Scheduled LAVH Upcoming hysterectomy 6/6: Simple put I'm nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 6/6: Simple put I'm nervous Upcoming hysterectomy 6/6: Simple put I'm nervous

Unread 06-03-2018, 08:34 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 6/6: Simple put I'm nervous

So my surgery is scheduled for June 6th & now my nervousness is starting to kick in as the days get closer the more real it becomes. I've had to go to multiple doctor until I found the one that agreed I need a hysterectomy. At this moment I'm trying to figure out what are some essential to pack? Just in case I'm staying over night. With me
being nervous & little scared, I'm not sure how to handle those feelings either. So if anyone can help me with some advice that may help me calm down. It would be so helpful & appreciated.
Thanks, DeeJay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2018, 09:05 AM
Re: Simple put I'm nervous

My best advice is to keep busy! Cleaning is always good. If you have time, try to squeeze in something fun that you enjoy. I was thinking about a hike or a movie, but then I had car trouble, but I've been taking walks to nearby stores, mostly to browse. But active things are the best, and then at the end of the day you're more likely to be able to sleep. You could get a massage. You could schedule something with friends or family... Anything that's going to keep your mind on other things!
Unread 06-03-2018, 10:35 AM

Nervous is normal. For me the anticipation was worse than the actual surgery and recovery, both of which went well. If you are only staying overnight (maybe) you won't really need anything special.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2018, 10:50 AM

I brought my id cards, phone, and a tummy pillow. I was supposed to go home that day, but did not.

Thankfully, the hospital had ice packs, pads, a toothbrush, and popsicles. I was all set!

Don't worry too much about that part.
Unread 06-04-2018, 02:24 AM

loose outfit for trip home. loose underwear,

Check if abdominal binder is provided or recommended - I used for several days then switched to tight tank top.

for after you get home:
stock up on easy meals and snacks. , ice packs, pillows, books, movies,, more loose clothing ( something you are comfortable walking around neighborhood in ) , over the counter medicine for pain/constipation/diarrhea , kleenix, tp, ...

wishes for an easy procedure and speedy recovery
Unread 06-04-2018, 06:11 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 6/6: Simple put I'm nervous

If you will be staying overnight, then I would recommend an eye mask and earplugs for sleeping. Also include some powdered or crystallized ginger for nausea from the anaesthesia, fennel seeds or Gas-X for gas relief, throat lozenges for soreness from the breathing tube, and magnesium-rich dark chocolate to get your bowels moving. My top pick from the drugstore is a psyllium based fibre supllement like Metamucil; it can help with constipation by working with water to hydrate and soften your stools for easier passage; it can also help with diarrhea by absorbing excess water, producimg firmer bowel movements. Other helpful grocery items include peppermint tea, frozen blueberries, oatmeal, and chia seeds. For your home, I would recommend something to elevate your feet while you're on the throne, like a Squatty Potty or a small footstool; this can help to prevent straining by properly aligning the rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly. Other helpful household items include a power bar or extension cord for plugging in your electronics, and a grabber for picking up small objects off the floor. Also check our Hints From Members" forum for more suggestions. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 06-05-2018, 01:42 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 6/6: Simple put I'm nervous

Don’t be nervous!!! It was my one year anniversary a couple of days ago but it felt like yesterday. I would use the free time to make a big pot of soup or a couple of easy meals and do some cleaning. You are not going to feel like doing anything when you get home. I had to stay two nights in the hospital and was in pain and very sick. It eased up though. Remember that Gas X is your friend!!!
Unread 06-05-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJaii View Post
So my surgery is scheduled for June 6th & now my nervousness is starting to kick in as the days get closer the more real it becomes. I've had to go to multiple doctor until I found the one that agreed I need a hysterectomy. At this moment I'm trying to figure out what are some essential to pack? Just in case I'm staying over night. With me
being nervous & little scared, I'm not sure how to handle those feelings either. So if anyone can help me with some advice that may help me calm down. It would be so helpful & appreciated.
Thanks, DeeJay
Hey DeeJaii, you're not too far from me, I'm outside of Beaumont.
Anyhow, I learned that I mainly stayed bottomless in the hospital, in one of those lovely hospital gowns. I didn't even wear my slippers as I had those little slipper socks they give you on.
I would say bring:
Chapstick
a pillow- like a travel pillow. It is great for sleeping with and wedging between you and the seatbelt on the way home.
hair ties and hair brush/comb
your phone/tablet and a charger with a long cord
something easy to wear home and shoes that slip on. I wore what I came up there in home.

Do make sure you get some panties that are a few sizes bigger than you normally wear for the first little bit at home. The swollen tummy is a real thing. I had to go up about 4 sizes in undies for about a week and a half.

Make up your bed with clean sheets BEFORE you leave for the hospital. That way when you get home you can slide right between those sheets and relax.

Good luck tomorrow, you will do fine. *hugs*
Unread 06-05-2018, 08:35 PM

You will do fine. You can also ask for something to help you with your nerves. I had a friend who works in a hospital tell me to ask for versed. It will help with your nerves. It helped a lot. They gave me it and I do not remember anything till I woke up in the recovery room. I hope everything goes well for you. I had mind done 3 weeks ago.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register