Do I have Everything? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do I have Everything? Do I have Everything?

Unread 03-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Do I have Everything?

I have ear plugs, gas-x, my mp3 player, cell phone, couple new jammies, new slipplers and robe, my own towel a BIG ONE, ,lotion, chapstick, my tolietries. What am I forgetting? I know I have 3 weeks 2 go but I like to be ahead of the game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 08:34 AM
Do I have Everything?

Wow you are very prepped!! I have nine days to go, and I need to get my stuff together! How are you going to keep your things secured - like your mp3 player?

I wanted to have my laptop brought up to me, as well as my cellphone/mp3 player (not an expensive one), so I was wondering what the ladies suggested doing to keep sticky fingers from walking off with my goodies.
Unread 03-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Do I have Everything?

It's never too early to start packing!! I am 12 days post op and this site hepled me a LOT!! I have three other suggestions for you. A small pillow, an eye mask, and granny panties.
The small pillow helped to hold against me when I had to sleep on my side. The nurses were very big on making sure I rotated from side to back to other side every 2-3 hours. You'll also need it for the ride home to cushion between you and the seat belt.
The eye mask helped to keep out the light when the phlebotomist had to turn on the light for my roommate. It also helped me get a few extra hours of sleep in the morning.
I brought granny panties one size bigger than I usually wear. I liked my cotton panties better than the hospital stretch,mesh panties.
Of course, the hospital is not the place to get rest, but these items helped me get a few more minutes.
I brought all the things on your list but I never used the mp3 player.
Best wishes for your surgery!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 08:56 AM
Do I have Everything?

One more thing -- check out the recipes on this site. I put together about 15 meals and froze them before I went to the castle. The drop chicken recipes are easy and very tasty! My DD can prepare them by herself. They are a great time saver and no effort is required- just thaw and cook!
Unread 03-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Do I have Everything?

It's great to be prepared, the only other thing I can suggest is a book. Believe it or not I did read at night. I guess it all depends on how long you're staying in the hospital. I was in for 4 days
Unread 03-31-2008, 02:19 PM
Do I have Everything?

I packed 2 bags. One went in with me, it had just a change of undies, socks, toiletries and a book. (I wore the sweats I arrived in when I went home)The other bag stayed in the car, and it had changes of clothes, a robe, slippers, my Ipod, cell phone, and everything else I thought I might want. My goal was to not have to keep track of anything I might not want, yet still be able to have someone get it if I did want it.

I never brought the 2nd bag in. I lived in the gown and socks they gave me. I asked for a belly binder from my doc, eliminated the need for the little pillow. When I walked around, I had a second gown I wore like a robe. I stayed laying reclined on my back or in the chair, I just wasn't comfortable laying flat. When the bowels finally did wake up, I was glad I was wearing their disposable undies. I couldn't concentrate enough to read the book, though I did pick it up a few times. Mostly I just rested.

I used my chapstick, deodorant, comb and toothbrush/paste. I took a shower while there, used the hospital's soap.

Leave the valuables with someone who can bring them to you if you want them. Trust me, by the time you feel like getting dressed to wander the halls they will send you home. Same goes for by the time you feel like talking much on the phone. Don't forget, if you have your cell, others can call you-usually when you are trying to get some shut eye.
I had my family call those who needed/wanted to be called right away, the rest waited until I got home and was feeling good enough to sit on the phone for a few.
Oh, and if you do bring it, make sure it's washable!
Unread 03-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Do I have Everything?

i did the same stuff as you, plus my own toothbrush, the hospital one is aweful.. i also packed some gas x (so i dont have towait for the nurses to give it to me) some hard candies (for dry mouth) magazines (easier to look at pictures and small articles then trying to read a book) and a huggy pillow.
thought of taking my laptop but didnt really want the worry of it disappearing when i left the room for anything(walking, or tests) figure i can ditch the mp3 it's small enough to do..oh yuh... dont forget your phone charger...
Unread 03-31-2008, 06:04 PM
Do I have Everything?

I highly recommend investing in the Bose noise reduction headset if you can justify it for another reason. We bought one a few years ago because we do a lot of traveling. It is a godsend when on a noisy airplane and in the hospital. I've had it for two hospital stays now. I sleep with them with my ipod on very low. It cuts out all of the noise in the hallway or a snoring roomate. The nurses would have to touch my arm to get me to wake up. It was great! They really increased the quality and quantity of my sleep.

Good luck with your surgery!!
Unread 03-31-2008, 08:16 PM
Do I have Everything?

You are all going to laugh at me, but here goes anyway (I'm preparing for the ) --

I took plenty of stuff with me to the . In retrospect, I could have packed in a gallon Ziplock bag! Here's what I didn't use:
  • My own PJs/robe -- I decided to let the hospital do the laundry with all of those awful chemicals, etc. and who-knows-what I was leaking while I was there!
  • My slippers -- Not allowed, I had to wear their blue socks with the grippers on the bottom for liability reasons
  • CD player -- I couldn't do anything more mentally taxing than run the remote control on the TV, my PCA pump, and order food. Forget it!
  • Hard candy, lip balm -- Didn't care a bit what my lips felt like and didn't want to bother with it
  • Book -- see above item about mentally taxing tasks

Here's what I did use: A small notebook and pen to jot down questions (as I had some memory issues!), toothbrush and toothpaste, a comb and hair binder since I had long hair at the time, some body lotion, and a small alarm clock so I didn't need to put on my glasses to see the clock on the wall. Oh, and I finally had enough mental strength to thumb through People magazine on day 3. Simply put, by the time I felt well enough to care about stuff, I wanted to be home!

I wore the same thing home from the as I wore when I came in for surgery -- a loose dress and slip-on shoes.

Pack whatever you feel is important to have, but try not to worry too much about forgetting, because anything you forget and need can be brought to you later. The less you can get by with, the less stuff you need to lug home, too.... I mean, the less your loyal subjects have to lug home for the new .
Unread 03-31-2008, 11:08 PM
Do I have Everything?

I'm marching into count down number 8 and I have been packed two weeks ago. I bought some cute little robes for my trip. A friend said it was good for keeping pressure off of the insision. I packed all of the usual stuff too. When I asked my DH if he could think of anything else for me to take to the hospital...he said...don't forget your UTERUS! LOL He's such a weird-O.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register