All bottled into one... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

All bottled into one... All bottled into one...

Unread 02-10-2014, 08:18 PM
All bottled into one...

1st thing, I'm a new member and will have my surgery Mach 11 (let the count down begin right?!). I have researched loads,... upon loads. I just want to start asking all the questions I have right now, and then if need be add on as replies are posted or time progresses... here goes...

Is there a difference in the laparoscopic version and Da Vinci?
My dr said she wants to do laparoscopic, but if thats not a success, will have to go in through c-section scar... anyone else have this analysis going in, if so which version was done? (I'd like to get multiple responses cause I know everyone's experience is different.)
What did you forget at home that you needed at hospital?
What is something you took that you could have done without?
How long after surgery were you up for guest (at the hospital or at home)?
What were the most comfortable pants to where after surgery (if any)?
How long after laparoscopic surgery did you return to work?abdominal?
Washing your hair? I have thick hair that normally I have to wash twice... I plan on getting a haircut before to take some of the load off, but how difficult was it? (I though about getting some of the dry shampoo that they have now, but wasn't sure.)

What is the #1 thing you wish you knew before and after the surgery?

Thank you to all that read and reply. I truly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2014, 10:55 PM
All bottled into one...

Is there a difference in the laparoscopic version and Da Vinci?
I'm sure there is a diff but I had a TAH so I will let someone else help

What did you forget at home that you needed at hospital? I was well prepared

What is something you took that you could have done without? A lot, books.. My tablet.

How long after surgery were you up for guest (at the hospital or at home)? I had guest both in hospital and at home. And was fine. It wasn't the amount of people it was the length of time I spent with them. The longest visit I had was 30 minutes or so with some friends. I was nodding off towards the end bc of pain meds.

What were the most comfortable pants to where after surgery (if any)? Yoga. I still live in them. Severe swelly belly

How long after laparoscopic surgery did you return to work?abdominal? I am scheduled to rerun at 8 weeks post op, at this point I may ask for an additional 2 weeks

Washing your hair? I showered and washed my hair with no problems day 2(had to wait to get the catheter out) it does make you tired but it felt nice. Lifting my arms have not been a problem at all

I didn't ask a ton of questions as mine happened so fast. I wish I had known more about my incision, internal and external stitching... I also wish I had known more about recovery and how slow it would be. At my 2 week visit she said everything looked great. Now to start to begin healing and getting back to normal. I'm nowhere near 1/3 of where I thought id be by now.
Unread 02-11-2014, 02:16 AM
Re: All bottled into one...

Hi natg34
Well done for doing your research,, planning certainly helps. I had a LAH in 2007 and vertical cut ab surgery for cyst just recently. I think recovery is similar for both with ab just a bit slower recovery-remember the internal trauma occurs for both.
I didn't need the makeup or books in hosp - no time or inclination for either and it's hard to concentrate for long periods.
Guests are ok the day after but not too many and short visits - I got very tired
I only wore nighties in hosp but bought some nice big granny knickers both times that I'm still wearing. They work well to cover the incisions and give you lots of space for your swelly gassy belly.
I went back to work on reduced hours after six weeks for the LAH and I'm hoping it will be similar this time.
I could wash my hair on day two, but I have short hair. I'd take the dry shampoo just in case you're not strong enough in those first few days. I really felt shaky in the shower for a few days and used a shower chair while in hosp. You don't want to be standing too long anyway as it's quite tiring.
I wish I'd known more about the painkillers I was given. Some of them made me feel really jittery they didn't agree with me. It would help to know about the pain scale. The nurses ask what level your pain is. I didn't understand the scale so I think I was over medicated for a while.

Hope all goes well for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2014, 08:14 PM

Hi natg34 to HysterSisters!

Here is some information on hysterectomy types that should help out: Hysterectomy Definition

I needed very little in the hospital, most was provided. And I had a 3 and 1/2 day hospital stay.

I brought a magazine, and never read it because I could not concentrate. If you bring some reading, keep it very light.

I was not up for guests in the hospital at all, and at home... it took probably three weeks.

I spent 12 weeks in sweats and old shorts - both with elastic waist bands.

With my TAH BSO, I went back to work 3 weeks after surgery, but only part time. And that was TOUGH, TOUGH, TOUGH. I did part time work for another 4 weeks before returning to full time, and then no OT.

Yes, cutting your hair would be good. You will be able to wash it, but won't be able to spend much time in the shower. You will be too tired.

The number one thing I wish I knew....
1. How utterly exhausted I would be after the surgery; and
2. The extreme emotional turmoil I would go through, and how long that would take to settle down

Hope those answers help....

Unread 02-11-2014, 08:21 PM

I need to add. One thing i wish I had known was anything about night sweats. I kept my ovaries and didn't expect them at all!
Unread 02-12-2014, 10:00 AM

----Nothing the hyster sister packing list is great

----PJ's and robe, wore what hospital gave me

----3-4 days

----drawstring pj pants. For undies I love my Bali Skimp Skamp Briefs.

Washing your hair? I have thick hair that normally I have to wash twice... I plan on getting a haircut before to take some of the load off, but how difficult was it? (I though about getting some of the dry shampoo that they have now, but wasn't sure.)
---- I cut 10 inches! off my hair to shoulder length. Felt great! Before surgery I scheduled a wash/dry and made arrangements for a ride 1 week after. It gave me something to look forward to and was a great first trip out of the house. Used the dry shampoo a few times but really didn't care. Washed own hair 12 days after with hand held shower.

----It's such a personal journey full of anxiety and fear that so many have experienced. Talk openly with friends and share, you are not alone. You'll be surprised who comes through with support. People I hardly know became great supports.
Unread 02-12-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natg34 View Post
A great resource for this is the Hints From Members section.

Quote:
You're up for guests when you're ready. I would limit initial visits to 15 minutes. Entertaining is exhausting.

Quote:
I stayed away from pants for a few weeks. They catch on stitches and squish areas that aren't comfortable being squished.

Quote:
How long after laparoscopic surgery did you return to work?abdominal?
Follow your doctor's orders on this one. When I had my BHO laproscopicly I returned after 3 weeks. With my TAH 12 weeks. I am a slow healer.

Quote:
Once you're up to showering you shouldn't have a problem.

Quote:
That HRT isn't as scary as it sounds. It's a total pain in the beginning, but overall it hasn't been that bad.

Also, I wish I took what's in my signature seriously at first with my TAH. It took me hurting myself to accept that you only get one chance to heal properly and you owe it to yourself to do everything in your power to do so. If that means the living room floor looks like the aftermath of a ticker tape parade every day for a month then so be it. If that means everyone eats off paper plates it is okay. You are worth that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register