Magnesium citrate - 3 bottles?!!! - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Magnesium citrate - 3 bottles?!!! Magnesium citrate - 3 bottles?!!!

Unread 06-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Magnesium citrate - 3 bottles?!!!

Hang in there, Seraphina! We don't want to scare you! I'll send a post later today to let you know how the prep went. I also have to take the flagyl and neomycin, so we're pretty similar in terms of prep (I only have to do the enema if the citrate doesn't do the trick). Beet - is Pico Salax available in the US? That is supposed to be just as good and I understand it tastes good also. I'll have to go with what the doc prescribed, but that is a good suggestion for other sisters who have access.

Again, thanks everyone - I feel much better (at least until about noon today..).

Renee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2007, 08:52 AM

I was told to drink one bottle and take delcolax. But I could not eat anything but soft colorless foods two days out and clear broth the day before. Needless to say I was really cleaned out. I think that the 3 bottles is too much but your doctor may have a reason for telling you to drink that much. You need to ask him.
Unread 06-06-2007, 09:06 AM

Hi Renee!
I wish you the best of luck with you tomorrow (and with your bowel prep today). I will definitely keep you in my prayers! Good luck and keep us posted!

Hugs,
Kristy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2007, 01:26 PM

I am scheduled for a LAVH Tuesday June 12 and I have to do the Magnesium citrate Monday. For those who have taken this, how long did it take to take affect and how long did it last? The castle I am going to visit is about 85 miles away. I have to be there at 5:30am, so rather us waking up and leaving so early, we were going to stay in a hotel that is right there next door to the castle. So, long story short, I would really rather not go and "do the deed" in the hotel all night and would rather maybe drink it early and hopefully be done around 6pm and leave then. I hope this make sense!
Unread 06-06-2007, 02:01 PM
magnesium citrate

For me the magnesium citrate kicked in pretty quick. I would say about 2 hours after I took it. I had to drink it at 5:00 p.m. the night before surgery. I went to the bathroom all night and into the morning even after I arrived at the hospital. And this was with nothing in my stomoch except for clear liquids. But everyone is different.
Good luck to you on your surgery. I pray that everything goes well.
Unread 06-06-2007, 03:04 PM

I drank the mag citrate at 5 pm. It started working at 6 pm and it worked all night and into the next morning. All that I had eaten that day was a yogurt, half a peanut butter sandwich at lunch and chicken broth for dinner and the rest clear beverages and water.
Unread 06-06-2007, 06:02 PM

I drank the first bottle of magnesium citrate at 12:00 and the second at 4:00 (an hour ago). The first kicked in after 2 hours. Really, it is not all that bad. I chugged it down and drank 32 oz of Gatorade, and am on my 2nd 32 oz bottle now - I don't want to get dehydrated. I'm on clear fluids all day, and ate light yesterday. Tomorrow I go to the castle, and I really look forward to being done with all this! But - really, the anticipation of all this prep has been worse than reality so far!

Hi Sameasy! Nice to hear from you again - are you doing okay?

Renee
Unread 06-06-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foursister
Yikes! At my pre-op my doc said to drink a liquid diet the day before surgery, and to drink 3 bottles of magnesium citrate for bowel prep! This didn't scare me until I started looking around on this site and I haven't seen anyone else told to drink that much. Any advice other than chill and use a straw - and follow with gatorade and other liquids? Maybe I should start the liquid diet two days before surgery to make this easier? Should I pace myself or try to down all three bottles in a couple of hours? My doc didn't give any instructions. He also said to use an enema if it looks like the magnesium citrate didn't do the "whole" job. How the heck will I know?

Sorry for the long post - do any sisters have some advice?

Thanks!

Renee
Renee,

I haven't read everyone else's post yet, so I apologize if I repeat others' advice. I had to have a colonoscopy back in Feb and they gave me a GALLON of that stuff to drink... talk about shocked! Not only did I have to drink that but I had to take 4 laxatives and a supository an hour before the procedure. Not to be funny (and yet it is funny ) but I literally sat on the toilet the whole evening... to pass the time, I sat with a poster frame on my lap and I worked on a puzzle.

My mom had a great laugh about it and now she wants the puzzle LOL

Each doc seems to have their own preferences with the bowl prep stuff. Mine told me to buy ONE kit, but then I was told that I would have to also check with the hospital for their requirements too. SIGH.

Anyhow, as far as suggestions... it definitely is easier to drink ice cold... I put powdered crystal light lemonade in mine and it helped tremendously!!! Some can handle chuggin it... I had to sip it... my DH would rotate two glasses... I would start to drink one and it would warm up and he'd take it back to the fridge and bring me the other one... I basically was constantly sipping it... and as far as knowing when you're done... trust me you'll know it will literally feel like you are urinating instead of having a BM. Sorry if any of my post was TMI best of luck
Unread 06-06-2007, 06:31 PM

Renee, just wanted to check in on you and see if you're still hanging in there ok?!?! Hope it's not too bad for you! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow! HUGS!!! starting to think if the dr changes orders I'm going to need to move the computer to the bathroom.. heehehe
Unread 06-06-2007, 06:41 PM

I had to drink two bottles of it, in addition to two fleet enemas and the liquid diet. I didn't use a straw because I feel that drinking through straws makes me suck more air which gives me gas (I had little to no gas after surgery). I just chugged those puppies. The first few sips were bad, so I decided I didn't want to taste it, so chugging it worked for me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register