Do any of your husbands, bf's, or gf's shy away from talking about prep & recovery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do any of your husbands, bf's, or gf's shy away from talking about prep & recovery? Do any of your husbands, bf's, or gf's shy away from talking about prep & recovery?

Unread 12-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Do any of your husbands, bf's, or gf's shy away from talking about prep & recovery?

Hi Sisters,
It was a long subject title, and kind of sums up my concern. For the most part I have found women are way more open to talking about hyst.

I know, it's like well duh. We're used to talking about periods with no problem. My s/o has been good for the most part but when I elaborate he clams up. So I go on here and it's wonderful. We have a strained relationship sometimes & I dealing with it & taking care of me, and will address it when I'm better.

He says this site is giving my all these ideas to worry about. I said it's preparing me big time.

Anyway, I know that's kind of 2 topics here. I just kind of venting. I know I'm not alone with you ladies out here. I LOVE THIS SITE!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Re: Do any of your husbands, bf's, or gf's shy away from talking about prep & recover

My hubby refuses to talk about it. He has taken two days off to be with me post surgery but he keeps saying i should be good after a few weeks. Its hard cuz this site.is the only.place i can talk about what i am going through.
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Re: Do any of your husbands, bf's, or gf's shy away from talking about prep & recover

If they are willing, have them check out misterhystersisters. Great info there for husbands/partners/families. Really helped my partner to understand! I think men feel like we are invincible, we always pull it together no matter how unwell we are feeling- we are superwomen! It can be hard for them to understand that this surgery isn't a walk in the park- its tough and we need time to heal properly and most of all, we need their support to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2012, 09:45 AM

Yes me too. My DH refused to talk about it also but he has some medical back ground and thinks he knows it all. Since having hysto, I come here for any concerns and just don't discuss it with him. The BIG topic right now is when I am going back to work. I work as a substitute teacher and have the ability to work as needed or basically when I want. So I have decided to work a few days a week going back in January and if its too much, I will just cut back. Fortunately my flexibility relies on the needs of the school district. I reminded him of when he has his vasectomy and how I babied him for 2 months because it was so painful and I had a 3 week old and a 18 month old toddler while taking care of him and his little pain. Reminders are sometimes worth mentioning. The discussion was over.
I want him to come with me for my first follow up on Friday to ask doctor any questions and to drive me but he doesn't want to and doesn't want to ask for the hour time off.. Go figure! So yes I am dealing with an irrational retired medic who knows everything....
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:46 AM

My hubby would never read the website. He seriously acts like i am just getting wisdom teeth removed or something. Surgery is wed and i think he really believes i will be good to resume life by monday
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:50 AM

My hubby is seriously the best. Has been waiting on me hand and foot. But he is always the best. Very caring and sensitive. Good reminder for me about just how awesome he really is, as I have a tendency to take him for granted.
Unread 12-02-2012, 10:38 AM

My bf is being borderline selfish. Although he is being supportive and knows I have to have surgery, and he definitely doesn't want to see me in pain anymore....he's very concerned with himself. How it's going to affect his life, who's going to help him around the house, who's going to watch his kids, even going so far as to make jokes about finding him a "friend" so he's not lonely for 6 weeks.
Unread 12-02-2012, 01:06 PM

Estrawser- that is seriously messed up. Instead of making jokes that are in bad taste, he should be more concerned about how its going to affect you. I would not put up with any jokes about finding a "friend" because they arent always just a joke.
Unread 12-02-2012, 01:14 PM

I made clear the jokes were way out of line. This is a major part of my life and I have enough fears and concerns to deal with. I don't need to worry about whether my bf is going to stay beside me thru this.
Unread 12-02-2012, 01:33 PM

I completely agree! Good for you standing up to the childish behavior. Just remember your sisters here have your back. I am 12 days ahead of you to the castle but will see you on the other side of this adventure

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register