Upcoming hysterectomy 8/23: What pain medicine do they send you home with? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 8/23: What pain medicine do they send you home with? Upcoming hysterectomy 8/23: What pain medicine do they send you home with?

Unread 07-30-2018, 10:36 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 8/23: What pain medicine do they send you home with?

My surgery is scheduled for Aug 23, and I’m so scared. I have endometriosis (had surgery for that two years ago but it came back with a vengence); fibroids; and a 2cm cyst on my right ovary. Last time I had surgery, he took my left ovary and Fallopian tubes and send me home with a lot of codine. This time he’s worried about the opioid epidemic, and all he’s given me so far is ibuprofen. I am in A LOT of pain now and I’m really scared about how bad it will be later. What are y’all getting for pain post surgery? I’m not a drug seeker. I actually hate the way the pills give me a headache and terrible dreams. But I also need to be able to function. This is all giving me major anxiety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2018, 06:16 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 8/23: What pain medicine do they send you home with?

Hi Starseed,
My hospital sent me home with 20 tablets of Norco, and Motrin. I found that not long after surgery I was in less pain than I was pre op. I'm small, and found a half of a Norco controlled my pain, and after 4 days I was able to just take Motrin as needed. Everyone is different. I had divinci robotic surgery and had 4 incisions. The incisions did not cause too much pain, and internal pain was manageable by day 4-5. Wishing you well, and a speedy recovery
Unread 07-31-2018, 08:21 AM

I had abdominal surgery, which came with a 3-day hospital stay. I was on Dilaudid for the first two days after surgery. By the third day I was doing fine on ibuprofen alone, so I was sent home without any prescriptions, just instructions to take OTC ibuprofen and acetaminophen as necessary. I took 400 mg ibuprofen regularly for about a week, then occasionally for a second week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2018, 01:27 PM

I had TLH and was given 600 mg of ibuprofen and Tylenol. I had no pain. My periods were worse. I stopped them three days after my surgery.
Unread 07-31-2018, 01:34 PM

I had an abdominal with a 2 night hospital stay. Once the epidural came out early the 1st morning the hospital only gave me tylenol, that was all I needed. I could have had stronger but didn't need it. I was sent home with a prescription for toradol but didn't take any, extra strength ibuprofen was enough. By the middle of second week I needed nothing but I had an easy complication free recovery. There is no telling how much or how little pain you will be in until the actual surgery.
Unread 08-01-2018, 09:28 PM

I was given Dilaudid before I was sent home same day, and a prescription for OxyContin and 800mg ibuprofen. I only needed the oxy for one day, then everything was/has been manageable with the ibuprofen. But I definitely needed that oxy for the 1st day at home, even though I don’t like taking strong narcotics at all.
Unread 08-03-2018, 05:05 AM

I have prescriptions for gabapentin, tramadol, and then was told to add aleve and tylenol. They have me rotating meds for 7 days and then that's it. This combo is working well and they said if I want to drop the tramadol, I can try that.
Unread 08-04-2018, 07:27 AM

My surgery isn’t until 8/16 but my doc already gave me my prescription so I wouldn’t have to stop to a pharmacy on my way home after surgery. I’ve gotten it filled and ready for afterwards. He gave me Anaprox and Dialudid. Dialudid is a narcotic. In 2008 after my open Myomectomy I remember only using the narcotic twice and i used the Anaprox for a few days. I didn’t finish the bottles on any of the medicines so you won’t need them for long. I had these same medicines for my surgery 10 years ago and Since i knew I didn’t have any problems with those medicines i requested them again for this surgery.
Unread 08-06-2018, 12:56 PM

Hi! I was sent home withTramadol, which I was instructed to take along with Advil. Was down to just Advil after a week or so, down to no meds at all by week 3. Just keep taking what the doctor tells you take before you're in pain. It's easier to prevent the pain signals than to stop ones that have already been sent. For most of us, it's not nearly as bad as what we're picturing/fearing. Good luck!
Unread 08-06-2018, 07:11 PM

My surgery is August 23rd too. My dr told me he'd give me percocet. I don't like taking pills either and he said he can reevaluate before I go home to see what I want.
Hugs to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register