Submucosual Fibroid and Bleeding Help (Children Mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Submucosual Fibroid and Bleeding Help (Children Mentioned) Submucosual Fibroid and Bleeding Help (Children Mentioned)

Unread 03-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Submucosual Fibroid and Bleeding Help (Children Mentioned)

Hi everyone, I'm in my 30s and until the last year my periods were maybe 3 days of pantyliners. I now am having horrid periods lots of bleeding and my cramps are so bad I'm am on bed rest for 3-4 days or more. I had an ultrasound and they found a 2 by 3 cm submucosal fibroid. My dr gave me the options and recommended the fibroid removal through the uterous with the loop wire to cut it. No mentions were made to my uterous being boggy or that the biopsy came back weird or anything.

My question is can the fibroid that size cause so much pain. It is getting worse. I feel like I have stabbing pains now. I am looking at getting it removed, uterine ablation & tie my tubes to stop the bleeding. Can anyone help me out with their experiences or what they have found? Making the decision to have to go other routes if I want to have children was hard enough but I can't continually deal with this type of pain. I think the pain is a lot more chronic than just my period it just amps up then.

I'd love any opinions and suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2008, 09:11 PM

Yes, the small fibroid can cause that much pain. Its not the size but the location that forces the pain. If it were me, I would go with the hysteroscopic myomectomy. That seems to be what your doc is recommending. I had it and its an easy outpatient surgery, no pain afterwards (definitely a few days to recover though.) Unfortunately my fibroid came back but most don't.

I am confused about why you would also have ablation and tubes tied. Because of fear about the pain? If you want to have more kids, I would suggest just the hysteroscopic resection--you can always go back for the ablation if it doesn't solve it. By taking it in steps you can preserve your options. I don't know of any reason why tyingyour tubes would prevent pain or bleeding, but then I am no doctor.

My fibroid did cause cramping and bleeding at various times of the month.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Deb
Unread 03-10-2008, 09:25 PM

Fear of pain and bleeding plus I have addison's disease and my dr said that managing it during pregnancy is tricky and I would be high risk. Also, I had a uterine elivation and my left ligament is tied to my right since my left was torn and could not be fixed. I have no kids. The dr is highly concerned about the risk to me and the baby if I were to have a child and the need to mimic my adrenals during the entire pregnancy not to mention the possible affect of the category C medication I have to take. He is also concerned that the autoimmune-Graves I had, had my thryoid removed that also ran into the addison's that the stress on my body during the time would cause another auto immune disease. I know vicious little circle.

Thank you Deb. I so appreciate it. Were all your fibroids seen on the ultrasound? I have heard some people have unseen fibroids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2008, 09:54 PM

Hi!
I had a small submucosual fibroid and it knocked me flat with each period. I would have had them remove it but it had reached and was pushing the outer wall of the uterus and the doc said it couldn't be removed like yours or I would have done it.

They did find adenomyosis when they did the surgery, so for me, I guess I did the right thing.

As far as the ultrasound I know they seem to be able to see all my fibroids. I had several ultrasounds and the doctors would let me see a monitor. I believe one doc said it looked like a chocolate chip cookie inside. I really couldn't make heads of tails of the ultrasound until they started pointing things out to me.

By the way I also had the ultrasound where you had to drink water so they could see the outside of the uterus.

Hope this helps!
Unread 03-11-2008, 07:55 AM

Hi
The first time they did the internal sonogram ( I think they always do both if they are doing the internal--first the external where you drink water, then you get to empty the bladder and they do the internal)--back in May, they found a fibroid and told me that it might be blocking another fibroid or polyp. In fact it was blocking two polyps. The second time, in December, I don't know, since they took the whole uterus (I have the path report, but it doesn't count the fibroids, and anyway I knew I had others that were not causing problems--those I had had for 16 years at least.) So I think based on position if they can't see all the fibroids they can --at least sometimes--let you iknow that there might be more in there.
Given your health concerns, the other steps do make sense to me. I would definitely still go for the hysteroscopic resection though--keeping your uterus means a much easier recovery and taking it out does open the door to other complications and problems.
Deb
Unread 03-11-2008, 01:37 PM

Deb is right. I imagine there are times you can't see all that is in the uterus. Sorry, I was just thinking of mine and all my fibroids were of the smaller nature but I can see where some could obscure the doctor's vision. I wasn't thinking of all problems that could exist.

I do agree with Deb on the steps to take.

My friend swears by the Novasure which she had a few years ago. I used to get jealous hearing how wonderful it was to not have periods.

Good luck.
Lizzy
Unread 03-12-2008, 07:13 PM

I am waiting to get my exact surgery date but I am having laporascopic (to check things out and another dr will be watching with it to make sure he doesn't resect too much), D&C, Fibroid Resection, Ablation & tubes tied. Phew. I'm hoping this all goes really smooth. I'm nervous.
Unread 03-13-2008, 12:27 PM

Things aren't going well, I was told from the nurse she wasn't sure he could do all this in one surgery. I'm considering the LSH if he wants to do my surgery in segments.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register