Ablation for small submucousal fibroids? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ablation for small submucousal fibroids? Ablation for small submucousal fibroids?

Unread 12-30-2015, 02:55 AM
Ablation for small submucousal fibroids?

I thought I'd share my story in the hope that someone who has been in a similar position can advise....

I'm 48 and my problems started just over 2 years ago. I'd been on the combined pill for several years with no problems when I noticed my withdrawal bleeds were getting much heavier and then I started bleeding and spotting in between. I was found to have 2-3 small marble sized fibroids (the type that grow under the womb lining). I also have a number of others but their location is not thought to be causing issues. I was told that, due to the location under the womb lining, the fibroids could not be completely removed. Instead, I had a hysterocopy to shave them back from the womb cavity. I had a Minera coil inserted at the same time. I was told the combination of the two things should sort out the problem.

Unfortunately, the mirena didn't suit me at all and I had almost constant light bleeding and spotting for the entire 9 months it was in! I went back to the gynaecologist who gave me 2 options - ablation or hysterectomy. He said the ablation had around an 80% success rate with hysterectomy obviously being the permanent solution. However, before making my decision I asked
my gp to remove the mirena to see if it made a difference. I then had 3 natural cycles which were much closer together than when I last had natural periods (19-21 days versus 28-30 days). The periods were also very heavy and long lasting. My gp agreed to let me back on the combined pill to lengthen my cycles.

That was nearly a year ago and things have been mostly okay. However, my bleeds have been extremely heavy with clots and flooding and last as long as 11 days! Then, this month I started bleeding and spotting halfway through the pill pack. Some of it has been heavy with enormous clots. I'm now on my withdrawal bleed which is as heavy as ever.

I now accept I need further treatment. I'm tempted to go for the hysterectomy and have done with it all. However, I'm very busy with work and kids and really can't afford to be out of action for 2 months or more. I'm thinking I should try the ablation and, if it doesn't work, at least know hysterectomy was the last resort.

Has anyone had ablation for small fibroids like mine (assuming they are still small as it's 2 years since my hysterocopy). As my womb lining would be removed, would they now be able to take the entire fibroid away with it?

Would be grateful for any advise.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register