Any Suggestions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any Suggestions Any Suggestions

Unread 05-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Any Suggestions

I go in for my Hysterectomy on June 1st. Any ideas on what I should take? I see everyone says a "pillow pet". Im also very very nervous about the fleets enema. Im trying not to think about the big day but as it gets closer I get more and more nervous. I am looking forward to be outta pain and have my life back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Re: Any Suggestions

Fleets enemas are nothing at all. I'd so much rather do that than drink the bowel prep some women have to that make your bowels all gurly and feel like you have a stomach bug.

I stayed one night at the hospital. I took a robe, slippers, a change of clothes, hair brush, hair tie, tooth brush and tooth paste, cell phone, charger, and my laptop. That was it. I was out of the hospital right after breakfast.

I never used a little pillow. I didn't use one after my c-sections either.
Unread 05-25-2012, 03:39 PM

My surgery was this past Tuesday and I didn't have a pillow pet either. I just asked the nurse for an extra pillow to use as needed. I was very scared of the enemas too! I followed the nurse's instructions (they are on the box too, but for some reason I didn't trust them!). The first one I did 3 hours after lunch and the second one I did right before bedtime. I used extra lubricant too, as what was already there did not seem enough at all! Its like having diarreha but without the "sick" feeling that comes with it. Some hospitals give an "overnight" bag with toothpaste and soap and stuff. I went with my own bag with: toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, bodywash, chapstick, a small mirror, and lotion. My hospital didn't provide anything so I was glad to have mine. Other things I brought: some loose fitting pj's (which i wore there), slipper socks, my iPad, cellphone, chargers, magazines, travel size tissues. My iPad was a lifesaver, as the cellphone service totally sucked at the hospital I was at. I was stuck in bed for a full 24 hours after surgery with catheter, IV, some leg compression thingies, and a heart moniter. I wasn't discharged til 3 pm. So its alot of time to kill. I slept alot, but between every 3-4 hour nap I was awake for about 90 minutes. Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2012, 06:45 PM

All I used in the hospital was toothbrush, toothpaste,lip stiff, brush and phone charger. I wouldn't bring anything else, you will not be coherent enough to change into other clothes or read etc.
Your really not there long enough to do much. The meds will have you not really caring about much but pain, burping and farting in all honesty!!
Unread 05-26-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomekast View Post
All I used in the hospital was toothbrush, toothpaste,lip stiff, brush and phone charger. I wouldn't bring anything else, you will not be coherent enough to change into other clothes or read etc.
I agree completely. I actually only really used chapstick and a comb for my hair. I brought some magazines and a puzzle book, but I didn't use either one. I spent a lot of time sleeping and watching TV the first day after surgery and unfortunately a lot of time being so nauseous I couldn't do anything else on the second day.

I borrowed my mom's cellphone if I needed to make a call or for local calls I used the hospital room's phone.

I was very happy not to be wearing my own clothes when I ended up getting sick all over myself on the second day. It was so nice for the nurse to help me change my gown and then take it away to be cleaned. I would not have wanted to take home dirty clothes to be washed at my house!

I also didn't want to wear my own slippers on the hospital floor. I can only imagine the germs on that floor. The hospital socks worked just fine for me.

I ended up using a large fluffy folded up beach towel under the seat belt in the car on the way home. I just made sure it was in the car on my way to the hospital and left it there for when I went home.

Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 05-26-2012, 07:16 PM

I did wear my own PJs once the catheter was removed, and I used my toothbrush and toothpaste. For entertainment, I watched TV. I was only in for one night, so I didn't need much. I did take a pillow with me, and it was nice to have a little piece of home.
Unread 05-26-2012, 07:36 PM

My hospital provided nothing except the bed, pillows, blankets, the TV and wifi. No socks, no bath amenities, not even cell phone service. I packed just what I thought I might need and made sure it fit into one small bag. Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I wasn't in alot of pain and didn't need hardly any pain meds. So in between naps I had practically nothing to do except watch tv and play on my ipad. Everyone responds differently to surgery and every hospital is different in the amenities they offer.
Unread 05-26-2012, 10:01 PM

Thanks to everyones replies. Im a big baby and really nervous. My hubby laughed about the fleets enema, until i told him he had to help lol. Im ready for this all to be over. Thanks for listening.
Unread 05-26-2012, 11:13 PM

I didn't use any special type of pillow. At the hospital, the nurses folded up a blanket and put it on my stomach. I used it the entire time I was in the hospital. It helped to press it if I had to cough or clear my throat. When I got home, I would sit on the sofa and use one of the throw pillows across my stomach.

In case your hospital doesn't provide toilet articles, you could buy trial sizes of shampoo, baby powder, lotion, toothpaste, etc.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register