Anaesthetic | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Anaesthetic

Hi, this is a pre op question, but thought those who have done it might have more to say : )

I have the option, if all is ok, of having a TVH + rectocele repair + tvt (bladder incontinence repair) under a spinal, instead of gen anaesthetic.

My reasons for chosing this are that my last GA made me ill for days, I just vomitted and vomitted for hours and hours afterwards (and it was a tiny GA, about 10mins to get teeth out)

Also, if this makes sense, I feel the loss of my uterus is kind of a major event in life; and I don't want to miss it (not that I want to see the surgery, lol since I looked up pelvicfloor.com I do NOT want to wath); but I would rather be there.

Plus I am terrified of GAs. And I expect my recovery to be better if I don't have the effects of a GA to cope with

So, am I missing anyting? Any reasons why I shoudl reconsider?
Did u have a spinal? Are u glad u did? Or not?

All experiences gratefully relived!

Hope,in the UK, due for surgery the day after tomorrow (aaaaaaaaaaaargh, scarey)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Anaesthetic

If given the option I would go with the spinal. I wish I had that option. My doctor did not want me to have it because it would slow her down people sometimes cough when they give them some other type of gas I can't remember what it is called.
I had had two c-section with spinals and they when great.
I not going to say what happened with the GA but I would not do it again unless I don't have the choice.

I also decided to do what my doctor wanted becasue I knew she would do a better job if I did it the way like it.

Good luck!
Unread 11-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Anaesthetic

I had surgery two-1/2 years ago with the same results you are describing. The next day I puked and puked until a friend took me to ER that night. I was completely dehydrated and had absolutely nothing left, but could not stop.

When I went in for this surgery, I made a point of telling EVERYONE. The doctor, the nurses, and the anesthesia doc. They all assured me that there are many things they can do to help with that. Just to make sure, I also had my doc fill out a prescription for suppositories for nausea, just in case, because the last time, I couldn't keep the pills down.

The last thing I remember (and I will be forever grateful to this doctor) was the anesthesiologist, leaning over my right ear, whispering "everything will be ok. everything will be alright. You will feel fine when you wake up." She had the most soothing voice I had ever heard, and I fell right to sleep.

When I woke, I had no puking. I don't know what they gave me, but every operation I have ever had (and I've had a few), I always puke within minutes upon waking. This time, not once. It wasn't the soothing words - I'm sure (although I shall remember them forever). It was because she made sure that the doses were low, and that other items were added to combat that problem. Talk to your doctor and really make sure they understand that you are sensitive to that stuff and need any and all deterents to keep it away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Anaesthetic

I am the same way. GA has always made me sick and I would vomit and vomit.

I shared this with my gyn and anest. They both assured me that they had great drugs that would help when I awoke.

sure enough, I felt wonderful when I came to. No vomiting to speak of. They gave me a sickness patch and another drug in my IV before surgery. I cannot say enough about how important it is to communicate with your gyn and anest. about your issues with GA. They will more then likely have some type of solution.

I was not able to have a spinal or epidural. Too much work to be done. I would have gone under anyway as sleeping through the proceedure is much easier and faster.

I will be praying for you and a good healing experience after your surgery! My the good Lord grant your doctors with wisdom and you with courage and strength.

Take Care,
Char
Unread 11-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Anaesthetic

I was terrified of GA because I knew someone who had died during a routine knee operation because of a freak reaction. I shared my worries with my anesthesiologist. He said that's very rare, usually when the person has never been under before and has some condition they don't know about. He encouraged me to have the GA because I have asthma and he said with the spinal asthma can actually be more of a problem; the patient might get anxious and bring on an attack. I told him how I'd been very sick the last time I had GA, twenty years ago. He said the drugs they use now are much better. He also used soothing words as he put me under (he told me to go to my peaceful place, and I imagined a mountain meadow.)

The upshot is that I had the GA and it went great! I woke up in the recovery room feeling fine (and *very* happy to have woken up at all!) I had no ill effects except a stiff neck. I found out later from this forum that GA can cause that, and if you have neck problems to tell the anesthesiologist because they bend the neck way back and they can try to be careful if necessary.
Unread 11-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Anaesthetic

I was really worried about general also due to being very likely to puke. I puke over everything. Anestesiologist was wonderful. She had me use patch behind ear and then gave me great meds. After surgery I never felt nausious at all, felt great all night and the next morning UNTIL....DUMN nurse took me off off pump and gave me oral narcotic pain meds on an EMPTY STOMACH. That caused me to puke no matter WHAT anti nausia meds they gave me. STUPID STUPID STUPID. Even the nurses the next day said that was really dumn. SO, tell your doctor, anestesiologist and everybody about your tendency to get sick....THEN don't let anybody give you pain meds orally unless you have had something to eat with it.
Unread 11-23-2004, 04:57 PM
Forgot to mention

Please make sure you tell your anest. anything that he/she might need to know.

For instance:

I have TMJ, a very bad case and had an 8 hour surgery in 1993 to rebuild my jaw. For that reason the anest. had to use special tools to intubate me. He reassured me that he would be very careful not to dislocate my jaw as he intubated me and that he would take extra special care with me. He did a fantabulous job. I never had a sore jaw or any tmj symptons after the surgery.

so be sure to tell your anest. about any back/neck or jaw problems you might have as well as sickness to anest or pain meds, drug reactions or allergies. It mattered that I was allergic to bees/wasps. They had to use other drugs. go figure.

Take care and we will be thinking of you.

Char

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register