Pre op tomorrow | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre op tomorrow Pre op tomorrow

Unread 02-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Pre op tomorrow

Hello! My pre op is tomorrow and wondered if someone could fill me in on what to expect? It's been quite awhile since I've had one and can't remember a thing. I meet with my dr. first at 1:30 for prescriptions, etc then to the hospital after. If anyone could tell me anything it would help, I hate wondering!!!! WIll I be having another pelvic? Xrays of any kind? Or is it just the questions on allergies, etc? Trying to figure out how long I'll be as I have calling hours later tomorrow as well.
THANKS!
Andrea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Pre op tomorrow

Each dr and each hospital has a different approach for pre op so I can not specifically tell you what all will be done for your appointments or how long it will take. You may be able to call first thing in the morning and ask your dr's nurse for specifics.

I know I had to have labs done at the hospital as part of my pre op. You may wish to click on the Pre Op tab at the top, center of your screen, where we do have some information.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 02-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Pre op tomorrow

Hi Andrea. I had 2 pre-op appts. one was with my Dr. on Jan. 25th. That consisted of having all of my questions answered for example how long surgery would be, would I have a catheter?...Etc. she also felt my abdomen and listened to my lungs. That appt. lasted for about 30-40 mins. (I had a lot of questions!!) I went to the hospital on Jan. 31st for pre-op testing. For me that consisted of allergy questions, prior surgery questions and blood tests. I didn't have any x-rays, nor did I have an EKG done. That probably lasted about 45 minutes max. I hopes this helps you a bit.
You will be in my thoughts and prayers as your date draws closer.

Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Pre op tomorrow

Hey Andreah,

It was nothing to worry about. They took my history (again) then they passed me off to the lab where they took two small vials of blood and an ekg, then off to x ray and then I met with the anesthetists who looked in my mouth and down my throat, we talked about my fears and he asked some questions, then I was done.

I did receive a call back about my x rays, they found a spot and it scared me to death, but it was just scar tissue from a previous case of pneumonia. I am glad they pay so much attention to detail, it made me feel better.

Hang in there, it seems the worry makes things 10x worse than they really are.

Peace to you on your journey!
Unread 02-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Pre op tomorrow

Hi Andrea,
Depending on your age and health you will have some lab and possibly CXR and or EKG done. You may meet the anesthesiologist or your surgeon to go over things and get registered for the surgery. That way on the day of surgery basically all you need to do is show up. My pre-op took 1 1/2 hours and also included some patient teaching with the nurse. Don't forget to tell them in admitting if you want a private room. I remember feeling so much more at ease following my pre-op. Best wishes....you will have this all behind you in no time. Waiting is the worst part!
Unread 02-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Pre op tomorrow

Thanks guys, I've had pre ops before but was drawing a blank. At least I have an idea of what's going on, I'm glad I have both appt's on the same day to get it over with. My dr. has already answered most of my questions thanfully but I still have a few I gathered from here like when can I take a bath (with or without bubbles) and stuff like that. Wow, the date is getting close, starting to sink in that's it really going to happen.
Unread 02-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Pre op tomorrow

Hey andreah my first pre-op is tomorrow as well. Wow it is getting close now. Starting to pack my bag, went and bought some cool fuzzy socks tonite hey ya know it's the little things that matter, after all they do match the new robe I bought. I love any excuse to shop ha ha.
Unread 02-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Pre op tomorrow

I'm sorry but I can't answer you. I do not have a pre-op appt. I arrive at the hospital at 7 and surgery is at 9. Maybe that's my pre-op. I did see my gyno for the first time Thursday and he did the tests. I have been in terrible pain from a torsioned ovary so maybe he didn't require a pre-op *confused*
Unread 02-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Pre op tomorrow

Hi, I have my pre-op on Tuesday with my family Dr, and then the Pre-admin clinic on Thursday at the hospital. Wished I could have had them on the same day, oh well. I'm just starting to write some of my questions down. I don't have that many so far (maybe thats a good thing??) hopefully I will think of more before my appts.

Thanks,
Joanne
Unread 02-06-2006, 05:18 AM
Pre op tomorrow

Hey scf! I'm wearing fuzzy socks too! They are awesome, I have tons of them as they're really warm and toasty. I'm hoping they might let me wear them for the surgery. I don't have to pack a bag because I will be going home the same day unless there's complications. I guess maybe I should have an emergency bag anyways!
Melsy, sounds like you already had your pre op on Thursday so I wouldn't worry. Every dr. is different that's for sure. I'm hoping mine doesn't make me go thru the chest xray and all that...I'm a healthy person (except for my pelvic region!) and see a dr. regularly, but I'll do what he says, he's the boss!
Hi JR...I don't have many questions to ask either. To be honest, most of my questions were answered on this site by women who know! I'm so glad of that.
I find out today my arrival time but have been given an idea already...on Friday I need to arrive at either 5 or 5:30 am and my surgery is 7:30 am. Yay! Hope to be feeling well by afternoon and getting ready to go home. One can only hope!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register