2 years of problems | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 years of problems 2 years of problems

Unread 02-03-2005, 02:33 PM
2 years of problems

Hey! I am new on here. Hope someone can help. I had a hystorectomy 08-02 followed by 10 days of bowel obstruction. I was very dehydrated and lost 20 lbs because I couldnt eat during that time. After that I started having the migraines hot flashes etc (incl weight gain). January of this year I had another bowel obstruction due to adhesions.

my husband took me to Mayo Clinic. We both felt like I was on my death bed and no one would listen.

I went from a healthy 37 year old woman running around with her kids and weighing 125lbs for 10 years.

Now my current problem is that I cant lose weight and I have no energy. I have had the flu, mono and pneumonia in the last six months. I am on HRT. I want my kids and my husband to have the "old me" back. I just dont have the energy. All of my blood test show everything is fine.

I wake up tired and sluggish. I now weigh 150lbs and no diet or exercise seems to work.

Any suggestions! Please help!

Thanks, Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2005, 03:18 PM
2 years of problems

Susan:

I am sorry you are having thes issues.

Please tell us if you still have your ovaries and if not, are you on HRT? Also, it sometimes also helps to know why you had the hyst.
Unread 02-03-2005, 04:59 PM
2 years of problems

Hey! I had a partial hyst. in my middle 20's. Had no problems until I was 37. I kept having pelvic pain. From an ultrasound they found a 6lb growth. During surgery it was removed along with my remaining "female parts". It was totally filled with water. Thank God for that.

I have been on HRT since then.

Thanks for your help!

I appreciate any advice you may have!

Susan
Unread 02-04-2005, 05:46 AM
2 years of problems

Susan,

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble! I hope you can find the help you are looking for!

When you had your second surgery (when you were 37) was that when they removed your ovaries? I'm assuming that is when they put you into "surgical menopause"? So now your body has been thrown into a state that usually mother nature takes years to build up to. Maybe the HRT isn't enough to help your body through...I don't know how you feel about this sort of thing - and please please please don't take any offense to this - but have you considered trying anti-depressants? This might help with the being tired and sluggish? Just a thought!

Good luck! Take care!

Cortney
Unread 02-04-2005, 07:44 AM
2 years of problems

Susan,

Wanted to make sure you know about the hormone jungle site. The sisters there are an invaluable resource regarding hormonal issues.

I am not in surgical menopause (still have my ovaries) but have been doing lots of reading on the subject since several doctors advise me having the BSO.

Without knowing what your HRT is, I can say you might want to do some reading on taking testosterone (helps with energy and sex drive) and look into bio-identical hormone replacement. Some women need progesterone and testosterone in addition to the 3 types of estrogen replacement.

Lots more information on this can be found in the resources section or at hormonejungle.com . You may find that printing off research and taking it in to your doc and asking his/her thoughts to be a helpful tactic ... works really well for me (whatever the issue).

Remain hopeful. Just sounds to me like your homone replacement is not quite working for you. Blood tests not necessarily being the best indicator. Try asking for saliva tests which are thought to be a better indicator of the hormonal levels -I forget the technical term for that.

If your gyn won't help, think of getting another opinion and perhaps a referral to an endocrinologist.

In the meantime and I am so glad you found us!
Unread 02-04-2005, 08:20 AM
2 years of problems

Susan, I'm sorry you're so frustrated with these difficulties! Sending you a !

Here's something that might help: many years ago, my Mom had what you describe at about the same point in her life, and after some bloodwork it was discovered that she had an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism). A scrip for a daily thyroid hormone supplement did the trick, her weight was easier to manage and her energy came back. She stayed on the medication for the rest of her life with no ill effects whatsoever.

Maybe you could request that your doctor test your thyroid gland function along with your hormone balance, as the other ladies have suggested. Let us know how you are!

Good luck!

Amoreena
Unread 02-04-2005, 10:14 AM
thyroid?

After reading your post, Galhelp, I had the same thought and question as Amoreena..... What's your thyroid up to?

I, too, had complications with my TAH/BSO (perforated colon, E-coli infections, 45 lbs fluid in abdomen w/abcesses in pelvis at 7 mos post op due to the E-coli infection). I was also gaining weight rapidly (which I have yet to lose) and felt so awful tired. I felt as though I had a case of the flu for months. One day, one of my many physicians drew blood and ran a thyroid panel. I was terribly hypothyroid (TSH 160). I have been on thyroid meds since. Still adjusting the dosage but feel better than I have since the day of my surgery!

Have some do a thyroid panel to rule it in or out. In the meantime, I hope that you begin to feel better. I was 39 and still wonder if my TAH/BSO was worth it. I guess it was but I'm having a difficult time accepting a 45lb weight gain, a fat belly and cellulite. I still don't have the energy I used to but I'm learning that I am a different person and I have to get used to it. The anti-depressant, Lexapro, has also helped me through this.
Unread 02-04-2005, 12:56 PM
2 years of problems

Hi Sue,

Your story sounds just like mine. I had ovaries removed at 37 because my sister had ovarian cancer. I was a runner, lifted weights, worked full-time, was the girl scout leader, skiied and loved life. I immediately got sick after surgery and eventually had to go on disability. I am fatigued all the time, in fact ready to collapse. I was very thin at 128, 5'7. Now I am 150 and can't lose any weight. I feel like I have the flu. I have been diagnosed with Chronic fatigue, Fibromyalgia, back pain, Depression, Anxiety Disorder and the list goes on. I have been in the psych hospital 4 times. Remember I was perfectly "normal" before surgery. I know it's my lack of hormones but no Dr has been able to help me, just gave me premarin and estratest. I now have an appt. with Dr Uzzi reiss and I can't wait! If he can just give me back 10% of the person I used to be I'll be happy. Good luck, keep us informed of how you're doing.
Unread 02-04-2005, 01:53 PM
2 years of problems

Thanks to everyone. I am on Zoloft currently. I am considering taking a holistic approach with vitamins and/or some herbs.

Do you know anyone who has done this and had success?

Again thanks for all the support!

I'll let you know what the dr tells me about my levels. I feel like my husband and kids think - - - Here she goes again!!

Basically I am a very happy person - I'm just tired of trying to be my old self like I'm sure alot of you have done for your families sake.

Again, thanks for everything!

PS - Please let me know about the holistic route
Unread 02-04-2005, 03:21 PM
2 years of problems

I see an Osteopathic doctor and also an acupuncturist. They have both helped me more than my regular doctors. On my first visit, while expensive, the Osteopathic doc spent about an hour and a half with me going over all my problems. I would recommend that you get copies of your medical records as it was extremely helpful to my doc to know what has been done and what I have tried.

The Osteo doc immediately recommended several tests and had several ideas. She even gave me a hug. That was three years ago. I am not cured, but she has never given up on me and I have had moments of relief. I truly believe if not for her I wouldn't be able to be sitting here right now typing this message. I would be curled up in bed unable to lift my head.

I've been on this Road for quite some time and it's my opinion that every option is worth exploring. I even had one of my regular mds tell me that Western Medicine had failed me and he thought I needed to explore other options. He than referred me to the Osteo doc. I say, open the door as you never know what you are going to find.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register