feel I am going to have a 6-8 week healing period so it's not so frightening. If anyone else is reading this, have they heard of this technology? I would ask yor dr. about the DaVinci to see if he uses this technology and if he can use this on you. I sure helped me with my fear. I could have had my schedule date 8/2 but I waited for this machine just to have this type of surgery instead on a regular Total Ab. hysto.with the removal of my ovaries. I learned that the DaVinci is a great tool for dr.s in cases where the patient may have a more complex surgery. If they find I have uterine cancer, they will go into my lymph nodes as well. I learned that the DaVinci is the best tool for this type of surgery. So please look into this and it may take your fear away if you get with the right Dr.s like I did. Good luck.
Unread 07-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks AnnieB

Based on your post I did do research on the method, and have an appointment set up with one of the few doctors who does it in this state--thank you. I just don't know if I'll qualify plus my appointment with him is just two days away from the scheduled surgery. I hate to go through the post-op, which includes meeting with my doctor, then at the last minute just cancelling out.
Unread 07-24-2007, 06:46 AM

Please let us know what happens. I wish you the very best with your appointment.
Unread 07-24-2007, 06:56 AM

Please keep us posted on what you decide!
Unread 07-24-2007, 08:36 AM

I had a fibroid which weighed 2.5 pounds when it was removed. I could feel my uterus when I touched my stomach, it was about the size of a tennis ball in February and the size of a melon by June. Try not to worry. I had am now well on the road to recovery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register