Nervous about upcoming 10/29 hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous about upcoming 10/29 hysterectomy Nervous about upcoming 10/29 hysterectomy

Unread 10-20-2020, 10:16 AM
Nervous about upcoming 10/29 hysterectomy

Really nervous about upcoming TVH on 10/29. Fibroids and ovarian cyst. Lots of heavy bleeding and clots for 47 of the past 65 days. At this point, I am ready for it to be here. Struggling with mood swings and nerves. Have 6 kids at home so a bit concerned about being able to rest even though most of them are older. Any tips or hints to have things ready for recovery, specifically regarding meals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2020, 12:57 PM
Re: Nervous about upcoming 10/29 hysterectomy

HI, I'm nervous about mine too, mine is on the 26th , I printed out recipes for my teenage daughter (she wanted to help with cooking) and did an online grocery order for pickup so I could be some what prepared . I also bought paper plates and plastic forks to help with to many dishes. hope all goes well for you and a speedy recovery!!!!
Unread 10-20-2020, 03:43 PM

make some meals ahead of time and freeze them so it's easy to just heat them up. soups freeze well too. if you don't feel well enough to shop afterwards, you can order online at most stores and pick up or have them delivered to your house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2020, 06:49 PM

Besides loading up your freezer with microwaveable meals and figuring out delivery options for your family, consider getting some applesauce or pudding cups for yourself- like the kind for lunch boxes. Many women are on round the clock meds the first few days and some of those meds need to be taken with food. Having an apple sauce and spoon on the nightstand with your meds is great for when you wake up in the middle of the night and need to take your meds or when you just don’t feel like getting up.
Everyone is nervous as their surgery date approaches. I think the waiting was almost the worst part, especially the last 3 days when I’d had my COVID test was supposed to quarantine till my surgery date. While I had plenty to keep me busy, there were fewer distractions at home so more time to worry.
I spent my last pre-surgery day changing sheets and setting up my bedroom to be the center of my universe for about a week. Lots of great prep info on this site. Its been such a great resource for me throughout my experience.
Good luck with your procedure!
Unread 10-20-2020, 08:31 PM

Hi $0Tired0110 to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

All of your feelings, fears, emotions and anxieties are completely normal. This is major surgery, and you really need to think in terms of weeks and not days for recovery. You will not be bedridden, but you will need to rest much. You will need help with cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, etc. You will have lifting restrictions - 10 lbs for 6 weeks and 20 lbs for 8 weeks is common. You will be able to do minor items around the house, but much will be left undone - like house cleaning. You will have driving restrictions - 2 weeks is not unusual. Have your kids help as much as they can during recovery.

You do need to prepare your household for your downtime. Here are articles that may provide information:
10 Tips for Preparing for Your Hysterectomy
Feeding Your Family During Hysterectomy Recovery

What I found most useful were the following (I only had DH and no children):
-Meals in the freezer that can be put in the microwave
-Easy foods for breakfasts and lunches
-Loose fitting clothing
-Prepare your recovery corner with pillows and blankets
-Plan entertainment for your brain
-Small pillow to hold against your tummy for coughs and sneezes (or pet visits)
-Super clean your house
-Get your hair cut

Unread 10-22-2020, 03:49 AM

Hi there!

Freaking out over here with you. <3 We got this.

I've been reading some papers on what seems to speed recovery in terms of food. Apparently, our bodies need lots of energy and protein to heal (makes sense, right?) Patients who drink protein drinks seem to heal faster. So, a simple snack for you might be to get some of the silly weight lifter protein powders and milk of choice. It seems you get bonus points for starting a few days before surgery too.

That might both help you and take a bit of pressure off because it's so simple.

Best of luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register