Did you go public about your surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hyster Sisters Extras and Add-Ons > The Polling and Petition Place

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did you go public about your surgery? Did you go public about your surgery?

Unread 05-22-2019, 08:14 AM
Re: Did you go public about your surgery?

Your post made me smile. I love the defiance in your attitude. What a warrior! Isn't it amazing how much easier it is to fight when you have a tribe rallying for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2019, 08:35 AM

When the whole “tribe” is helping, you aren't a burden to any one person.
Unread 05-22-2019, 10:20 AM
Did you go public about your surgery?

Yes, anyone who knows me knows I had a hysterectomy. It’s an organ. No different just bc it’s a female organ. It was major surgery and I was going through a lot so I definitely made it known. Being all secretive about it needs to be in the past.
Unread 05-22-2019, 10:22 AM

I'm open about it. I grew up not knowing anything about how a woman's body works, much less about what happens as we age and/or potential problems. I've had to educate myself, so I figured the more information out there for future generations the better!
Unread 05-22-2019, 03:55 PM

I decided to throw a going away party for my uterus. I invited a handful of my close female friends to have brunch the weekend before my surgery. I found a local bakery to custom make cookies with a uterus and different slogans on each one ... “see ya later ovulator” “no more cramping my style” “monthly subscription canceled”. My friends gifted me with a plush stuffed pink uterus to take to the hospital with me and some other goodies. We posted the brunch pics on FB and I had an overwhelming response of support. My tribe of female friends pulled through and helped me with most of my recovery. My husband was by my side for the 1st ten days and then he had to leave on a 3 week business trip (my total hysterectomy was on the urgent side) no time to prepare. It might have to do with the fact that I’m 50 and way more outspoken now as opposed to how I was in my 30’s. I wanted to surround myself with love, light, and laughter heading in to my procedure. It worked!
Unread 05-22-2019, 08:05 PM

You are so creative! I love this idea! I’m 40 (39) at the time of my surgery & people were like omg are you ok, what happened?! And I’m like, I’m not having kids & don’t need this thing and all the problems it’s caused me.
Unread 06-20-2019, 10:28 AM

Yesssssss!!! I posted just before my surgery, to give myself time and attention before the procedure. I've been pretty public since with posts and videos. I want other women to feel less isolated than I did when making this decision. I'm in my 30s, but have experienced a lot of prior health stuff...I was ready to go a different route this time around. I think being connected has helped with the emotional aspect of my recovery. I feel supported.
Unread 07-02-2019, 03:17 AM

I didn’t post on Facebook - i don’t use Facebook a lot to share personal content and I have ethical issues with it as a platform - but I’ve been pretty open.

My mom was surprised at how many people in my life knew about the surgery, but whatever.

A couple of my closest friends at work are 60 year old men, and I told both of them. The meds I was on for the past half year also pushed me into menopause and had some scary sounding side effects, so I told both these guys about that to give them a heads up. I trust them both implicitly. I told the female partner at work, plus most of the women in the office, and I have no issue telling any of my friends.

When I get the “oh you’ll change your mind about kids” thing - which I do, all the time - I plan to tell those people. Directly. I don’t care if they know, and I don’t think my hysterectomy is shameful, and to be frank I hope they feel uncomfortable since the condescension in that statement is so exhausting and I am so over it.

Also - I’m 35. It’s amazing how much less I care about what people think of me now than I did 10 or even 5 years ago. I am who I am.
Unread 07-02-2019, 07:44 AM

I've actually told a lot of people about my surgery and my infertility. The reason being if I can help anyone I want to help them. If I had someone I could ask question to when I was going through my infertility treatments I would have loved it. But I felt so alone. Now that I had my hysterectomy I am also vocal about that because I want to help people that might need to have 1. I now know many people who have had 1 (Wish I knew them before the surgery lol) and know 3 people who are thinking of having 1. All 3 of them have been asking me questions about mine. So I'm very happy that I opened up about mine.
Unread 07-23-2019, 05:02 AM

Im 39 i have always been open even as a teen never really cared if others did not like it that was their issue so for me i work is sales i talk to customers and people i dont know when i would be in pain or needed to sit at work i told them why that i have cancer and that i was having a hysterectomy. I never got negative responses i actually ran into one lady who had simalar prevous and current surgeries i had or was going to have and it put my mind at ease to talk to others and saying the word cancer helped me get past the shock of it

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register