Scheduled LAVH Having husband at hospital overnight after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having husband at hospital overnight after surgery? Having husband at hospital overnight after surgery?

Unread 07-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Having husband at hospital overnight after surgery?

My husband was asking me if I wanted him to stay at the hospital with me post-LAVH (one-night stay expected).

I don't know what to say. Will I be out of it so it's not necessary for him to disrupt his night? Will I be wracked with pain and maybe I want to spare him that sight/experience?

I like to be with him when I'm scared about something. I was delighted, for example, when I found out he could sit with me in the pre-op area before the D&C. They let him stay right up until the bed-rolling journey to the OR. When I had foot surgery, I had to go back to the pre-op area and wait alone. That was much more stressful.

I also don't want to embarrass myself by having an audience for any things that might happen that I may want to keep to myself, or keep between just me and a nurse.

Oh, the pre-op thoughts: theater of the mind! Off and running again, I see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Re: Having husband at hospital overnight after surgery?

Hospitals slightly differ on policy about all that stuff. Plus everyone is very different. I personally don't want anyone with me at night in a hospital unless I were to be really bad off, or even going back to a pre op area with me. I have no idea why. I just weird out in general in these "lack of control" situations.
Think about what you wish to happen and ask. Best of luck!
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:02 AM

My hubby stayed with me overnight..and first thought it wasn't necessary but in retrospect so glad he was there. It was comforting. I was not happy with the nursing staff. They were cold and matter of fact. "0h you are no different than anyone else who had this surgery. They all feel the same". Cold very cold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2013, 09:06 AM

My hubby stayed with me. Let me tell you, it was nice to have him there... but I made his night miserable. I was in quite a bit of pain and kept waking up, moving, etc... He finally went home around six am to get some sleep. Keep in mind this is a hard surgery, and having those people there to help are a godsend.
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:38 AM

Do what you feel is best. I didn't even stay at the hospital after my surgery because I was doing so well. If I was going to stay I wanted my husband there because I don't like hospitals. What ever is going to make you comfortable and sounds like your husband wants you to as well.
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:04 AM

Just had my hysterectomy yesterday. Hubby stayed the night. It was nice having that time and the nurses were great. My only sad part was I kept waking like every 2 hours waking him not that he slept well either the recliner/ bed was really uncomfortable. He left around 8. Just after the doctor visited so he could get a shower and check on things at home. He's on his way back now to pick me up so I can go home. Yay!
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:08 AM

I recommend leaving the option open, if you don't mind him staying. If I had stayed overnight, my husband would have wanted to stay with me (and I would have wanted him home in bed getting rest so he could help me when I needed it after going home.)

Because my original plan was not to spend the night, we were in an outpatient area and there really would have been no comfortable place for him. Since you are already planning overnight, that may be different.
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:41 AM

My boyfriend stayed with me and I'm very glad he did. It was comforting for me. It may have been hard on him but I'm glad he made the sacrifice and was there for me.

He can always step out of the room if there is something you don't want him there for.
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:01 PM

After my TAH my I had to stay for two nights. My hubby stayed with me the first night and I was so grateful. I just don't like hospitals. He didn't sleep very well but didn't complain much haha The second night my DIL stayed the night and was glad to have her there too. She gave hubby a break cus I would have wanted him to stay that night too!

Anyway, I would leave the option open and see how you feel then! Good luck!
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:14 PM

Thanks for all the replies! They really help!

And a more general comment: this list has helped keep me from going off the deep end with anxiety. Thanks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register