Would like to hear from LAVH Sisters, please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Would like to hear from LAVH Sisters, please Would like to hear from LAVH Sisters, please

Unread 07-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Would like to hear from LAVH Sisters, please

Hey all well its two weeks till my laproscopic vaginally assisted hysterectomy and Im getting nervous and my hubby is driving me crazy about well it shouldnt be that bad its only lapro surgery and I told him yes but its still a hysterectomy and its major surgery for a woman he just doesnt get it and I need to talk to anyone who has had it recently to tell me just how your recovery time was. Im hoping that six weeks will be enough time off from my job as I am a personal support worker and work in a nursing home where there is a lot of heavy lifting procedures even with mechanical lifting devices Im still worried am I going to be ok for going back to work in six weeks time. They are so short staffed and my hubby says you may be surprised how I will be feeling but he doesnt get it that its the internal healing that is the big thing. So between getting stressed out about the date coming up and my hubby on my back I need some reassurance from someone who had it done not to long ago and had a quick and good recovery time.. Im expecting pain for a couple of days the first week tops but after that in time each day gets better and better. Im only 40 in good health and hoping for a quick and healthy safe recovery. Please let me know about your experiences and how long you were in the hospital with the same procedure as I am having. I was told one night two if any compliations and will have a catheter proably inserted during surgery hopefully after Im asleep but when will they take it out the next morning??? Is it just a lot of cramping pain wise or what?? will they want me to pass urine and bowel movement before leaving the hospitla and be able to eat something ok and move around on my own?? What are the rules about being able to leave afte this type of surgery..

HOpe to hear from you all soon with some upbeat replies..Nervous and looking foward to hear from you all soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2007, 12:36 PM

Hello
I had my LAVH in October of 2004 and didn't have any problems... I was back to work in part-time in 12 days and full time within the month... I work in a front office that is very supportive..... My boss waited on me hand and foot, so I wouldn't suggest lifting anything heavy at ALL...... I went under around 7:00 a.m. and was home on my couch by 3:00 p.m. that afternoon and that's with a 40 minute ride home..... Best of luck Rambi
Unread 07-24-2007, 01:41 PM

HI,

I had an LAVH w/removal of uterus and cervix on June 14th, 6 weeks ago. Surgery took about 40 minutes and I was awake and walking later that same day. Stayed overnight in the hospital. I had a bladder catheter and was worried about it, but it wasn't a problem at all and was a good thing since it allowed me to just rest in bed rather than have to get up and down all night to pee! They took is out the next morning. I had my surgery on a Thursday morning and by Wednesday of the next week was off all pain medication and was able to go out for short outings (maybe to lunch for an hour or two) without too much of a problem. Tired out easily and belly swelled but pain wasn't a problem. Only pain I had was on the first day home (Friday) when I swelled up like a balloon. Gas-X and walking helped with that. Also had really bad back pain on the Monday after surgery. Dr.'s nurse said it was from being in bed and the back muscles having to do the work of the stomach muscles while I recovered.

I am 6 weeks post op this week and feel I could go back to work (I'm a 2nd grade teacher) but am glad I have 2 more weeks until I HAVE to go back. New school year doesn't start until August 13th so I have some extra time. You will probably feel okay to work at 6 weeks but I would ask the Dr. about the lifting you might have to do, maybe they could give you a note saying no lifting at that point. My Dr. cleared me at my 6 week appointment for sex and anything else and said he'd see me in a year. When I go back to work on Aug. 13th I plan on having the custodians do anything that involves medium/heavy lifting as I don't want to take the chance of hurting myself at this point. After a long day running errand and driving around town I do get tired and often get the swelly belly. Dr. said this may happen for a few more months so I am expecting it and planning on taking it easy the first month or so back at work.

An LAVH is major surgery and even though you aren't cut from hip to hip there is still lots of healing go on inside. It's easy to forget this when you have minimal incisions and especially when you start to feel good. Plan to take it easy and keep talking w/ your Dr. about what you can and can't do. I was a nervous wreck before my surgery and as I look back at it now really shouldn't have spent so much time worrying, but that is easier said then done. In the end, you will do what you need to do and everything will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2007, 01:59 PM

I had a radical LAVH. The procedure took 3 hours and I was in the hospital for 2 nights. I was completely off of my narcotics before I left the hospital. I still needed ibuprofen for some aches and pains. I had my catheter for 2 weeks and was not able to drive for that same period of time. I have a very strenuous job and my Dr. explained that 6 weeks was when he released his patients for desk work, but that he would not release me for 10-12 weeks and even then I would probably have to do a week or 2 of half days. You will be very tired, more so than you would expect. Your body will tell you when you have done too much so listen and rest. Everyone is different and heals at a different pace. Do not let you DH or anyone else push you into recovering faster than you can. Good luck and lots of
Unread 07-24-2007, 02:21 PM

Hi I am approaching my 2 weeks on Thursday. I had everything removed.
The one thing that bothered me was the DR never explained the 2 small incisions in the pubic area, not the 3 going down from the naval. They were of my most discomfort.
I felt great coming home, but am over doing it as I have 3 very small children and find it hard to NOT do anything..lol I do have help and have put them in daycare during the day so I don't do much during the day. I went out this weekend to Lowes, Lunch at Longhorns, Walmart and Sams club, then home to play with the kids on their play set..IT WAS TOO MUCH!!!!
Our weather has been beautiful and I wanted to take advantage of the no humidity..but I am so utterly beyond tired.
That is the one thing that I have read from many and have heard from those in my life that have had a hyst is that you tire quickly and don't have to do much..IT'S TRUE!!!!
LISTEN to your body. I am not one to stay still for long so I have been vacuuming a little but only on the laminate and with our Dyson(it practically moves itself) so it's not strenuous on me.
I have started a few dinners that were very easy, and changed a couple diapers. But I can tell you there is no way I could give baths yet or even want to unload the dishwasher everyday.
Don't get me wrong I feel great - really..but I am noticing I DO HAVE to rest.
Also I had a pretty severe case of constipation that I feel held up feeling better sooner..so talk to your Dr about that just in case you have this problem afterwards. That way you are prepared.

I have never been happy w/my Dr from day one..so make sure they explain EVERYTHING and answer all your questions
You'll be fine...looking back, waiting was the worst. I am so happy I had it done!!!
Unread 07-24-2007, 03:13 PM

Hi wiseonelv,
I had what I thought would be an LAVH on July 9th, but when I woke up I realized I didn't have any incisions at all on my stomach. Dr. said he didn't need to do this so I only have internal incisions. I had my uterus and cervix removed only. the surgery took about 40 minuetes and I had no catheter which was fine with me. I did need to use the restroom frequently that first night and the nurses were so busy they ended up giving me a portable potty next to my bed ratherr than come help me each time. This was fine too, the getting up was good for me in the long run. I had read so many threads before surgery about gas pains that I was really worried about it. But for me I had no gas pains until several days later and not horrible. My doctor had me do a bowel prep (enima) the night before. This wasn't as bad as I imagined either. He put me on stool softner right away after surgery which caused a BM the following day. I felt like it went really well and the recovery has been ok, I just don't push myself and rest alot. I feel by 6 weeks I would be fine to work but I too think you may need more time regarding lifting. Everyone heals differently and tolerates pain differently. You will be okay but plan on lots of resting!!
Unread 07-24-2007, 03:56 PM

Hi,
I am going into my third week post-op after having a LAVH. Going in, I really didn't know what to expect. Looking back, I had nothing to worry about. Pre-op I was nervous, so my dh asked the anesthesiologist for something to help with with my nerves. I remember being wheeled into the OR, and I remember waking up in recovery. That's it. The only procedure that was done to me pre-op was being hooked up to the leg massagers (to prevent blood clots) and of course, the IV. Everything else was done in the OR. I spent one night in the hospital and had 2 shots of Demerol, probably more precautionary than anything. I felt sore, but the pre-op nurse told me not to wait till it really hurt to ask for pain meds. I took her advice. Once home, the worst effect was the gas pains, in my upper abdomen and shoulders. This is a result of the carbon dioxide gas that they used during the procedure. I took my pain medication to ease that and found that frequent walks, just around the living room, seemed to help with the gas pains. They lasted 2 days. As for any abdominal pain, it was minimal. After the first day home, I didn't take any pain meds, maybe a few tylenol. Honestly, I really feel great and have to remind myself that I had abdominal surgery. My husband is in the Coast Guard and left Sunday as he is living in New Jersey for the next 7 months. I was really worried about being by myself, but I have found that I do really feel ok. I follow the weight restrictions and try not to overexert myself. I know there is healing going on inside somewhere, and I don't want to have any setbacks.
I hope this helps. Will be thinking of you Thursday! It will be ok!

tobeme
Unread 07-24-2007, 05:38 PM

I had my surgery more than 2 months ago now and I feel good! I was in the hospital for one night. They had me up and walking around about 5 hours after the surgery. I had a catheter in which was not a problem. I kept drinking a lot of water to keep the fluids going and to flush the anesthesia out of my system. I think that helped me alot.

I was off work for 30 days. I work in an office with no lifting, but for you please be careful and don't overdo it too early. You want to take the time to heal right, remember that you get only 1 chance at healing right! I had very little pain, only some slight gas pains for a few days but I really tried to keep walking that first week at home just to keep things moving. I'd do laps around the living room and kitchen, up and down the hall. I didn't shop or go out for the first week but then after that, I felt good enough for small shopping trips.

The last 2 weeks or so I was off, I felt good enough to start some new projects that I never had time for and so I started to learn quilting. Happy to say now that I have a new hobby that I can always recall that I started when I was healing.

Best wishes to you,
Unread 07-25-2007, 12:44 AM
lavh

I had a LAVH in Feb with repairs, my surgery was 3 hrs. long. I was in the hospital 2 & 1/2 days. You are having major organs removed from your body & you have lots of internal stitches, I read like 176 stitches. I had a cath for 2 & 1/2 days, I didn't have to have a bm before leaving. I had scheduled 8 wks off work but only took 6. You can't do any heavy lifting, my dr has a 15lb restriction for life, which is impossible!
I only pushed my morphine button 2 x in hospital & came home with motrin & vicadon scripts. I only took the vicadon a couple of times & that was to help me sleep. I did have discomfort but nothing near as bad as my heavy periods, cramping & feeling like everything was going to fall out. I am so glad I had this done. I think if anything hurt really bad it was my first bm on my 5th or 6th day post op!

good luck

mshowdy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register