can't decide | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-20-2007, 11:32 PM
can't decide

Well, here I am, 2 weeks before my surgery, and I am having second thoughts. Both drs. I consulted said a TAH was needed, but after reading many of the posts on this website, I'm not so sure.

First, I don't have very much pain - I do have lots of bleeding the first few days of my period, and then it can drag on for almost two weeks ( which is a pain in the neck!), but nothing like most of you report.

My real complaint is my feelings of lethargy and weariness. I worry, tho, that this could have another cause which the surgery would not correct. I have had my hormone levels checked with a blood test, but wonder if they could be incorrect. Also, I live under an unusual amount of stress and am wondering if I could be in a depression.

Now, I DO have symptoms that indicate a TAH would be necessary - VERY enlarged uterus, two growths larger than a fist, one about the size of an orange - and they haven't found my ovaries, so don't know what's on them. My oldest daughter is concerned that we don't know FOR SURE that these growths are fibroids (I had a niece die this year from cancer that was originally thought to be just a cyst on her ovary), but is that enough reason to go thru a TAH?

Sorry this is so long, but I really need some definitive way to make this decision. The dr is being very good not to influence me either way, he realizes he stands to gain if I have the surgery. If you can shed some light on all this, I would be very thankful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2007, 11:48 PM
can't decide

I had NO symptoms, and turned out to have an 18 weeks uterus, with the fibroid cutting off almost all the drainage from my left kidney. I had to have a urinary stent put in before my surgery.

With all the bleeding you have you may be anemic and feel depressed. All the growths are using nourishment from the food you eat and any vitamins you take, so your own body is lacking.

Almost three weeks of bleeding dragging on is so NOT normal.

My opinion only - not just your doctor, but YOU have something to gain by having the surgery.

Better health. Perfect health? Not right away...but I think most of the problems you describe will be taken care of. Anything else will be much easier to deal with once the hyst is done.

Whether they are fibroids or cancer - they will keep growing. And growing.

So if you need pain to help you make a decision, just wait. It'll happen.

My opinion only.
Unread 10-20-2007, 11:55 PM
can't decide

Hello There:

I'm no expert, but I too don't have any pain. I have the usual cramps and very heavy bleeding days 2-5. Some cycles it's worse and some are "normal." On my worst cycles, I could easily go through 2 max packs of pads but still without pain. Heavy, heavy bleeding with an extreme sense of being tired and constantly running to the bathroom.

I too, have an enlarged uterus (3x the size it should be) and fibroids and polyps in the uterine lining. I had a hysteroscopy 4 years ago to remove the fibroids and polyps inside the uterus, but now they're in the lining as well. I was bleeding from May-October and was on 3 birth control pills per day for 3 months to lessen the bleeding. The bleeding was still there. We "thought" the hysteroscopy would help and it did, but it wasn't 100% and now I am facing a SAH because the same issues returned. I am very nervous and scared, but also excited and anxious at the same time. The continuous bleeding is such a bother and I can never be too far from a restroom. I have spotting here and there and bleeding after being intimate with my husband. This cannot be normal. I am looking forward to the surgery to begin a new chapter in my life and be released from this. I don't think surgery is bad whatsoever and am welcoming it completely.

You need to weigh the pros and cons and from what you have typed, I would think that to avoid risk you wouldn't doubt the surgery. Everyone is different and I can only speak for myself. Sometimes I feel that too much information isn't good and may pose "worry" in me that I wouldn't have if I didn't know about this site. On the other hand, the posts from other women have helped me beyond belief. All of us are different but there are a few ladies that are just like me and it's great to know I'm not alone and going nuts.

This is what I think: the only way your doctor can see what your ovaries look like is to have the surgery. The removal of your uterus will stop the bleeding all together. You didn't mention how old you are - have others told you you're too young? Have you had an internal pelvic ulstrasound? Have you had saline injected into your uterus to help the surgeon see what's going on internally? My doctor's can't feel my ovaries with an exam either so the ultrasound is a must.

I hope I have been a little help and sorry to ramble on and on. Everyone here is so nice and always willing to listen. It's a tough decision that lies ahead of you, but you and only you can choose what's best for you.

Keep me posted and best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2007, 12:01 AM
can't decide

just a question.Im getting ready for surgery and right now my pain is immense.I bleed for 2 to 3 weeks at a time.When I went in for my check up the doc said he couldnt find my uterus.I havent had my ultra sound yet but just what does that mean?
Unread 10-21-2007, 12:20 AM
can't decide

TamaraJo:

Do you have endometriosis? I have had bladder issues but thought it was because of my diabetes. Found out at my preop that the enlarged uterus has shifted the bladder around. Also, when I had exams, the ovaries were difficult to find. Maybe your uterus has shifted??? I don't know... I know the last 3 times I was in for a pap smear (yes, I had to have 3 this within the past 2 months because of invalid readings - ugh), the doctors were probing around and around and I'm like "hey, what's going on down there." The doc's never said they couldn't find my uterus, but it was difficult to locate and I think things have shifted a bit.

Does this help? I know it sounds funny - but I try to put humor into most things.
Unread 10-21-2007, 07:52 AM
can't decide

I too had doubts as my surgery date got close, and I would convince myself that I was feeling better, that my symptoms were not as bad as others describe, maybe i should wait, etc. I think this is all perfectly normal. You obviously have problems inside your uterus, and very likely this is causing your fatigue and depression. Also, it is more difficult ot deal with stress when you are in physical pain. I did not have excessive bleeding, but due to adenomyosis and fibroids, my uterus was very enlarged,I had horrible menstrual pain, and ran to the bathroon constantly due to pressure on the bladder. I avoided surgery until things got so bad I was in pain all month, and while part of me wanted the surgery, I still had doubts. I can tell you that 100% of my pain was resolved by the surgery, and I don't regret it. However, if you feel uneasy, just confess to the doctor that you need some reassurance as to why the operation is necessary and if there is an alternative. I think we all have doubts, up to the last minute. Good luck to you!
Unread 10-21-2007, 08:03 AM
can't decide

We all have doubts and want to be convinced that we are doing the right thing. It can be quite an emotional rollercoaster.

When I felt that way, I wrote all my concerns/questions down and sat down with my doctor and told her. She explained 99% of them away........and made me feel so much better about my decision.

Have you thought about getting another opinion? Sometimes that helps too. I would not do anything until you are sure. You can always reschedule, but once you have the hyst, there is no going back.

Hope you can find peace with your decision, whatever it ends up being.

Christine
Unread 10-21-2007, 08:23 AM
can't decide

Hi 4ever

Since you've already gotten two concurring opinions it sounds like the prognosis is medically necessary. I know how scary it is. We've all been there, and it's perfectly normal to second guess yourself. Growths, no matter what they are, are not part of our normal anatomy. In my opinion it's best to have them removed.

Since they're having trouble finding your ovaries, it's probably best that they have a good look in there to see what's going on. The best view is through the abdomen. The sooner they get in there, the sooner you'll know what's going on, and be able to put your mind at ease.

I'm six months post-op and haven't felt this good in years. It's the best thing I could have ever done for myself. I'm praying you'll find peace and that the next couple of weeks go by quickly for you. Good luck!

Tracy
Unread 10-21-2007, 10:10 AM
can't decide

I know how you fell 4ever4u - I am in the same place! Even though I can clearly see on my ultrasound that things are NOT normal, I am in no pain and I feel great. When I come here and read the extreme issues people have had, I second guess this decision. What I have been telling myself is that because I feel SO great, maybe I will recover extra fast and I AM desperate to get rid of my daily bleeding issues (my issues are not heavy bleeding, just relentless light bleeding as in it NEVER goes away), so those WILL be gone. So far that has kept my sanity and kept me from backing out. My TVH is scheduled for Nov 6th so it's getting closer. Yikes!

Hugs, hang in there,
Starbgirl
Unread 10-21-2007, 01:12 PM
can't decide

Let me just tell you a little about my story and see if this helps you decide for yourself:

6 yrs. ago I came face to face with the conclusion I had lots of little fibroids (I was a forrest) and heavy bleeding two weeks on and two weeks off. No pain. I was so tired. I was put on progesterone and wellbutrin for depression caused by a hormonal imbalance for one year. I started to emotionally feel better but my physical symptoms did not change. I was given the option of a hyst, or they could try an endometrial ablation to see if that would help the bleeding. I was so tired, but labs didn't show I was anemic. I was too scared and thought I was way too young for a hyst. I opted for the ablation.
Wow, after recovering for 4 days I felt better. Still had a bloated feeling, but my periods became 3 days a month and pretty light and on time. I liked it- it worked.

4 yrs after having the ablation I started having irregular bleeding again, spotting throughout the month, frequent urinatin, bloating, just overall tiredness. I have a new doc, and he did the exam, did an endometrial bx, sent me for an ultrasound. Now I was dx with a very large uterine mass, cysts, and possibly more, but the mass takes up too much room to see. I am now having a LAVH that could turn into a TAH.

You see, in my part this was inevitable. I was going to have a hyst whether it was 5 yrs ago, or now. My feeling is if the doc's say you're ready for a hyst physically, you need to be mentally ready for it. Alot of symptoms can be relieved after a hyst, but if you're not mentally ready, you need to way the pros and cons. Talk to family and get their opinions. For me it was my age, I was only 25 when they said I should have one. I'm now 31, and am so ready for it. I want to feel better. I'm tired of this "alien" sucking all of my energy.

I hope you get the clarity you need and decide what is best for you. Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register