Will I Need... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I Need... Will I Need...

Unread 01-22-2004, 11:46 PM
Will I Need...

I am going shopping this week I figure I need

Granny Pants

My last box of pads for any post op goo

Sleeping eye mask

Fun/ Comfortable PJ's

A bed wedge (will go without this one if it's expensive)

Gas X

Citrucel (clear fiber stuff)

Back Scratcher

Nurse gifts

Donut Pillow (will they send me home with one?)

Will I need a belly band after a TVH?

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Just two weeks to go and I know if I am well prepared I will sail through this thing like a pampered princess should.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2004, 05:07 AM
Will I Need...

Hi Rebecca,

You'll need to buy the "donut" pillow - if at all possible, try to have it for your car ride home - even though we live only about 5 minutes or less from the hospital, and my DH very carefully, I felt every little bump in the road (I didn't get a pillow until 2 days after my hyst).

I didn't use a belly band, so I can't tell you if it would have been helpful - I had some swelly belly, but that's because of internal organs being moved around. It's most helpful to those sisters who are having abdominal surgery, and have an incision.

Please be sure to check with your before taking the citrucel or the Gas-X or any other OTC product.

Maybe you've already found and read the Pre-Op Hints and the Post-Op Hints. They are full of great advice that will help you to prepare for your surgery and recovery.

I hope you'll continue to read and to post any questions that you may have - we'll do our best to help.

's
Unread 01-23-2004, 06:25 AM
Will I Need...

There were two things I found VERY helpful - chapstick for the dry lips I had, and a package of hard candy - my throat was sore from the tube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2004, 06:33 AM
Will I Need...

Hi Rebecca,

Sounds like you're getting ready!!

I had a tvh also and didn't need a belly band. I did buy a donut pillow because of the repair work but I haven't used it a whole lot. (Maybe I have too much padding!!!) But they are nice and do come in handy.

You might also get some chapstick...that's what I used most. Also trial size shampoo, rinse, soap, facial stuff, comb.

Don't forget your toothbrush and paste....also panty liners..I've been using these since I got home.

I took a robe and slippers with me but never used the robe as I didnt' do a lot of hall walking. Mostly in my room...to the bathroom!!! They didn't get me up until the 2nd day as I had such a reaction to the general and was sick as a dog.

I also didn't have the gas problems so many have. DH brought home some gas-x stuff but I had him take it back (he's a pharmacist) because I never even opened it.

Best wishes

s
Unread 01-23-2004, 09:07 AM
Will I Need...

Excellent suggestions - I definitely agree with the chap stick and hard candies! My lips were VERY dry, and my mouth tasted horrible - peppermints tasted great, and seemed to settle my stomach a bit, too.

Also, f you have someone who will be waiting in the hospital waiting room while you have your surgery, why not prepare a goodie bag for them? You could include a magazine or book, snacks, change for the vending machines, a card letting them know how much you appreciate them, etc. This could help make a long (and sometimes frightening) wait a little easier!
Unread 01-23-2004, 09:23 AM
Will I Need...

Rececca,

I bought the HUGE economy size of super size pads thinking i was going to need them. I never even opened them. I had a TVH and my discharge was so minimal that panty liners did the trick. I also had the new "thong" shaped pantyliners that worked great.

I think it was last week that i liberated myself of all my grannie pannies.

I found that i craved Jello and anything "wet". I had saltines on my nightstand, not that i was nauseated, but because they were a no brainner kind of food, lol. Does that make sense?

I also stocked the freezer and cabinets with stuff that the boys and DH could make without me. Of course it only took them 3 days to ask "whats for dinner, mom"....i said i dunno, im having jello and crackers,

Jello to me was a lifesaver.

Jen
Unread 01-23-2004, 10:08 AM
Will I Need...

I agree with the other suggestions. The #1 thing for me in the hospital was the chapstick. My lips and mouth were so dry the first day or two. Some have mentioned hard candies which sounds like a great idea. I actually walked to the gift shop and bought a pack of gum which helped keep my mouth moist. Trial size toiletries are great. Don't forget some lotion. The hospital usually has some, but it's not very good. My sister gave me some of the small aromatherapy lotions from Bath & Body. It was a real treat!

For when you get home, bottled water, juice boxes, etc. are handy. (The Capri Sun foil juice pouches are great because you can freeze them and they're slushy). Crackers, soup and popsicles are also good. I got a lot of the Campbell's "Soup at Hand". They're good and convenient because they come in single-serving containers that are microwaveable. You can drink it right out of the container so you don't have to worry about spilling in bed or dirtying any dishes! Also, the little jell-o cups with fruit are good, as is applesauce. You probably won't feel like eating anything too heavy for the first few days.

Good luck with your surgery! It will be over with before you know it!
Unread 01-23-2004, 12:51 PM
Will I Need...

I took little boxes of Jelly Bellys for my nurses. I also bought

Pizza once for the night shift. They do like being appreciated.

It paid off when I found myself back in the castle 2 weeks

later with an abcess. They remembered me and took extra

special care of me. I also took my own shampoo and soap.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register