Will I lose weight after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I lose weight after surgery? Will I lose weight after surgery?

Unread 05-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Will I lose weight after surgery?

I have gained 30 pounds since August 2012 and this is the biggest I have been in my whole life, even when I was pregnant with my 3 children. I'm 25 years old and my hysterectomy is set for June 5th. I have had tests ran on me to find out why I'm gaining so much weight and everything came back normal. Before I had my tubes tied when I was 20 I was 120 then after I went up to 140 then since August I put on 30 pounds and I'm 170. I really think my tubal ligation and the issues in having had to do with the weight in gaining. So I am really hoping I'll shed some weight after recovery. What are some of your experiences with weight lost after surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Re: Will I lose weight after surgery?

I personally did not lose weight, in fact I have been overweight for over 20 years and finally got a handle on it, losing 84 pounds over the last few years. Having surgery and not being able to work out, and not doing all that I could for 6 weeks initially and I put on 12 pounds. I am however now starting to lose it, at 15 weeks out. Every women is different, some have no appetite, others have large fibroids that weigh alot. Just focus on getting healed, that truly is the most important thing.
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:35 AM

Everyone heals differently and while some women report drastic weight losses post op, others are the opposite. You have to take into account what you personally have happening internally.... hormones out of whack can really do a number on weight and fibroids can as well. You also have to take into account activity levels pre and post op, apatite, diet, metabolism,etc. There really are too many factors as well as too much variance between each persons own particular genetics, problems habits, etc. to just generalize and predict if you will gain or lose weight after surgery.

My advice... don't worry about weight for now. Concentrate on healing and once you feel better, then you can get back on track with exercise, etc. and see what the new you can will become.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Will I lose weight after surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by singmeaway View Post
I personally did not lose weight, in fact I have been overweight for over 20 years and finally got a handle on it, losing 84 pounds over the last few years. Having surgery and not being able to work out, and not doing all that I could for 6 weeks initially and I put on 12 pounds. I am however now starting to lose it, at 15 weeks out. Every women is different, some have no appetite, others have large fibroids that weigh alot. Just focus on getting healed, that truly is the most important thing.
Thank you for the advice. I hope I don't put on to much weight after surgery. I can't afford to keep buying more clothes.
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:37 PM

I too had gained weight before my surgery and like you figured it must be hormones and metabolism out of whack. Shortly after my surgery I lost 7 pounds but it slowly began to creep back on. I took the time to heal (at least 6 weeks before starting any exercise, once the Dr. cleared me) took the time to start exercising to see if that would help, but I knew I needed to do something different than what I have been doing. I joined a weight loss program that has worked for me and I have lost 18 pounds and feeling great.

Take time to listen to your body and heal before you do anything else. It all comes together with time, be patient.
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:59 PM

Thanks so much ladies for the advice. I'm going to give my body time to heal after surgery. Then come up with a workout plan and diet for when I get the okay to exercise.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register