Lupron Injections | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lupron Injections Lupron Injections

Unread 02-09-2004, 01:43 PM
Lupron Injections

Hi. I had a visit with my GYN who has now decided that I am too much of a risk for surgery due to hypertension and asthma. The hypertension is under control, mind you...>:-{ Anyway, she suggested trying the Lupron shots....I have read the posts regarding Lupron and the various stories and experiences. I have also done extensive research on the drug and still can't decide right now what to do....As it is, I am perimenopausal and am suffering the hot flashes with a vengeance. They are a BEAST for me for some reason...??!!! Anyone had any recent experiences with Lupron? I need to make a decision fairly quickly. She thinks that putting me on Lupron for 1 year will buy me time to go full fledge into menopuase. Then the fibroids that I have will shrink even more than they would have while being on Lupron. But I absolutely dread the thought of more hot flashes than what I already contend with now!!! <:-O

Bevy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2004, 04:59 PM
Hi Bevy!

I'm 48 and after being diagnosed anemic and w/ a huge fibroid this past September, I was given a 3-month injection of Lupron. Scary stories all around. Just as menopause is different for every woman, so have the Lupron experiences. I don't mind telling you that I was scared half out of my wits before I took it. Some women have had horrible experiences. However, my experience was okay. Skin got a little drier, didn't have hot flashes but more of a warm flushed feeling, lost a few more hairs than normal when shampooing, and I had a headache within that first week (but the headache could've just been from the tension). I was under strict orders from my dr. to take 1200-1400 mg of calcium & 400 IU of Vitamin D daily. By the time I had my surgery in January I was no longer anemic. One of the things that I've noticed here is that women who have endometriosis seem to have had worse side effects with Lupron. For me, Lupron was a lifesaver, snd I'd make the same choice if I had to do it all over again.
Unread 02-09-2004, 07:39 PM
Lupron Injections

I have been on Lupron for seven months and now awaiting surgery 2/19/2004. For me it has been great. I was very anxious at first, after reading some of the nasty side effects some women have. But, I will tell you, the drug helped me feel much better, eventually stopped the bleeding, and made me feel much stronger. I started to get hot flashes after one month, but I learned, for me, that certain foods triggered the hot flashes. I also found that stress would bring them on. I guess it's good to get forced into a controlled menopause as you can monitor the hot flashes and what brings them on. I suggest you try the Lupron as if you don't have any adverse effects, you will see it really does help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2004, 06:18 AM
Lupron Injections

Okay, and Thank you for your help!! :-)
Unread 02-10-2004, 08:01 AM
Re:Lupron

I have to caution you. I researched Lupon injections pretty extensively and spoke with several women who told me to avoid it at all costs. They all had horrific experiences with Lupron.

I am surprised to read that Lupron is used for extended periods of time. All literature I read said that Lupron was not safe for use longer than 6 months.

I am certainly not trying to scare you, but you must do some more research before trying it. There is currently a petition before Congress to have it removed from the market (for use in women). There is a National Lupron Victims Coalition for women who have been damaged by Lupron. Form what I could tell, many women take it successfully, but many do not. ANd those that do not, claim that side effects never went away- even after they stopped taking Lupron.

From everything I learned, my DH and I decided that I would refuse to take Lupron.

Another alternative is a drug called Synarel. This is similar to Lupron, but it is a nasal spray that you must take daily. Talk to your doctor about it. My take on it was, instead of a 1-3 month shot, it is taken daily, so if the side effects become too much for you, than you can simply stop taking it and it will be out of your system sooner.

I'm not trying to scare you, but I did alot of research and I talked to several women who took it.

Good Luck to you.

Jenny
Unread 02-10-2004, 08:04 AM
Lupron Injections

Jenny!!

Thank you so very much for this information. I will do more research. They always say folow your instinct and mine seems to be telling me not to do it.....Thanks again!! Bless you...

Bevy
Unread 02-10-2004, 02:31 PM
Lupron Injections

I am currently taken the lupron shots from my doc. I never have gotten a REAL hot flash, only warm ones. Since I am always cold I actually enjoy and look forward to them . I have been on it for three months. It did not do what my doc had thought it would do for me so we just scheduled my surgery for March 3. Like some of the other posts you have I have only heard that lupron was for 6 months max. All the liturature I have says the same thing. My doc says he has never even given it that long because the long term effects have not been well. I hope you make the right decision for you and get a second opinion if you are undecided.
Unread 02-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Lupron Injections

Okay! Thank you Debi. I have been to so many doctors now that I have almost gotten confused!!! I am going to pray and see what God says to do. Being on anything for 1 year seems extreme unless it's a life-saving drug or something. My fibroids at the moment are yeilding me an 11 week sized uterus which doesn't seen so very large to me, but what do I know?? All I know is painful moments and heavy cycles WHEN they come...<:-?
Thanks again!

Bevy
Unread 02-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Lupron Injections

I was given lupron to shrink my endo before surgery.

I had migraines. I had uncontrollable joint pain. I lost 25-33% of my hair. I had insomnia. I had blurry vision. I had severe mood swings and literally cried for days. I had extreme hot flashes, as in fainting hot flashes. I had brain fog. And I still had a period, just less bleeding for longer.

PLEASE consider very carefully before you take this drug. It can cause a great deal of harm. It cannot cure your problem; it is only a temporary measure. It can cause bone loss. It turns off your pituitary gland, not just your ovaries.

Also, most insurance companies DO NOT pay for Lupron. A one-month shot cost me 650$. I have to pay that despite the misery this drug caused me.

I understand that some women do not suffer from Lupron; but some do. I would never have taken it if I knew anything about it before I was given that first shot.
Unread 02-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Lupron Injections

I had 6 months of Lupron therapy last year. I did have hot flashes, but that was about it. I did have endometerios and it did not help that. But it nice not having a period for a total of 8 months.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register